ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SUPERCHIP OR RSPORT ECU

hell oeveryone..i know a chip is a chip but rsport ecu costs 260+ fitted and a superchip for cup costs 185 fitted....is the superchip better than the rsport or are they the same?? many thanks for all your help guys!!! the guys who might be fitting it have said that it could give me 10bhp!!! they are in chester!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Rsport.

if you get 10bhp from a superchip i will beat a 360cs with my metro.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well £185 fitted for a chip is a very good price!

Wheres that from, is it a genuine "Superchip" or another kind of chip, and do they have a rolling road to be able to setup fuelling?!

Its a decent price, but you will not see +10bhp in a million years...

Nippy white cup

Get the Rsport m8....And fit it yourself. Its a piece of piss to do. Doesnt add much (if any) power but with other bits makes a difference.

Chris

thanks for that lads...if you go to motorsportworld.co.uk and go the chip part you will see the 172 and the figure of 10+hp...they are genuine superchips and they are fitted in chester...i know 10bhp sounds rediculous however if the two are the same then the cheaper is better surely? plus i have heard that the rsport cant cope with alot of mods but i still dont know if this is true.....HELP

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The R-Sport can cope with limited mods such as a filter, de-cat & zorst, but then again the Superchip can only do the same. However it can be re-programmed to suit specific mods if you require, but obviously this costs more money.

If you want a system whereby it can be adjusted to suit all kinds of mods (heads, cams, TBs, etc...) then you really need something programmable such as a Dastek.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well, chris n nic has had both, so hes the man to ask...

However, the fact that he had the superchip removed and then went for an R-Sport instead, which he loves might give you an idea!

R

rich[182]

been here before, superchips website even have a 172 graph showing +10bhp, at the end of the day the r-sport doesnt increase bhp so if all they do is correct fuelling a bit then go for the cheapest !!

Id go for a Rsport one personally as its warently safe as it can be reomved sure the superchip is invisiable but tunning th 172 has been discussed before and somehimes the wrong maps can serious damage the engine if theyre pushed to far.

Heard a few scare stories about superchips sure there a big company and look after people but it would get me worried best go for a seperate ECU.

Then again Id save the money and get a cold air intake which would be safer and the same sort of possible gains.

Exact gains for a remap arnt exactly Gary Brown on here has a superchiped Cup and got about 10hp from it but maybe that was just luck the R-Sport one doesnt seem to give much more pwoer just cleans up the power delivery throughout the rev range which is more important IMO.

EDD

I dunno about the R sport ECU, if your all so worried about using a set map that might not suit all the cars dues to variences between engines they why stand firm with the Rsport in hand?

I never had one problem working with superchips, they are big and if you talk to them (aadmittedly we did have some pull) and ask the to amend what you need done, then they will.

The chip as such didnt improve bhp by more than a few peak figures, but it smoothed the graph something lovely and the car was far more drivable.

Admittedly, i wouldnt plump for any slap on chip really, but its not as bad as some make out.

But just sticking on a cold air feed has a more dire effect than any remap does on fueling.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 13 February 2004

superchips website even have a 172 graph showing +10bhp,
But Ive seen "real" results on a Cup that was RRd standard, then had a Superchip and re-run on the rollers...

It only gained +3bhp!

Clio Dci

rich

after the rr day in bury, the results all seemed accurate and consistant over the day. my cup got 153 atw which is around 10bhp over standard (boyo etc) 172s on the day. that was with the superchip, magnex and green panel.

granted i had not had the car on a rr before the mods and it could have been good one from the factory but with renaults history, i doubt it.

i would like to try a cup that has the rsport ecu for on the road comparison as it has been stated drivability sometimes makes the difference over the bhp.

lol..thanks guys i am know more confused than ever.....i am tempted to go to the superchip people but i think hillpower fitting it would be better ..supppose i can trust him more...anymore views anyone....does the rsport make pick up better then with no mods or woith other mods will it be better..thanks again for evetyones views

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i think the r sport ecu works better if you do the exhaust and air filter etc first.after all the car it was designed for had a better exhaust and intake system.

Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 15 February 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i am tempted to go to the superchip people but i think hillpower fitting it would be better ..supppose i can trust him more...anymore views anyone....does the rsport make pick up better then with no mods or woith other mods will it be better..thanks again for evetyones views
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go with the safer option of R-Sport Hillpower know what there on about more than Superchip dealers IMO.
R-Sport will take account of mods but no more so than stock or Superchips maps.
If you want th ebst ECU get a unichip (have a search for more details) they can be remaped all the time with new maps to take advantage of everything.
But Unichippers have sometime been unknowledgable about the 172 engine at overtune it causing damage so you may need to shop around.
Ps this will cost you about £250 for the uni chip and £250 for everytime you have new maps made (depending on company)
EDD

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 16 February 2004

If you want th ebst ECU get a unichip (have a search for more details) they can be remaped all the time with new maps to take advantage of everything.
Hmmm would say that unichip is "The Best" mate, I wouldnt say that my Omex is "the best" either (though it is damn damn damn good ;-) )

This is silly.

