ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharged clio photos

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Mine that one :)
I commented on it mate, seems to pull nice....although sounds like youre riding the clutch slightly :eek:

get that 30-110 up there when you get chance. Just noticed where you live, I could be tempted to drive down and take a closer look if its ok sometime :)

williams and trophy
watch out for the charger bracket breaking..unless theyv modified the design. 1st one they did was swapped for a caravan for someones maaaa. ;)

S4 Avant
Just adding my two penneth, having recently gone from 16"s to 15"s, I'm amazed I didn't do it sooner.

The bigger profile gives loads less road noise, and a much less "fragile" feeling ride. Why in gods name any one would have 17s is beyond me, I'll stick with my cheap comfy tires :approve:

R26
I commented on it mate, seems to pull nice....although sounds like youre riding the clutch slightly :eek:

get that 30-110 up there when you get chance. Just noticed where you live, I could be tempted to drive down and take a closer look if its ok sometime :)

Yeah probably was.. not easy to record, keep hold of the wheel and shift gears all at once so i did fluff it abit, and it was wet so not really ideal atall :p
Ill record a proper one when we have a dry day.. and if your interested i wouldnt mind letting you go for a blast in it dude although my fixed buckets are set quite far back as im 6"3 so you may not be able to reach the pedals!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Yeah probably was.. not easy to record, keep hold of the wheel and shift gears all at once so i did fluff it abit, and it was wet so not really ideal atall :p
Ill record a proper one when we have a dry day.. and if your interested i wouldnt mind letting you go for a blast in it dude although my fixed buckets are set quite far back as im 6"3 so you may not be able to reach the pedals!
Thats fine mate I'm 6ft 2" so shouldnt be too much of a problem. Are you going to get a thread up on yours? I know you had engine issues but it would be great to read through your experiences as I'd love this conversion on my own car. I will take you up on that offer at some time mate, maybe when the weather clears up :)

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Just adding my two penneth, having recently gone from 16"s to 15"s, I'm amazed I didn't do it sooner.

The bigger profile gives loads less road noise, and a much less "fragile" feeling ride. Why in gods name any one would have 17s is beyond me, I'll stick with my cheap comfy tires :approve:

+1 I am loving the slightly softer nature of the 15" 2118's I'm now running, has taken the edge off the crashy ride on coilies

lift number 1 @ btm
The contact patch is the tyre width nothing to do with how big the rim is

15s would be a better performance wheel, less weight and less circumfrance meaning the engine can get its performance onto the road quicker.

The contact patch is slightly larger with a larger wheel, it has length as well as width, imagine a segment of the wheel and the 17's will look to have less curvature.

The thing most people are missing is rotational inertia, smaller wheels will normally be lighter anyway but the larger wheels will have a lot more inertia to overcome both accelerating and braking. They will also need more effort to turn against the axis, i.e. steering. This means that there are greater forces working against any direction changes.
Also to be considered is the increase in gearing with a larger wheel, probably not an issue with a sc clio until you think it also applies under braking.

I'm sure a clio could be set up to run 17's and perform as well as with 15's, but it would involve redesigning the suspension geometry and brakes.

mso

172 cup supercharged

Come on up to Swindon I'll show you how it handles, 15s for boys 17s for men!!!!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
The thing most people are missing is rotational inertia, smaller wheels will normally be lighter anyway but the larger wheels will have a lot more inertia to overcome both accelerating and braking. They will also need more effort to turn against the axis, i.e. steering. This means that there are greater forces working against any direction changes.

right and they are good things how? they are bigger and heavier so the engine has to work harder to turn them, thus stressing the transmition a little more. the rotational inertia they carry when moving means the brake has to work harder to stop them, the larger contact patch exerts more pressure to the tarmac so makes turning more difficult?

not that i really care i have 15s, i like 15s they feel to me alot better than 17s and the tyre choice is very wide so im happy but each to there own i guess

lift number 1 @ btm
I'm for the 15's fella, it's what I run.
I was meaning the people going on about 17's being better.

The larger patch is actually an advantage for the 17's in terms of ultimate grip, but it's more to do with gyroscopics why they are harder to turn, it's like if you tilt a spinning top it will always try to return to vertical.

