ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

superchargers

Ly Megane 230 F1
ive been looking around cs/ google/ youtube for videos...but im not really getting the information im after.

Ive only ever had turbo charged cars so i know a fare bit about turbos but i know nothing about superchargers.

If anyone could help answer some questions on them..(sorry if they are silly questions).. these questions are generally just aimed at the eaton m45 supercharger but i know the principle will be there for other models/makes

1. do superchargers like turbos, all have an oil feed and oil return?
2. ive read up that supercharger kits come with oil coolers? is this more a safety item or a necessary item?
3. are superchargers water cooled?
4. do superchargers like turbos have one inlet (from an airfilter usually) and then one outlet (to an intercooler/chargecooler) is there any more ports?

if some of these are silly questions try not to laugh at me :) haha

Changes to often
a super charger is oil cool like a turbo, but the main diffrence is thats it run off the crank via a belt in most cases, this is why you produce more torque with them, as it works to suck the air in as soon as you touch the throttle where as with a turbo, the turbine takes time to spin up. very basic explanation of them but hope it helps.

Ly Megane 230 F1
thanks for the reply... i understand how they work (i think) its more what other parts are attatched to the supercharger ? i dont know to much about that :)

Changes to often
im not to sure myself thats all i really know about them lol, other than the fact they can be repaired if they go wrong inlike a turbo. lol i dno , i just prefer a superchager, i love the whine :)

Ly Megane 230 F1
im sure someone will say something :).. and depending in what was damaged most turbos are repairable ;). i do love a supercharger whine tho :)

Ly Megane 230 F1
another question to add to the list...

how does a supercharger controll the pressure that enters the engine?

SQ5
ive been looking around cs/ google/ youtube for videos...but im not really getting the information im after.

Ive only ever had turbo charged cars so i know a fare bit about turbos but i know nothing about superchargers.

If anyone could help answer some questions on them..(sorry if they are silly questions).. these questions are generally just aimed at the eaton m45 supercharger but i know the principle will be there for other models/makes

1. do superchargers like turbos, all have an oil feed and oil return?
2. ive read up that supercharger kits come with oil coolers? is this more a safety item or a necessary item?
3. are superchargers water cooled?
4. do superchargers like turbos have one inlet (from an airfilter usually) and then one outlet (to an intercooler/chargecooler) is there any more ports?

if some of these are silly questions try not to laugh at me :) haha

1. They do have an oil feed, different superchargers run different setups. The Rotrex has its own system using traction fluid, twin screw superchargers (Eaton) are filled with oil and that's it, they then need refilling and oil changes but it's at long intervals.

2. I don't think the Rotrex from new comes with and oil cooler, but it's going to be safer running with one to keep the oil cool. The Eaton will just have its enclosed oil system and that's it.

3. No

4. The Rotrex supercharger (centrifugal) is basically a turbo without the hot side, instead having a pulley. Then the cold side is basically the same as a turbo. The Eaton (Twin Screw) pulls air in from the side and twists it through two parts to compress the air and pushes it out through the bottom

569cfaf9-9d58-7932.jpg

569cfaf9-9d62-fcf4.jpg

Do a quick wiki search on superchargers, loads of information on the different kind and how they work.

Ly Megane 230 F1
Thanks for answering all that questions danny..cleared allot up for me there. How do you controll boost pressure in a superchrger?

SQ5
As said above, a restrictor pipe in the pipe work for a Rotrex style or a plate for the twin screw.