ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Woes

fad

Clio 182 FF
Hi,

I have a slight problem with my Clio 182 when steering on full lock.

The wheels feels like it is grabbing and pulling almost like the wheel is about to collapse under the car. When driving along you dont really feel it, then i isolated occasions when changing lane the car may pull on the road markings and the wheel feels like it was about to drop off!

So far I have changed the top mounts and checked for play in the bearings and nothing has come to light yet....

Would there be noticable play if the bearings were on there way out?

Thanks in advance

Fad

Last edited:

Whytes

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I have the same thing on mine sometimes when moving on full lock out of car parking spaces when its wet,icey or in multi storey car parks. I think it has to do with the differential. Its like the diff is almost locking up and then releasing one of the wheels, the one on the outside when turning, causing the juddering.

fad

Clio 182 FF
I've been told its the top mounts knocking but I cannot see how this affects the way the car drives or has caused it to start juddering on full lock.

Replaced the top mounts to no change :(

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The top monts are a bad design, they can knock when parking from new. There are washers available to fix it if its a problem for you. Re. pulling on the road markings, is that under power? I'm assuming that you've checked tyre pressures, running the same tyres across the axle, tyres have enough tread, and you've had an alignment check done.

fad

Clio 182 FF
2 month old Eale F1 GSD 3's and had the tracking done at Retech in July. Will get it checked again, but the horrible clonking feeling is bugging me.

Vw caddy tdi
I get this exactly also I think it could possibly be the rear lower control arm to subframe mounting point wear issue. The hole in the subframe elongates over time this combined with the shock assembly not being bolted to the body, I think this wear causes excess movement making castor tracking and camber change ever so slightly when on the road and the noises/movement when parking or lock to lock on the spot.

Last edited:

fad

Clio 182 FF
Just checked the subframe for wear tonight and its absolutely fine...strut top washers next and i'l have to suck it and see....