Evo 8 MR
The contact patch is slightly larger with a larger wheel, it has length as well as width, imagine a segment of the wheel and the 17's will look to have less curvature.

Also to be considered is the increase in gearing with a larger wheel, probably not an issue with a sc clio until you think it also applies under braking.

I'm sure a clio could be set up to run 17's and perform as well as with 15's, but it would involve redesigning the suspension geometry and brakes.

The amount of s**te posted in here about wheels is unbelievable, I'm glad you posted this.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

This, 100%

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'm for the 15's fella, it's what I run.
I was meaning the people going on about 17's being better.

The larger patch is actually an advantage for the 17's in terms of ultimate grip, but it's more to do with gyroscopics why they are harder to turn, it's like if you tilt a spinning top it will always try to return to vertical.

LOL! - No doubt on some level that's correct but really wtf!! I doubt even a racing driver would consider the implications of gyroscopics and spinning tops!! It's all about feel and 17's feel better than 15's, much like the 19's feel better than the 18's.

lift number 1 @ btm
LOL! - No doubt on some level that's correct but really wtf!! I doubt even a racing driver would consider the implications of gyroscopics and spinning tops!! It's all about feel and 17's feel better than 15's, much like the 19's feel better than the 18's.

Aye I know it's a bit b****cks, but no more than a lot of stuff on here, not aimed at you by the way.
I'm sure if I thought about it i could explain it a bit better, but it's a long time since I've done any physics!

At the end of the day it's all personal choice with driving style being the biggest influence of all. but those are the mechanical reasons why a smaller wheel reacts quicker.

Evo 8 MR

AFAIK the racing driver doesn't have anything to do with the car other than drive it and give feedback to the mechanics and engineers so that they can get the best out of the car.

It's the mechanics/engineers that look into all the physics.

I know you are simple minded however so I won't go into any more detail.

This thread is going slightly off topic lol.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
This thread is identicle to rows/opinions made on a forum I used to be on regarding Mini's. Which was better...10", 12" or 13"??? 10" wheels always won as I'm sure 15"s will here. In general, the smaller the wheel/tyre combo, the better the handling. HOWEVER, the cars suspension geometry, braking system and weight play a big part in this debate so its not always the case. This fella for instance may want to run bigger brakes than whats possible with 15" ones. Another reason might be he gets less torque steer (not bumpsteer) with a bigger wheel setup. Horses for coarses and until you have set a particular car up with X ammount of castor and camber and X ammount of spring rate and damping its hard to say what suits what.

williams and trophy
^^^^^ always loved the 10s on the minis.....but...there had to be 1 somewhere.....i did feel the 12s gave better response to top end, as you would expect. the 10s were great for acc but the car topped out too soon, adding 12s gave that little bit more top end without too much taken away from the acc.

swings and roundabouts really.

but seriously...keep an eye on the charger bracket. i know 1 thats broken and they never even replaced it.....even after they thrashed it to death round fcs as a 'demo' car....just as well the owner was in the states at the time tbh.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
^^^^^ always loved the 10s on the minis.....but...there had to be 1 somewhere.....i did feel the 12s gave better response to top end, as you would expect. the 10s were great for acc but the car topped out too soon, adding 12s gave that little bit more top end without too much taken away from the acc.

swings and roundabouts really.

Is just a simple diff change though. My last mini had a 3.66 diff that mad it a screamer. Could always have fitted a 2.9 or 3.2 though. Gearing is never a problem with mini's. Only hero's roll with 10" stretched rubber lmao

1.2 clio dynamique
why do i keep hearing this,... the wheels are too big!!, bull if u ask me if they r 17s which i think they r, there perfect fit, 15's look too small! like runnin round on disc brakes. lol

Stripped yozza'd cup
why do i keep hearing this,... the wheels are too big!!, bull if u ask me if they r 17s which i think they r, there perfect fit, 15's look too small! like runnin round on disc brakes. lol

Clio's look s**t on 17's.
16's are best overall for looks, unless your car is on coilovers.

15's aren't just for looks. They're better in every respect, better handling, better acceleration, cheaper tyres, better range of tyres, lighter etc etc etc.

Why don't you find out why people say they're too big before you decide whether it's bull or not.