ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Super unleaded Vs Unleaded (172 phase 2, does it actually make a difference)

Clio 172 Phase 2
Does it actually make a big difference to the 172's performance if your running Super unleaded?

Is it worth the extra money for Super?

played with clio cup
hello all,run my cup mainly on super but i dont go outa my way for it.if theres none localy i bang in the 95 then off i go.Im a tech at subaru and can say on scoobys it will make a difference as the ecu will r****d the ignition timing to compensate for the loss of octain then reset itself when i notices 98.as for my cup i dont get proformance of super or extra milage(slight)but its bloody cheaper.try 2 tanks of 95 -2tanks98 then 2of 95 then try bp ultimate 99 -youll notice the difference then.
run what you can but id not recomend bottles of booster unless full tank.have fun

It won't make any difference Suburus and other turbo cars it does matter as they have boost and high CR's etc but the 172 engine isn't that higly tunned or running high engine compression ratios.
Some people do say it make a MPG difference or it better running and more powerful at low RPM though.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've run mine almost exclusively on Optimax since day one...when I've been caught out and had to use 95, it stutters, coughs, and is a pain in slow moving traffic.

Elise/VX220/R26
No difference at all apart from about the extra 7p a litre that goes into Shells pension fund. Optimax is a SCAM!

NO WAY if i fill mine with Morrisons syrup it misses pops n farts, Optimax makes it run silk every time, well worth it. Oh so why does it reccomend 98 on the filler cap?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Sainsburys Super is only 2p more per litre and many regard it as being on a par with Optitat.
I can honestly say that my car does run more smoothly on the Sainsburys stuff but I don't think any performance increase would be noticeable.
Still, it can't do any harm.

impreza wrx
Unless the map in the ecu is for 97/98 ron, then there wil be no benifit it putting SUL in a car that normally runs 95 ron. The increase in power on higher octane fuels comes from them having a higher flame front control, therefore allowing the mapper to increase the ignition to higher levels with less chance of det.

Nathan

jzr

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
i run my scooby one tesco's sh*t a few times as optimax is a 15 min drive away an all i gotta say is tesco is crap my car was missing an did a lot less miles. Were as optimax the car pulled like a train an was so much smoother

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
MarkCup said:
I've run mine almost exclusively on Optimax since day one...when I've been caught out and had to use 95, it stutters, coughs, and is a pain in slow moving traffic.

Totally agree. There may not be a performance increase, but it runs and sounds so much smoother on super / opti, particularly at lower revs.

Peddled device
Anyone know if putting an octane booster in unleaded works out cheaper/same performance as optimax?
If so which octane booster do you recomend?

fat 182
my 182 runs better on 98 when its cold runs like a bag of nails on 95 when its cold and i get better mpg on 98