ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tablets

Astra Twintop
I've come into some christmas reddies and I'm thinking about treating myself to a tablet.

Not wanting a iPad at all, so I'm not even entertaining one.

Looking at Blackberry playbooks possibly.

Anyone got a recommendations?

Clio Sport 172.
I've come into some christmas reddies and I'm thinking about treating myself to a tablet.

Not wanting a iPad at all, so I'm not even entertaining one.

Looking at Blackberry playbooks possibly.

Anyone got a recommendations?

Step away from the playbook!! They are god damned awfull!
If not an Ipad (very good, or the ipad mini?) then I would go with a kindle fire as they are pretty cool and have a smaller price tag. I have seen some half decent reports about the Google Nexus too.

AK

M240i
Back home for Christmas and each of my family have a different tablet, IMO they're all crack and VERY difficult to use / navigate.

iPad beats them all.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Brothers Girlfriend got a Kindle HD Fire for Xmas, was pretty impressed, it's no Ipad but its more than capable and the screen is great for watching films.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My sister got an amazon tablet thing, I was mightily impressed with it!!

Clio 172 Cup
I got a kindle fire (not HD) for Christmas as I read quite abit and the wife thought it would be better than my iPhone for email & forums etc

I must say I'm not that impressed tbh it's too bulky/heavy for reading and not a patch on the iPhone/iPad for web/apps

But like I said that's my opinion we don't all like the same stuff, thank god lol

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Kindle Fire HD has a very nice screen, is easy to use but coming from an iPad (the other half has the Kindle) it is quite limited at the moment with regards to applications. For £160 it's quite a good buy, although I'd possibly be looking at a Nexus 7.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Refurb iPad 2 is £259

No better tablet for the money if you can't afford the retina imo

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Bunch of apple lovers on here. Most never even seems a good android tablet yet say they are crap. ipads are fine, but I like something a bit more open. Transformer tablets are brilliant IMO or the Samsung galaxy series. Trouble is people use cheaper android devices, experience delays etc and then judge all of them from that experience!

2013 Toyota GT86
My fiancee and lodger both have a Nexus 7. They love it and take it everywhere. It seems to be a pretty good device to be fair and it's good value too. I've got an iPad myself which I'm happy with.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I had a Playbook and actually loved it (until RIM forced a secondary, standalone calendar and email). Its a great size and the mukti-tasking is one of, if not the best on a tablet I've ever used. People moan about the lack of Apps and the browser being poor but I never found it the case and used it on a daily basis as an extention to my Bold 9900. I also have an iPad 3 which is great but it only ever gets used as a browser and sky remote so really, if that's all you're gonna do, then I agree with buyung something cheaper (though the retina displays are epic).

I'm also a recent convert to Android and love jelly bean and how open everything is... a huge change from the Apple way of life. Having never used any of the Galaxy tabs I cant comment on them but I'd want a good battery life minimum and thats an area that the iPad has covered very well.

RS6 C7
Iv'e used a few different one's.

Personally it's an iPad or a Samsung Galaxy or nothing. The rest just seem inferior.

iPad seems the main choice and is what i own, They just work so well and feel extremely nice to use, You can get a mini NEW for £269 or there are plenty of refurbished or used units below that.

I have an ipad, but my mate has a toshiba tablet, says its really good but the App Store is pretty crap, I've had a quick play it quite nice to use but the screen is nothing like retina.

RX7 FD
Love my Nexus 7

Picked up the 32GB version free case and delivery for £190 a few weeks back. Does everything I want and more!

2012 Clio 1.2
Samsung note 10.1 is amazing bud. As it happens this comment comes direct from one. Quad core processer and with the s-pen i
The touch screen is far more precise then an ipad has ever been. Also if your looking at a kindle i would suggest somin else. The kindle is f
Perfect if u mainly read but its quite limited as a tablet.

As said the galaxy note is bigger faster and with an expandable memory much better imo

Much more free with android then u are with apple aswell. Still plugs into pc as a removable drive and if u happen to use itunes then u can still sync ur note with it. If u go for the samsung try ur nearest tesco store. Currently the cheapest supplier in terms of retail stores and as we have an exclusive contract with samsung they recieve priorety on stock

133/225/CLS AMG
I'm not that flush!!

In that case go for one of the Nexus models. Admittedly I have an iPad 3 and would recommend an iPad as the first choice but price is obviously a factor as they're not cheap.

I also have a Nexus 7 tablet and it does everything my iPad does and it does them well, plus the screen is extremely good, plenty of storage (32gb). There's also a lot of customisation as I've just downloaded a Visulizer app that app that allows you to use any image to link to applications etc so you can make it pretty and unique. I'd say it's a great bit of kit and at £200 (or under in the sale?) it'd be my choice on a budget.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I also wouldnt advise an iPad Mini just yet... you just know the retina version is on the cards and will appear as soon as you buy one.

