ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharged 172 vs Vee

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Better than yours. C*nt.
It's a car and it moves in a forward motion - what's the problem?

Where does the Vee belong? A showroom is my guess!

It's just not designed for that - it's designed for being a sublime and stunning road car. Something it accomplishes 10 times over the 1*2.

MCS R56
It's just not designed for that - it's designed for being a sublime and stunning road car. Something it accomplishes 10 times over the 1*2.

I'm not sure any manufacturer, apart from the Americans (less so now) design their cars with the quarter mile as their main focus, so this rule applies to 90% of road cars, probably all. Whether the V6 is a better road car than the 1*2's is debatable. If you like it, fair enough.

yea mate mines a ph1 172 replica 1.2 i have to admit :rasp:

seriously, gti's and vts's are really good off the line, much better geared 1st 2nd and 3rd, by which time the quarter mile will be over and the 172's will be finding it hard to keep up

before any of your other funny comments i do own a ph1 172 and have previously owned slightly breathed on gti and vts and both have been very quick cars, certainly better than the 172 and others off the line

Off the line is a fair comment but a drag race isn't over in 1st gear, so there are other factors. The 172's wouldn't be finding it hard to keep up, albeit there wouldn't be much in it. You make it sound like the GTi's or VTS's would be taking it easy.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Off the line is a fair comment but a drag race isn't over in 1st gear, so there are other factors. The 172's wouldn't be finding it hard to keep up, albeit there wouldn't be much in it. You make it sound like the GTi's or VTS's would be taking it easy.
Fair comment, but they're also quicker through 2nd in my experience, a good launch in a gti/vts through 1st and 2nd and the 172 will be struggling to keep up maybe until 3rd

Ok it would be a bit closer than i made out but even still, if the clio's engines were a little more revy and responsive (not always possible with 2.0's) then they would be awesome on the quarter

My point really being they are more suited to track work once rolling than a quarter mile

IMPO v6's arent that quick because of them being rather lardy, or atleast from what ive witnessed, and i imagine the charged 172 will beat one by a few car lengths

Ph1
I so often question why anyone feels the need to go a split second faster than another car. Lacking something maybe?

These cars also move in a reverse direction. A 'race' in reverse would at least be interesting, and perhaps more fun.

Why does it matter what is faster?

Just shut up and drive!

You 2 not familiar with track related activities i take it? :rasp:

A quarter mile is a way of finding out how quick a car accelerates in other words a true reflection of how quick a car is.

Some folk like ragging their car round a track, some like taring up a quarter mile. Its the whole point in modding a engine. If you dont track it theres no point ..

Ph1
Fair comment, but they're also quicker through 2nd in my experience, a good launch in a gti/vts through 1st and 2nd and the 172 will be struggling to keep up maybe until 3rd

Ok it would be a bit closer than i made out but even still, if the clio's engines were a little more revy and responsive (not always possible with 2.0's) then they would be awesome on the quarter

My point really being they are more suited to track work once rolling than a quarter mile

IMPO v6's arent that quick because of them being rather lardy, or atleast from what ive witnessed, and i imagine the charged 172 will beat one by a few car lengths

Usually only a few car lengths in it but the Clio stock for stock always has the edge

clio v6 ph1 230
trust me, you'd beat a vee, the vee is about much more than acceleration.... i know i'd not fancy a full on race against a 172 s/c'd especially when the road get's twisty...

Cooksport Fleet
You 2 not familiar with track related activities i take it? :rasp:

A quarter mile is a way of finding out how quick a car accelerates in other words a true reflection of how quick a car is.

Some folk like ragging their car round a track, some like taring up a quarter mile. Its the whole point in modding a engine. If you dont track it theres no point ..

No mate, i dont have a clue about track related activities :p

Its all very well getting as much power as u can out of ur car, but the majority of people couldnt drive a greasy stick up a dogs ass, Spend all the money on track days and tuition. Thats where the fun is at.

172 mk2/racing puma
just make sure you dont come up against a supercharged v6.check you tube and watch how fast it is dam quick

LY 200
LOL @ this thread and the Vee owners thinking there cars are something comparible to cars such as a 599 in the looks department!

They did look good five or six years ago but even cars such as the new RS's (Clios not the even better looking Ford) and CTR's are in line (or at the very least very close) in the looks department imo....Get over yoursleves FFS the car has wow factor for it being rare to people that are not in the know but i for one dont get as excited about them as i used to!

MCS R56
LOL @ this thread and the Vee owners thinking there cars are something comparible to cars such as a 599 in the looks department!

They did look good five or six years ago but even cars such as the new RS's (Clios not the even better looking Ford) and CTR's are in line (or at the very least very close) in the looks department imo....Get over yoursleves FFS the car has wow factor for it being rare to people that are not in the know but i for one dont get as excited about them as i used to!

At last...a man that speaks sense!:rasp:

Take a bow!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Gaz you're such a pathetic wee homo! ;)

Vee owners, i for one, couldn't give a monkeys! We love the car for it's looks and presence, noise and soul. Not the pace, or tunability.

If it was that s**t and didn't have the "wow factor" why can i not drive mine without people's neck snapping and people coming up and asking questions.

It's a special car, end of! It could be 172 pace and i still wouldn't care.