Despite superchips past and whatever people seem to think of them, they are very clued up about what they do. They really wouldnt be in a world wide business if they werent. Its the agents who dont know diddly. And If you ask they are more than capable for taking into account any modifications youve made to induction and exhaust.

Now, dont get me wrong, im not defending or even promoting them, this is not the case. But when you all so worried about stock basic maps that you cant change, are all so gung ho about this R sport ECU. Its the bloody same thing, they change a few minor things.....your not able to tell them what your mods are, it doesnt even take into account any possible variations.

I dont see how you all refuse one product, yet willfully throw yourselves at another which is the same thing in another packet.

This is not slander towards any product, or person or company, and im not promoting any of the same either. Im jsut curious towards many peoples thinking.

R

rich[182]

can anyone explain how the superchips is claimed to be undetactable by dealers, i thought it was a piggy-back chip thats plugs onto the std ecu, surely therefore its physically detectable, also is it plugged into the std ecu or is it soldered onto it and therefore not instantly removeable

or is it just a downloadable software type mod

surely if the car was plugged into a renault diagnostic machine they could tell it was chipped ??

anyone

Nippy white cup

When I got my Superchip fitted, it definatley made a difference (from a driving point of view) but didnt add much if any power. I then fitted the Rsport (after they reset back to std) and again it added no power! I was quite surprised as it felt much better. Now with decat/exhaust it seems much better, revs higher and pulls much better through 3rd, 4th and 5th. Definately recommend it to anyone.

Chris

R

rich[182]

me understand now, but can a dealer tell that the engine, timing, ignition, fuelling parameters have been modified if its hooked up to their diagnostic computer if it goes in for work

if car wasnt running right and it went into dealer surely the first thing they would look at are the above such settings ?? and therefore theyd know something was amiss ??

My father run a ren dealership in HK, and i was building a RS-R conversion as a dealer upgrade, and the superchip was programmed in using the OBDII port undr the ashtray.

we couldnt tell on the clip machine and actually erased it by accident! lol

SO we put red tape over the OBDII port to say taht this one had been chipped etc.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the software version in the computer identification screen would probably show up a superchip if you knew what you were looking for but to be honest i dowt hardly any renault techs would notice it.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

if your looking for an easy one off chip then a (OBD type flash upgrade) (aka superchips etc etc) is good...

if you want to change things down the line, say fit flowed head (from Ben R etc) or decat it later etc etc then a Unichip or SMT (we do those) are better options IMO...

tweak on the RR drive home again.. no need to purchase new map.

typically superchip type dealers will charge for new map each time a change is made... but as Ben says Superchips themselves are very good themselves.... the dealers dont need to know that much about the acutally mapping process for them to sell you a chip...

Andy

GDI

cheers everyone..so basically if i got the decat on with the inlet manifold and then chipped it the car would then be ok and run fine? i dont think i will go beyond these as mods for the car..except nitrous years down the line...what you think everyone? benr did you get my pm mate about the chip intersted in your views mate

At the recent Surrey rolling road day, the three highest performing cars all had custom Superchips programmed by Sanspeed.

bloody hell this is interesting reading...which is the best way to do the following mods then in which order? carbon kit,zorst,decat,inlet work and remap...this is all i am wanting to do to the car to be honest not going down cam route etc...i think i will get mine done at hillpower to be honest as it is more local to me and the guy knows what he is doing????????

Clio 172 mk2
Sounds like a superships or R sport remap would be suitable for your planned mods.

Unichip or SMT piggyback probably more suited to cams, throttle bodies etc.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Haha.

This is quality. I'm guessing because you can't get a Superchip from Chav-Tec Racing then they must be s**t!!!

Superchips remap the car with settings taken from another car. Whenever you ask them to remap a car they haven't done before (usually if you're one of the first with that car in the country), then they'll give you a deal for letting them use your car to create a standard map for the masses.

And considering all cars leave the factory with the same settings, it should give the same gains to all cars. Obviously this is never the case, but it's not going to be a big difference.

Still, they know what they're doing, and is how they got where they are today, I thought it was £250~ for a petrol remap though. If you've just installed cams then they will (paid by the hour) sit the car on the RR and test different settings until it's perfect.

Why people would install a plugin box is beyond me, they're almost all generally harsh on the engine and primarily, it's obviously a modification, whereas a superchip is completely invisible. And Renault servicing doesn't have the capability to see it so it doesn't have to be moved come service time.

VRS
i opted for neither and got an rstuning remap by paul :D
the remap made a word of difference when combined with my mods :)
the car pulls a lot better from lower revs throughout the gears

andy

i would get one from here too buddy but aint in leeds? what is his website? dont he do specials for the faithful?...