ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping my 106 track car for 172 cup

106 Tb'd Gti
Right im looking at swaping my throttle bodied track car for a 172 cup and just need to know what the first things are to swap over to performance parts thanks in advance lee.

172 Cup
Re: Swaping my 106 track car for 172 cup

Do you mean first mods to make to the cup to take it on track? if so i wouldnt really say very much as they are pretty good in standard form if you buy a decent example...mainly just get yourself some decent pads/disks/brake fluid on, some decent tyres, service it and away you go

106 Tb'd Gti

Yes my plans i was thinking are upgrade brakes and put it on coilovers then start either a turbo build or Throttle bodies but not sure yet,Also thinking 1.2s with r888's and learn how far it can be pushed on track.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf

coil overs/ eibach's
whitline arb
brembo hc discs with ferodo ds2500
espace v6 airbox
rs tuner
possibly a bit of weight loss

all depends on your budget and how far you want to go

106 Tb'd Gti

coil overs/ eibach's
whitline arb
brembo hc discs with ferodo ds2500
espace v6 airbox
rs tuner
possibly a bit of weight loss

all depends on your budget and how far you want to go

Well im looking at spendin just as much as i have on my track car which to say the least is a small fourtune right will start making a list and look at prices then cheers for info guys.

172 Cup

you should be able to get it to a good 'track spec' then if you are prepared to spend aome moneyzz on it. Any pics of your gti mate?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf

a small fortune for you may be penny's to others.. without a rough budget no one can really point you in the direction best suited to your budget

106 Tb'd Gti

Heres a few pics off my current toy.

1e1cfa59.jpg

ef3c9ad5.jpg

106GTI / NovaC20LET

Personally, & having had both, id keep the 106.

Id agree with dave on this one, having also owned a gti and my mate currently owning a saxo vts. It has to be said that the gti/vts shites all over the clio thru corners even when the clio's are modded with coilovers, arb's etc. Id personally keep the gti drop it another notch on torsion bar(2 clicks in total) get some 60mm springs for the front and you'll have a true weapon! Mine felt welded to the road, couldnt make it understeer if you tried lol :D

Impreza Wagon
Even though I've only just got the Clio I miss my 106! The 106 was a harsh ride on bilsteins on the road, everything rattled, it ate driveshafts but it was super quick and just felt like more of a track car. Don't get me wrong the Clio is a great car and you get a lot for your money but the 106 is just a bit mor 'raw'.

106 Tb'd Gti
No that was my old shell mate bought this shell got it sparayed inside and out then before carry out work i fitted a full welded in cage.