Gets boring, watchin the same old half wits dissing it constantly...So you don't like it...Care?! Naww!

LY 200
Its not a s**t car...I like it but i dont think it commands the same road respect you lot would have us deprieved 1*2 owners believe!

At the end of the day its still a Clio regardless of how 'different' it looks.

MCS R56
Gaz you're such a pathetic wee homo! ;)

Vee owners, i for one, couldn't give a monkeys! We love the car for it's looks and presence, noise and soul. Not the pace, or tunability.

If it was that s**t and didn't have the "wow factor" why can i not drive mine without people's neck snapping and people coming up and asking questions.

It's a special car, end of! It could be 172 pace and i still wouldn't care.

Gets boring, watchin the same old half wits dissing it constantly...So you don't like it...Care?! Naww!

Hook. Line. Sinker.

Awesome.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Its not a s**t car...I like it but i dont think it commands the same road respect you lot would have us deprieved 1*2 owners believe!

Agree'd! Moving on? ;)

320d

I disagree. You see a 1*2 and the average person wouldn't be able to tell it from a normal Clio.

A woman in my old work said to me one day, Brett you like Clios, I saw a great big wide Clio on the motorway the other day what was it?

She wouldn't bat an eyelid at any other Clio tbh.

Cammed 182 :)
yea mate mines a ph1 172 replica 1.2 i have to admit :rasp:

seriously, gti's and vts's are really good off the line, much better geared 1st 2nd and 3rd, by which time the quarter mile will be over and the 172's will be finding it hard to keep up

before any of your other funny comments i do own a ph1 172 and have previously owned slightly breathed on gti and vts and both have been very quick cars, certainly better than the 172 and others off the line

I cant believe you would even write that vts/gti have much less power and ok are a bit lighter but power to weight ratio is much less than 1*2 s
over the strip a perfect run in a vts semi stripped is 15.6 @86/87 with on the 1*2 stock you should be aiming for 15.0 @ 93/94 flat totally standard. The reason why 1*2 are harder to launch is more power. But with some practice and good rubber its easy the key is all in the launch for good times.

R26, R27
The vee has no chance unless your weight is around 250 kilos or you completely mess the start.once your moving you should not have any problems. Had 220 bhp r5 gt turbo not much could keep up with it at that time.

wht are 2 completly different cars being compared in a race.

a mid mounted NA v6
a fwd hothatch which is charged

have a race with another hothatch which has been tunned

a mildly tuned meggan
a tuned golf gti or focus st
i know theres a lad in middlesbourgh with a SC type r, sure he'd be up for it.

i think its silly to compare with a vee.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
V6 Clio's arent fast

Ive seen standard 172's run better times than standard V6's - a supercharged 172 would blitz a V6. If you supercharge a V6 though the outcome would be different ! ?

Better than yours. C*nt.
V6 Clio's arent fast

Ive seen standard 172's run better times than standard V6's - a supercharged 172 would blitz a V6. If you supercharge a V6 though the outcome would be different ! ?

Did the V6s stall? Having come from 2 182s to a Vee I can safely say in a straight line there's a not insignificant difference in pace between the two. Particularly once rolling!

And those who slate it's road presence - pfft! All I get when I get out is people stopping and going "bloody hell" - the same people that walked past the Exige without even batting an eyelid!

Even my dentist loves it!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I disagree. You see a 1*2 and the average person wouldn't be able to tell it from a normal Clio.

A woman in my old work said to me one day, Brett you like Clios, I saw a great big wide Clio on the motorway the other day what was it?

She wouldn't bat an eyelid at any other Clio tbh.
Yes but most people think it's a normal clio with a body kit ;)

Likes Ali's campus sport v6 rep.

MCS R56
wht are 2 completly different cars being compared in a race.

a mid mounted NA v6
a fwd hothatch which is charged

have a race with another hothatch which has been tunned

a mildly tuned meggan
a tuned golf gti or focus st
i know theres a lad in middlesbourgh with a SC type r, sure he'd be up for it.

i think its silly to compare with a vee.

There is no reason not to compare them. They are both cars and are both hatchbacks. I'm not sure what cateogry you think the V6 belongs in, if not with Golfs, Meganes etc.

LY 200

Maybe a boggo 172 but the 182's with the twin exhausts and wheels (especially the funky coloured RB's, LY's, Infernos etc) aswell as Cups/Trophys look different to the average 1.2!

I didnt say they didnt have presence anyway, just not the presence a Ferrari demands which is at the end of the day what most in here are implying.

Agree'd! Moving on? ;)

I would look at a Vee if i had a spare 14/15k floating about and money for a normal daily dirver however i would not fork that kind of money out if it was going to be my sole daily driver - If i was i wouldnt have been test driving 200's lately! ;)

MCS R56
tuned vs untuned perhaps?

Quite possibly. It's still a reasonable thread - the OP wants to know what people think would be quicker. Thats how I see it anyway.

But yes, the tuned v std debate opens up a lot of variables...throw in the letter V and the number 6 and all hell breaks loose!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
vee's do look cool and have a good road presence, as a rare car, they're far from supercar status though

Would you call a sierra rs500 a supercar? I doubt it

Anyhow, regardless of which one is faster i'd imagine the chances of this supercharged 172 running into a vee on the road is very mild never mind on the strip

Be good to see though, santa pod anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.