ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking iPhone abroad.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hello! I'm going on holiday tonight to Portugal. Is there anything I need to do so I don't have a million quid bill on my return?!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I turned cellular data off. Settings - General - Network - Cellular Data - Off

I also changed the username for cellular data as well, just to be extra safe.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I would do Settings > General > Network > and turn mobile data and 3G off.

Data roaming was already off on mine.

Edit- beaten to it ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thanks, I've just turned data roaming off.

I still want to be able to recieve emails and text messages and obviously phone calls, is what i've done ok??

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
You won't get emails without now being connected to a wifi network. Texts and calls will be unaffected.

AFAIK anyway.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You'll be able to receive emails if you connect to a wifi network out there, (you'll be able to use the internet as normal if you do this) but otherwise no, you'll end up paying an arm and a leg for data if you pull them in through your network.

Texts and calls are fine, picture messages aren't.

Ph2 172
The latest vodafone iphone contracts give you 25mb of data per day while you are abroad. I've found this very useful, as basically it means that I can continue to use my iphone just as I would at home.

An orange one
You will also get charged for visual voicemail, there is nothing you can do on the actual phone to avoid this, however, when I went to America in April, I rang O2 and they gave me a 4 digit number to ring up and it completely disables voicemail, meaning you can't get stung to retrieve it, then another 4 digit number to ring when you get back home to turn it all on again

dk

911 GTS Cab
The price of european tariffs while abroad are changing for the better, the networks have been forced to reduce their silly prices.

From 1st July on O2, you pay a £1.99 flat rate for data per day while abroad, there's also just a 50p connection charge for calls and then the rest comes out of your inclusive minutes. Still not amazing, but wayyyyyyy better than it was before, they used to charge you about £3.50 per megabyte, whereas the £1.99 thing includes 25mb I think.

dk

911 GTS Cab
You will also get charged for visual voicemail, there is nothing you can do on the actual phone to avoid this, however, when I went to America in April, I rang O2 and they gave me a 4 digit number to ring up and it completely disables voicemail, meaning you can't get stung to retrieve it, then another 4 digit number to ring when you get back home to turn it all on again
Surely, if you have turned data roaming off, and therefore haven't got data, then you can't receive the visual voicemail so won't be charged for the data.

I personally do turn vm off though as there's no point people leaving a vm as I won't retrieve it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The price of european tariffs while abroad are changing for the better, the networks have been forced to reduce their silly prices.

From 1st July on O2, you pay a £1.99 flat rate for data per day while abroad, there's also just a 50p connection charge for calls and then the rest comes out of your inclusive minutes. Still not amazing, but wayyyyyyy better than it was before, they used to charge you about £3.50 per megabyte, whereas the £1.99 thing includes 25mb I think.

Last month it was £1 per 15MB with O2 if you added the free data roaming bundle.

So it's technically going up. Voda seems the best but their network seems a bit crap over here, everyone I know complains of slow speeds on 3G but I suppose it depends where you are using it, for me O2 are far better than any other network where I live/work.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Surely, if you have turned data roaming off, and therefore haven't got data, then you can't receive the visual voicemail so won't be charged for the data.

I personally do turn vm off though as there's no point people leaving a vm as I won't retrieve it.

Yep I had a text when I was on holiday saying about the £1.99 a day for unlimited data abroad.

Why anyone would use there phone out of choice on holiday is beyond me though safe to say my iphone spent most of the time turned off once I was away and only turned on for a bit a day incase anyone tried to contact me. An Iphone lasting 8-9 days on one charge is good going lol.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Just keep a serious eye on data usage if you add on a bolt on package, I got a package for a week travelling around europe, came back to find out i'd gone over and had a £412.50 phone bill for the month!!

i'm ring orange tomorrow to see what they got on as last year in lemans i had my phone on about 5 times with data then turned it off... bill was 110. didnt pay it mind, b******s.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
i'm ring orange tomorrow to see what they got on as last year in lemans i had my phone on about 5 times with data then turned it off... bill was 110. didnt pay it mind, b******s.

It's £6 a day for 30MB in the US. Only pay if you use it (hopefully cheaper in EU).

I'll have data off anyway, so hopefully won't get fcuked.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
It's £6 a day for 30MB in the US. Only pay if you use it (hopefully cheaper in EU).

I'll have data off anyway, so hopefully won't get fcuked.

I was in the US last month. There was free wifi pretty much everywhere I went, so in my experience you won't need data at all. Two weeks I was there and my extra charges amounted to £1.31 (for voicemail). Calling home was free. Facetime FTW!

Bus w**ker
It cost me ~£50, on Vodafone, for data usage whilst I was away in Europe for four weeks. Never turned anything off and used my phone quite a bit.

from the 11th of June, on vodafone for £3 per day, you can use your price plan while in europe :)

EPIC!!

I prefer the previous passport deal tbh, £2.50 a day for 25Mb of roaming data in Europe. Paying again to use something that I've already paid for once and thats limited just doesn't make all that much sense to me, at least the last deal didn't eat in to my data plan.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I was in the US last month. There was free wifi pretty much everywhere I went, so in my experience you won't need data at all. Two weeks I was there and my extra charges amounted to £1.31 (for voicemail). Calling home was free. Facetime FTW!

Sweet.

That would be useful.

Cheers mate.