Anyone that says it doesn't matter is clearly either blind or in denial

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Intended use is important IMO. A 7 inch is ideal if you still need a laptop for specific programs. A bit bigger is good for heavier use. I got my mum an eken w70 for Christmas, its pretty basic but for her its great. An iPad would be wasted on her

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
So why doesn't op want an iPad? Because it'll make him look 'flashy'?

pah. I'm getting an iPad sometime this week because apple > everything else really.

I love the way apple products work. I've just bought a case for it in preparation :p

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I love my Nexus 7. I bought my gf a Ipad mini for christmas and although it's very nice bit of kit and looks 10x better than the nexus i still prefer it. I like android for devices like this and have access to apps like navi x so you get any new movie in hd streamed direct to it etc. IOS is just too limited on devices like this imo. Also the screen is better on the nexus too.

1.2 16v
If you're not going for an iPad cos of the price, get an iPad mini. I got one for christmas and its great!

Mito Sportiva 135
Surely the only real choices are iOs or Android, and in which case the iPad or Nexus?

The Kindle HD is inferior to the Nexus, although not a bad device.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Samsung note 10.1 is amazing bud. As it happens this comment comes direct from one. Quad core processer and with the s-pen i
The touch screen is far more precise then an ipad has ever been. Also if your looking at a kindle i would suggest somin else. The kindle is f
Perfect if u mainly read but its quite limited as a tablet.

As said the galaxy note is bigger faster and with an expandable memory much better imo

Much more free with android then u are with apple aswell. Still plugs into pc as a removable drive and if u happen to use itunes then u can still sync ur note with it. If u go for the samsung try ur nearest tesco store. Currently the cheapest supplier in terms of retail stores and as we have an exclusive contract with samsung they recieve priorety on stock
Does the Note not have spellchecker and autocorrect?

Does it also fail to finish off sentences by leaving unfinished words at the end?

Yaris Hybrid
I had an iPad 3 which was a lovely bit of kit but I never used the damn thing. I also have a laptop that I never use. I have my big desktop gaming rig turned on when I am at home and if I wanted to browse the web in bed or something I'd tend to reach for my smart phone as it was already on and by my side.

So I sold the iPad, traded in my Galaxy S2 and bought a Galaxy Note 2 instead.

When tablets were announced I thought they were nothing but an overblown smart phone but without the "phone" part or a poor mans laptop. Then when I got my ipad 3 I thought they made sense but now I am going back in the other direction. They won't replace a proper laptop/desktop in my life, the full size ipad is too big and heavy for me and whilst the smaller 7" tabs kind of make sense they just seem like a phablet with less features.

I'd really ask yourself when you will use your tablet and what for.

Hard to recommend what size to get as I see flaws with either.

I wasn't keen on Android a couple of years ago but it has improved massively since then so I'd no hesitation in recommending it now.

2014 Focus Titanium
The Nexus tablets for me are the only real competitor to the iPad. The Samsung Galaxy series are good but you'll find side-by-side against the Nexus' that the 7" and 10" just don't perform anywhere near as well.

For those that tried Android tabs but haven't experienced the Nexus I suggest you have a play with them, they are a massive step up from the older Android tablets.

When I got my N7 I must admit I thought I would constantly wish I'd gotten the Nexus 10 instead, but after using it I quickly fell in love with the size of it, it's big enough that the screen is much more usable than my Galaxy S3 but it's small enough to fit in the inside pocket of my coat. I never find myself wishing for more screen area, except for watching movies (which I'd rather do on my TV) although I must admit when my best mate brings his N10 round that screen is just sublime! So god-damn sharp.

One thing I also like is that Android doesn't need separate apps for tablets to get the most out of them, as Android apps are developed to operate at many different resolutions, so for example the Sky Sports App looks just as sharp on my Nexus 7 as it does my Galaxy S3 or my wifes HTC One S, rather than a zoomed in, pixelated version.

What I don't like however is that a few (and it is only a few now) app developers don't treat Android as high a priority as iOS. Denon being one of them with their AVR Remote app which specifically pisses me off! Most app dev's nowadays are very good though even our golf simulator at work has an android app that works seamlessly and that's very niche.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I really like the Nexus stuff after having a good play over xmas.

My Retina iPad pisses over it of course but the Nexus is the best alternative as you don't want to buy a a mini just now.

I have to agree with Mike. Refurbed iPad 2 is still better than any Samsung or BB playbook

RS6 C7
I really like the Nexus stuff after having a good play over xmas.

My Retina iPad pisses over it of course but the Nexus is the best alternative as you don't want to buy a a mini just now.

I have to agree with Mike. Refurbed iPad 2 is still better than any Samsung or BB playbook

There's a deal on eBay every couple of weeks for the new iPad with retina at £299 with free delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPa...Black-A6X-Dual-Core-CPU-9-7-iOS-/271099067899

Iv'e seen the deal a few times over the last few weeks and everyone who has purchased seems happy! They go very quick though.