ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Surely People Don’t Declare Everything

Hi all

Just thinking, people do so many mods to their cars.

Aftermarket filters, zorsts, sideskirts, colour coding, spoilers, lowering, rims, bucket seats, gauges, BOVs, dumpvalves, uprated intercoolers and then the rest of the engine mods, SURELY people dont declare these extensive list of modifications??

Surely insurance companies would rape you for all these mods?

So, what are your thoughts? Anyone on here with a crazy list of mods declared and how much did you get charged?

Also, how are insurance companies with engine mods that do not add any performance gains, like wastegates??

Thanks all.

i think most people declare stuff that is obvious, but stuff like cams, cranks, pistons e.t.c theres no need to as thier hidden

Yeah, I agree with that.

I am currently looking for some standard skirts for my Glanza, simply becoz it will be one less of a mod to declare.

andy yes anything that isnt as it was originally written on teh spec shet you have t tell them about even factory fitted options

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by andy_leitch on 18 May 2005

If i colour-code my bumpstrips, mirrors and door handles do i have to tell my insurance?
Yes, it counts as an exterior mod.

If you crash it will cost them more to put em back to a colour coded state.
even if u dont care

it "enhances" the nickability of the vehicle making it look better.

i think you can declare mods up to a certain amount of bhp and they will cover anything up to this amount. NOt sure though as my insurance company wont insure me on any mods:(

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

If You dont declare, then you run the risk of not getting the pay out, or worst being tusck with the third party pay out as well, and the possibility of prison.

I think the key is to get a mod friendly insurer.

Insurance companies are out to do their best not to pay out for anything. Easier not to give them a reason.

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 18 May 2005

Should I declare my Mk2 172 Bumpstrips and badges?

My cup spoiler is declared however.
^^^^ as discussed above i think you should at least mention it to them

Yaris Hybrid

My mates cousin works for an insurance company and deals with claims. I was speaking to him and mentioned that I was maybe gonna fit a performance panel filter as opposed to an IK because it wouldnt cause trouble with the insurance.

He claimed this was not the case and if I had any sense I would declare it. I couldnt believe it.

My standard filter needed replacing and I figured it would make no difference if I replaced it with a standard Halfords filter or one of these performance jobs but apparently it matters despite (if we are honest) making no difference to the performance.

For the sake of what could be £10 extra on your premium for something like an air filter, is it really worth risking them cancelling your insurance and not paying out when you crash?

[Edited by White16valver on 18 May 2005 at 1:30pm]

edit: insurance companies are inconsistent though - admiral said that only grooved disks are a modification and my racing pads and uprated lines dont count!

Most odd... lol

RS Megane DCi 175

Ive declared everything on my policy...even down to my smoked side repeaters!
I just thought it wasnt worth the risk not telling them, and 95% of the mods I have didnt up my premium anyway and some brought it down!

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 18 May 2005
My mates cousin works for an insurance company and deals with claims. I was speaking to him and mentioned that I was maybe gonna fit a performance panel filter as opposed to an IK because it wouldnt cause trouble with the insurance.He claimed this was not the case and if I had any sense I would declare it. I couldnt believe it.My standard filter needed replacing and I figured it would make no difference if I replaced it with a standard Halfords filter or one of these performance jobs but apparently it matters despite (if we are honest) making no difference to the performance.

you only need to tell them if its not OE spec if its oe then its a part thats the same spec as original (but cant be any better)

Ive declared everything and HIC dont mind!

Only think theyd raise my premium if I stuck a different engine in......

At the end of the day they will try any means to get out of paying out for a claims, if you don’t declare your mods, your giving them an easy way out

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by MattT on 18 May 2005

Ive declared everything on my policy...even down to my smoked side repeaters!
I just thought it wasnt worth the risk not telling them, and 95% of the mods I have didnt up my premium anyway and some brought it down!
Exactly !!!

everythign on my car is declared. I was honest with my insurance company, and they helped me out!! I was gobsmacked with there quote.

Its not worth the risk not insuring things.....if ur gonna do that is it even worth paying insurance if uhave the riskof it beign voided? lmao

Why doesnt aftermarket audio affect Insurance?

Surely this is more attractive to the common smack head than my bumpstrips :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 18 May 2005
Why doesnt aftermarket audio affect Insurance?Surely this is more attractive to the common smack head than my bumpstrips :confused:

it does but most policies cover audio upto about 1000 or 1500

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

http://www.oxford.anglican.org/youthblog/archives/victor_meldrew220.jpg

...I Dont Believe it....

Why do we always have the same old topic on her about declaring mods.... :sleep:

Heres a very very simple bit of info for those who are stupid enough not to understand..

Q. What is a modifcation?

A. Anything not on the original manufacturers tech spec for your vehcle. This includes even the tinyest things, tyres, bulbs, indicator lenses... etc etc.

Woman at Insurance Company: "Any modifications?"

And if you do - then you say "Yes" and declare them. If you dont have any mods the answer is "no".

Wheres Connor when you need him??

All those of your who dont declare are beyond foolish and would be the first people to complain when your insurance company rings you up and says "our technician has inspected your car and has noticed the following aftermarket undeclared items.... <<list>>. Your insurance is void".

You will then be in sh*t with your insurane company, most likely in sh*t with UK Insurance Ltd, the Police etc to name a few.

As ive said about 20 million times, if you cant afford to insure a mod then dont fit it. If you dont check how much itll affect your policy before buying it then your a mug.

Playing the fool will get you no-where, insurance companies are wise to the modifying scene, you will get caught and you will get found out.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI

I used to run around in my 5GTT with insurance on the basic car when in fact i had changed or uprated just about everything i could on it. I was lucky in that i owned the car for 8 years and never got pulled over or had a crash and by doing so saved a fair bit of cash BUT it was a constant worry every time i went out in it. The main reason i got insurance was to get a decent NCB and if i got pulled i would have the relevant paperwork. These days i feel no need to modify my 182 but in hindsight i was foolish to drive such a fast and highly noticable car without the proper level of protection. I got away with it because i did not drive it too often but primarily it was down to luck.

Its not something i would leave to chance again as i could have quite easily left myself in the s**t and is not something i would recommend. Of course it is your choice and you will probably save money and get away with it but you never know what is waiting round the corner and i for one would not push my luck that far again.

First of all, I did not start this thread because I was thinking of not declaring my mods, secondly I am not stupid, thanks CupCake.

Well I started the thread, and you said ..those those who are too stupid enough not to understand but whatever. Not getting it to a typical Cliosport sl*gging match.

Do coppers check for mods listed on your documents then? Becoz insured with Liverpool Vic, they dont list the mods on my insurance papers.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 18 May 2005

Why do we always have the same old topic on her about declaring mods.... :sleep:

Heres a very very simple bit of info for those who are stupid enough not to understand..
Gee, If you think thats aimed at you then so be it. If you read what Id written it would make sense.

Every other week we have the same topics "do I have to declare this" or that over and over again - Im simply stating something that is pretty bloody obvious.

Obviously Gee - if you did go and fit all those parts you stated and didnt tell your insurance company then you would be pretty darn stupid.

As you may know my Cup was written off at the start of April and I dont think many will disagree it was one of the most heavily modified Cups that was on ClioSport at the time. Every single thing was declared so when I had the accident it was all paid out and sorted effortlessly.

All im saying to everyone is dont become a statistic.

This is only a ClioSport sl*gging match if you make it one and thats your decisions, not mine.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

CupCake, personally i think youre being unrealistic

i see your point and totally agree, but think about it, most people cant even remember every single one of their mods, theres no chance in hell that everyone on here could declare everything.

Granted, the obvious mods that you can remember, should be declared, but by what ive seen you say, youd declare philips bluevision sidelights... i wouldnt.

Nor would i go out of my way to declare the likes of a new battery, just because it didnt carry the renault badge.

Not a dig or anything of the sort, just an opinion, and lets face it, youve expressed yours.

Quote: Originally posted by Friction on 18 May 2005
CupCake, personally i think youre being unrealistici see your point and totally agree, but think about it, most people cant even remember every single one of their mods, theres no chance in hell that everyone on here could declare everything.Granted, the obvious mods that you can remember, should be declared, but by what ive seen you say, youd declare philips bluevision sidelights... i wouldnt.Nor would i go out of my way to declare the likes of a new battery, just because it didnt carry the renault badge.Not a dig or anything of the sort, just an opinion, and lets face it, youve expressed yours.

you dont have to declaire things that are oe replacement eg battery etc etc brake disks if the are oe spec pads oe spec etc

how about just fit things which are easy to remove, like a cup spoiler or somethink, plus the colour coding reno released the clio which is colour coded, i would just declare them less hassle in the long run, imo

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

i know, but try getting a battery from halfords or similar that exactly matches oe spec... youll be hard pushed. You can all say in nit picking, but thats exactly how alot of insurance companies work - yet i still wouldnt go out of my way to inform them that i have a slightly heavier duty battery...

anyway, my point was, its unrealistic to think that everyone can declare every modification (modification being ANY change from manufacturer spec at all).

Side note: I always think cosmetic mods are a funny thing, as youre paying more every year just because your clio doesnt look the same as the next clio... the government should be paying out every time car theft takes place... since theyre so good at reducing crime... lol

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Quote: Originally posted by Davehughes on 18 May 2005

how about just fit things which are easy to remove, like a cup spoiler or somethink, plus the colour coding reno released the clio which is colour coded, i would just declare them less hassle in the long run, imo
not that easy if youre lying half dead in hospital, or the car has just been stolen... thats what people forget when they take that approach. Much easier just to declare the mods in the first place, or go with a company who dont bother about cosmetic mods.

and its still technically fraud.
[Edited by Friction on 18 May 2005 at 4:55pm]

Snotter's

what if u buy a used car lke most people do,how would you know what is standard if your not interested in cars ? how would u know it had uprated shocks ? had been chipped or alloys etc