ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension (Clio 16v Owners)

wot else u looked at mate? ive heard that the GAZ suspension gives a very hard ride. Depends on what setup you want really. Im getting my valver lowered on avo adjustables.

BMW 320d Sport

Im now running Gaz coilovers. Its not the dampers that are harsh, its the standard springs that come with them which are 200lb jobs. Not that I know anythign about spring ratings, but they are hard and bouncy , so you need to get them to supply softer springs. Which I have got, and are going on this week. Ill report back when I find out what theyre like. Its quality gear but I would say that unless everywhere you drive is race track smooth, you wont enjoy a standard set of Gaz coilovers at the front. Shouldnt be a problem if you can get them to give you soft springs though.

Usually a normal spring and shock setup will be a lot milder than coilover. I had my Konis for three years and that was a great setup, just right.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

K-Tec now supply 175lb springs which clean16v swears by and i know from seeing his car move that it still twitches over imperfections when set hard but give a softer ride for everyday driving.

Im hoping to get some as soon as i can save up with-out something needing to be repaired!:(

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Quote: Originally posted by pete bann on 11 May 2003

to be honest mate i think a lot of people are running coilovers. expensive but not necassarily the best route to go.
Why dyou think this? EXPLAIN, thanx.

clio 20v

ive got avo coilovers on mine there sh!t-hot

my old valver was lowered 30mm all round on just a set of springs the diff between that an the coilovers is unbelievable

clean16v used to pull away from me round the bends now i can just give it full bore maximum attack evrywhere and it sticks

i think there defo worth the extra cash over a lowered spring and damper kit if you like your car to handle

adi

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Whats the difference like in the wet with coilovers? I pressume it has a greater tendency to slide?

To be honest the standard handling is very impressive IMO its just that the car looks a little dated with the 106 & VTS being a lot lower with low profile tyres as standard too.

Its not neccesarily the best route simply because you can get exactly the same spring rates and damping rates on a conventional damper, the coilover allows height adj as the only benefit.

This is in our case, in the likes of racing cars they offer you a single step progessive spring rate if your running a tender sping, height adj, onboard remote adj of daming rates, far more adjusment to ihgh and low speed damping and a smaller lighter body with lighter spring.

back to our case, the actual physical setup wont offer any benefit IF both the coilover and conventional damper have exactly the same properties.

I dont know any of the specs apart from what some people like to run as spring rates, but even those spring rates seem low to me.......

You can only do so much playing with dampers and springs, but for most thats enough.