ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension refresh. OEM versus Uprated

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Looking for some advice. I'm really not technical so please don't talk too technical.

I have a 172 (non cup) with FK Konigsports coilovers, K-Tec solid top mounts, Vibratechnics engine and gearbox mount, uprated dog bone mount.

What suspension components are required to change to keep the car feeling fresh?

To copy form another thread, would it be these?
Track rods and ends
Track rods
Track rod ends
Steering rack bushes
Wishbones
Inner and outer ARB Bushes

Also, please post a link to a suitable uprated version you'd suggest.
If you could post pictures of what they look like so I have a better idea of what you're on about would be good also.
Thanks all.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I'm just about to do the same on my 172 cup so interested to see people's suggestions (pretty sure standard parts are recommended over aftermarket)

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
All the above mate, so..

Track rods
Track rod ends
Steering rack bushes
Wishbones (they come with ball joints)
Inner and outer ARB Bushes

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I did mine back last summer, best money i have spent on the car. The difference is like night and day.

I personally replaced;

Genuine Front Cup Shocks
Genuine Rear Cup Shocks
Cooksport Springs
PureMotorsport Solid Top Mounts
Powerflex Wishbone Bushes
Powerflex Inner ARB Bushes
Powerflex Outer ARB Bushes
Lemforder Ball Joints
Genuine Track Rod Ends
Genuine Inner Tie Rods
Genuine Steering Rack Bushes

Plus the addition of the Whiteline RARB

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Lawro Do you have links to the parts that aren't genuine Renault parts? Or approx costs of the below items?

Lemforder Ball Joints
Genuine Track Rod Ends
Genuine Inner Tie Rods

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Nice one, thanks for the info guys! That must of cost a fair sum Lawro!

From what I remember mate it costs the best part of £750 for parts only, plus the RARB, Dogbone etc. It obviously differs slightly dependant on the setup you go for, I went for the above as i didn't want anything too stiff for road use.

If i was to do it again, I would probably sack the Powerflex wishbone bushes off and just replace the wishbone complete with the balljoint.
Too much hassle messing about fitting bushes on the wishbones lol!

Having done it, I would recommend it to anyone who was considering it.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Lawro Do you have links to the parts that aren't genuine Renault parts? Or approx costs of the below items?

Lemforder Ball Joints
Genuine Track Rod Ends
Genuine Inner Tie Rods

I would estimate around £300 for that lot mate, £120 for the powerflex bits, £150 for the genuine bits and £50 for the ball joints.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
From what I remember mate it costs the best part of £750 for parts only, plus the RARB, Dogbone etc. It obviously differs slightly dependant on the setup you go for, I went for the above as i didn't want anything too stiff for road use.

If i was to do it again, I would probably sack the Powerflex wishbone bushes off and just replace the wishbone complete with the balljoint.
Too much hassle messing about fitting bushes on the wishbones lol!

Having done it, I would recommend it to anyone who was considering it.

Nice one! Thanks for the list again, gives me something to go off when I come to change parts!

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I would estimate around £300 for that lot mate, £120 for the powerflex bits, £150 for the genuine bits and £50 for the ball joints.
Thanks. I'll try to find the links and post them up to confirm they're the correct bits.

RB Clio 182
I did mine back last summer, best money i have spent on the car. The difference is like night and day.

I personally replaced;

Genuine Front Cup Shocks
Genuine Rear Cup Shocks
Cooksport Springs
PureMotorsport Solid Top Mounts
Lemforder Ball Joints
Genuine Track Rod Ends
Genuine Inner Tie Rods

Plus the addition of the Whiteline RARB

How much did this cost Lawro please without the rarb, could you do a break down on prices vs standard items :) ?

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm reverting back from spax rsx to standard cup shocks and cook sport springs (when they're in stock).

Coilovers are a freaking pain.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Seems a good thread to ask this is in, as a few clued up gents in here.

When the Cooksport springs are back in soon, I am ordering them. I'm on genuine cup shocks. Will I need to add any camber bolts with the Cooksport spring? Will the tyre wear be as evenly spread as on normal OEM springs?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250

When the Cooksport springs are back in soon, I am ordering them. I'm on genuine cup shocks. Will I need to add any camber bolts with the Cooksport spring? Will the tyre wear be as evenly spread as on normal OEM springs?
My understanding is you can't add camber bolts to standard shocks and tyre wear will be even on lowered springs. I'm sure someone else will be along soon to confirm.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
How much did this cost Lawro please without the rarb, could you do a break down on prices vs standard items :) ?

