ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Knocking....

has there been any fix issued from Renault for the Mk1 172 with suspension knocking when turning? Located in OZ, but trying to get Renault here todo something or even admit it is a problem is something of a challenge, so wondering what is being done about it oversesa. Ideas where the knokcing is coming from or what is causing it?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

all the knocking issues weve had have been on the phase 2 and there is a shocker turret modification.

Due to the increase in castor, when you turn either way, the increased strut angle ,make the inside wheel encounter more positive camber and the inside of the shocker top mount rubs the shock tower. There should be marking where it rubs.

The mod is jsut to remove some material in that area of the strut.

I have the actis reports somewhere.....but basically its grind back a mil or 2 within 25 deg from 12 oclock, then paint and re-install.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

4mil removed of a 30deg area on the inside of the turret holes from 12 oclock position on both sides.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 01 March 2004

4mil removed of a 30deg area on the inside of the turret holes from 12 oclock position on both sides.
Ive had this fix applied twice now and its still doing it. Another little "characteristic" of the Clio Ill have to live with.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 01 March 2004

Ive had this fix applied twice now and its still doing it. Another little "characteristic" of the Clio Ill have to live with.

the trouble with this is that no dealers ever fax tech alerts to renault about the problem so the renault technical department dont know about these faults and nothing gets done.

Can anyone describe the noise that u get from the strut top??

Ever since fitting my coilovers(KW Variant2) when I turn hard left I get a strange shudering noise and the car seems to loose a little bit of grip. If I drive normally there is no noise only when driving properly does it occur. The noise happens just before understeer would occur coming off roundabouts and other places.

Ive had the shocker off half a dozen times trying to see whats wrong I thought id found the problem there was a small mark on the top of the piston where it passes through the bearing so I went mad and bought a new unit cost a fortune and I couldnt believe it when the noise was still there..

Please HELP

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 01 March 2004

there is now a modified pas pipe to eliminate a steering knock which sounds similiar to the strut top knock.

I had a similar problem in the past but its no longer apparent since changing my springs to Eibach Pros :confused: