ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Super Unleaded

Might be old news, but Ive recently started putting Super Unleaded in me motor instead of the usual cheaper Unleaded.

And now me little clio flys!

For £2 extra a tank its well recommended!

I always mean to try it once, just to see if its worth the extra.. never get round to doing it tho!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

its 98ron instead of 97!!! more oxygen content. wont make a massive difference but the difference will be there...at least after being on super for a while ive totally converted to optimax now.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Chief on 07 January 2004

Is Optimax more expensive than Super Unleaded?
Nope...

Oddly its cheaper than SUL even though its higher octane?!

My cars always run on Optimax, or SUL if I cant get to a Shell garage, as some cars (like the 172 & Cup) need high octane fuel.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by nickyb121 on 07 January 2004

NEED or are RECOMENDED?
They will run on 95 octane fuel, but its "recommended" you run on 98 octane...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Just thought I saw you write "NEED", must get my eyes tested!!!
Well you NEED 98 octane fuel to get the quoted power & torque from the 172 engine... ;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Youll need to wish pretty hard to get those figures!
so will you now that your ladys gone.No use having a nice figure in your head...lol

ian

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

The difference in performance between SUL and Optimax can be down to the engine.

My old 172 seemed to prefer SUL to Optimax. But the BMW loves Optimax.

Ill wait and see what the V6 likes, either way Im expecting it to like a fair old tipple.:devilish:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Youll need to wish pretty hard to get those figures!
Not really...

Its 172ps and 147lb/ft of torque (@ fly) for a standard car.

My Cup has 174bhp and 152lb/ft of torque (@ fly), although it has got a Viper fitted.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, 1/4 mile in 14.5secs @ 94mph can back that up too... ;)

There were also two totally boggo low milage 172s on the rollers with me, both made 144bhp @ wheels, which is 169bhp @ fly, which is cunningly 172ps! :eek:

Also, there torque figures were 142lb/ft @ fly and 144lb/ft @ fly respectively, so they both have good ones too.

To be honest, there were a few "duffers" about in the early days, but lately they all seem to be making good power as standard!

Shell quote Optimax as "exceeds 98RON" for their octane.

Their PR man reckons it is a genuine 99 octane fuel. All others, including BPs new Ultimate, are only 97Ron. & about 4p dearer!!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 07 January 2004

There were also two totally boggo low milage 172s on the rollers with me, both made 144bhp @ wheels, which is 169bhp @ fly, which is cunningly 172ps! :eek:

Also, there torque figures were 142lb/ft @ fly and 144lb/ft @ fly respectively, so they both have good ones too.

:D

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Dootchy on 07 January 2004

Shell quote Optimax as "exceeds 98RON" for their octane.

Their PR man reckons it is a genuine 99 octane fuel. All others, including BPs new Ultimate, are only 97Ron. & about 4p dearer!!
Yeah, Ive seen an independant test that showed 98.3 RON, so its good stuff...

C

Cupster

I been using BP Ultimate recently and its the best yet in my opinion. Optimax doesnt seem to make a difference compared to normal super unleaded.

must admit does run smoother and bit quicker.is good for the engine. is bit like the choice of beer or shandy?? have heard few bad things tho,causing probs to engines,was when optimax 1st came out

Quote: Originally posted by david_129 on 07 January 2004

its 98ron instead of 97!!! more oxygen content. wont make a massive difference but the difference will be there...at least after being on super for a while ive totally converted to optimax now.
really!

Thats a first for me!

All this malrky over RON, its makes little difference.

Besides, all this quoted RON is useless without any other info on MON, or even if the RON is the MON/RON average.