ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension knock - Ball joints?

Iceberg 172
Hey guys,

I've got a knocking noise from the front of my car. It occurs every time I pull off and brake, it's quite loud. It happens whether fast or slow and also when i'm slowly turning.

I've had two garages say that everything feels tight on the suspension but the top mounts are slightly worn. Had the top mounts changed but the knock is still there. All the engine mounts are tight.

I've searched, and a lot of threads are suggesting the ball joints. Does this sound like typical symptoms?

Cheers,
Dan

dan's cast offs.
ball joints, top mounts, rack mounts, arb, brake pads, calliper sliders...

sounds like it's time to find a decent garage!!

Iceberg 172
ball joints, top mounts, rack mounts, arb, brake pads, calliper sliders...

sounds like it's time to find a decent garage!!
Thanks for the reply bloke.

I've jacked it up twice with no luck in finding anything. I'm not sure if it's because a human can't replicate the noise?

I did find some lateral movement in the driveshaft but no longitudinal motion. I took a video so people could tell me if it's normal.

dan's cast offs.
can be awkward to spot play in a balljoint a lot of the time and minimal play can give a fair old knock.

Black 182 FF
Best places and price (I know some will say Renault!) for ball joints?

I usually look on ECP and see what makes they're selling, but I couldn't find any listed for my 182.

dan's cast offs.
they do them but don't think they are listed on their general site though? i've been using fai for a while now.

Black 182 FF
they do them but don't think they are listed on their general site though? i've been using fai for a while now.

Fai?

Anyway I found some ECP ones on eBay but then it mentions 12mm bolt holes even though it's listed for a 182. Given it's that long since I last done a ball joint on my 182 how would I know other than when I take the old one off, or are the 12mm ones specific to a 182 or whether it's cup packed or not?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I changed my ball joints on my 182 recently and needed/fitted12mm. I believe its non sports that are 10mm.

I got mine from GSF.

Fai are a fine brand. You cant buy ball joints from renault separately, they come fitted to the lower arms.