As above mate, looking around £750 for that lot..

~£150 Cup Shocks
~£130 Cooksport Springs
~£130 PMS Top Mounts
~£130 Powerflex Bushes
~£50 Ball Joints
~£150 Inner and Outer Rods & Steering Rack Bushes

Alternatively if it was all OEM you would replace the wishbones which come complete with the balljoints and bushes for around £120 a pair from Renault, so would cost you pretty much the same as the ball joints and powerflex bushes. (Balljoints £50 + £60 for the bushes)

Top mounts, the PMS ones around around £50 more expensive than standard OEM items.

So, generally speaking your looking at £700 + fitting for an all OEM setup or £750 + fitting for the above setup.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro

As stated, camber can be added if you wish. I have been running cooksports for about 18 months, 9 months on standard shocks with no camber and around the same length of time on cup shocks with 1.5 degree of camber. No issues on either setup, obviously running camber you expect slightly quicker wear on the inside of your tyres but nothing major.

mk1 Octavia VRS
My understanding is you can't add camber bolts to standard shocks and tyre wear will be even on lowered springs. I'm sure someone else will be along soon to confirm.

Can fit camber bolts to standard shocks but it isn't essential. The tracking will need adjusting after fitting lowering springs, after that tyre wear shouldn't be any different to standard suspension.

Arctic 182FF
I'm also looking at a suspension refresh.. standard cup dampers with Eibach springs, also considering full polybush set, this seems the best deal I can find... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120583586095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Although I'm still confused about the different size inner & outer ARB bushes... are the ARB's different sizes on cup and non-cup models??

ARB

Clio Ph1 2.0 16v RS-172: Outer mount - 22mm, Inner mount - 25mm
Clio Ph2 2.0 16v RS-172: Outer mount - 23mm, Inner mount - 25mm
Clio Ph2 2.0 16v RS-182: Outer mount - 22mm, Inner mount - 25mm
Clio 2.0 16v RS (172 & 182) Cup / Cup pack models: Outer mount - 23mm, Inner mount - 25mm

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Personally I dislike the powerflex bushes for the bottom arm, they dont last anywhere near as long as OEM.

Fine for the ARB though.

Id go with:

Pure top mounts

Powerflex ARB

OEM wishbone

OEM track tods

OEM track rod ends

Eibach camber bolts (not ideal but acceptable and cheap)

The powerflex rack bushes look good but I havent tried them yet, so at the moment I will see OEM rack bushes (or better still a DCI rack and EPAS conversion, its solid mounted then)

Just done my 172 non cup today.

Replaced the following:

OEM Cup Shocks all round
Cooksport springs
New top mounts on front
Pair of front wishbones

Approximately £450 for that little lot (including postage)

clio 182 cup
Thanks for the measurements Nicorossi, why on earth Renault have fitted different ARB's with a size difference of 1mm is pretty baffling!

I think I'll be sacking off the idea of polybushing the ARB's... I wouldn't be able to accurately measure them unless I had a micrometer!

Clio Trophy #343
Personally I dislike the powerflex bushes for the bottom arm, they dont last anywhere near as long as OEM.

Fine for the ARB though.

Id go with:

Pure top mounts

Powerflex ARB

OEM wishbone

OEM track tods

OEM track rod ends

Eibach camber bolts (not ideal but acceptable and cheap)

The powerflex rack bushes look good but I havent tried them yet, so at the moment I will see OEM rack bushes (or better still a DCI rack and EPAS conversion, its solid mounted then)

This is more or less what we did recently with the addition of a set of cooksport springs and rear camber shims (this is for a track car)

personally when you can buy a complete wishbone with bushes and ball joint reday to go i dont know why you would bother changing for a powerflex bush?

if anyone is doing the centre roll bar bushes on a driveway.... Good luck

Clio 172 (CUP)
In the same boat on the suspension itself for a track/sprint focused (road legal) 172 cup.

Are the PMS top mounts worth it over the OEM?

Would cooksport springs lower a 172 cup even further from standard? Where's the best place to get 'em?

Cheers.