ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Surround Sound Help

SchwepTek™
I'm useless with this stuff. Just bought a Yamaha AV763 cheap and have got it working OK with the PS3 and Apple TV2 but I am struggling with setup with my Sumvision Micro2 HD Media player.

There are no audio options on the player so I guess it's just Dolby Digital or DTS pass through over HDMI and then the Amp should decode it?

When I set it to Surround Sound Decoding, I only get audio from the Centre Speaker. If I choose 7 channel enhancer then I get audio from all speakers but it only displays PCM which I guess isn't proper surround sound.

Anyone shed some light?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
make sure what your playing is in proper surround sound, else you will only get sound from the front speakers unless its in 5 channel stereo or something

SchwepTek™
Well the media player is just a cheap Sumvision Micro 2 HD player an only has HDMI. no audio options at all as far as I can see. So must be decoding on the amp?

Not all of these media players can output multi-channel audio. It certainly won't have its own decoder (if it did, it would have multi-channel pre-outs on the back). If there are no audio options then my guess is that it cannot output surround sound, so your amplifier's decoder will be getting down-mixed stereo. Set your amplifier to pro-logic or something, and you'll get surround. Albeit not proper discrete multi-channel.

It appears that it does handle digital audio just fine, and there is an audio setup menu. It also has a coaxial digital out.

SchwepTek™
Sorted! Me being an idiot.

Apparently the 1080p MKV I was testing had a dodgy audio track.

Just tried another and getting DTS no probs. :)