ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking the plunge and getting an iMac

RIP Dan
Not knowing lots about Imacs, went to price one up today.

The 3.1Ghz processor 27" monitor and 4Gb of ram model with 1TB HDD with 2TB airport backup thingy for 1565 squids.

So what I want to know before taking the plunge and spending my hard earned is...

Worth paying the 200 odd quid for 2TB airport or get a "normal" back up hdd from the net?

Should I get more ram or graphics ram? or leave it as it is?

Going to be photo editing...not much mainly aperture or lightroom and a light version of PS probably. May try some work using Illustrator too. Apart from that its the usual stuff, net browsing etc.

Anything I should know? Like a new version coming out next week etc etc

Cheers

They're fairly new. Only a month or two since they added the thunderbolt port.

Don't bother with extra ram. That's cheaper to get yourself if you ever decide you need it.

Backups, you can get a 1TB passport HD for about 80. So just get one of those.

Get it. Best thing Apple make.

RIP Dan
Ok sound, will just get the machine from them then. Thanks for the title edit, I'm such a noob:eek:

The Mrs gets 8% off as shes a teacher and we dont have VAT here so it helps bring the price down.

Where do I get the 1TB passport thing from? Salesman said they only do 2TB now...obviously trying to get me to part with more cash. Worth getting the Apple care 3 year thing?

Something like this.. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/239086

Apple has a program inbuilt called Time Machine that backs everything up for you. Super easy.

AppleCare, I'd say yes. I have it on mine purely because it costs so much. iPhone/iPad I don't bother as I'll get a new one each year anyway.

RIP Dan
Ok, just a normal backup drive then. Sound, will go and buy the iMac (I'm learning) in the next few days then.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If you know anyone that goes to uni then get them to order it, you get a bigger discount and a free 3 year warranty. I paid £1200 for my 27" standard spec imac last month with the 3 years warranty.

You have to order online though.

RIP Dan
If you know anyone that goes to uni then get them to order it, you get a bigger discount and a free 3 year warranty. I paid £1200 for my 27" standard spec imac last month with the 3 years warranty.

You have to order online though.

Yep it will work out around 1300 I think, Mrs gets discount. They don't do any deals here as everyone is rich.

They're also pretty good value for money. You get a lot of computer there. The screen alone is worth around £600. That's what you pay for the same panel in the Dell Ultrasharp.

A sensible spec (which is all most people need) iMac is a pretty formidable computer in terms of style, quality, and VFM. Plus you get a decent operating system and all your software looks awesome, not like it was designed by a YTS programmer. Sniffing glue.

Last edited:
  RIP Dan
Got it this morning, its a thing of beauty.

I am just staring at it like a bewildered Karl Pilkington.

Unsure of what to do with it now I have it.

RIP Dan
LOL, you should all get together for a group handjob!

If you haven't posted that from an iMac then get out.

This is my thread, and since I now own one they are the best thing since sliced bread.

So many questions but will search first.

So we can only post from an iMac? ;)

Just joking.... (I'm in the club btw)

I've not long had an iMac too, great bit of kit, no complaints so far!!

RIP Dan
Group handjob? x

Mrs is on it at the moment, she isnt working this week so I cant even have it to myself in the day. iFail?

Edit..I also can't believe how good photos look on it. Giving me a stiffy.

Last edited:
  RIP Dan
You are trawling in desperation there ;-)

Been married nearly 10 years anyway, no chance of any of that.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I'd never buy a desktop Mac.

MacBook Pro for life, y0. I use my 15" one as a desktop most of the time with a 2nd display plugged in. It's a nice little setup in my cramped city centre flat.

RIP Dan
We already have an old iBook and my Mrs has a Mac Book for work so we wanted a central mac for all of our photos, music and I am going to do some designing on it if i can. We have 2 notebooks too which are handy for PC things and work stuff for me. The 27" screen is immense on the iMac and everything looks awesome on it.

Just trying to move data across, I suppose a firewire cable is needed for the speediest transfer.

I feel your pain Roy, I didnt know I needed one in my life until I went into the shop and drooled over one. Just get one anyway, you're a CS highroller iirc?

I would like to get one and use it as gaming monitor with my PC when needed, but I have my eye on a new 3D gaming monitor so that blows that idea out of the water.

I really would never use it. My main machine is this 17" MPB and I love it. Besides shiny Cliosport keys, it looks brand new after 21 months of hard use. Including industrial factories.

Apple FTW!

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
TBH the graphics in the latest MacBook Pro models would be good enough for the next 2-3 years worth of PC gaming with Windows 7 dual booting alongside Lion.

DB.

BMW 440i
1 month tomorrow until payday and I can finally buy mine. Already have my new fresh desk in place, just waiting for the iMac!

So impatient!

DB.

BMW 440i
Standard 27".

My 13" Macbook system is powerful and fast enough for what I do the majority of the time, so the 27" will be fine :)

RIP Dan
1 month tomorrow until payday and I can finally buy mine. Already have my new fresh desk in place, just waiting for the iMac!

So impatient!

I was the other way round, had the mac in its box sitting on the floor this moring, had to go and buy a desk. 2nd hand desk though:eek: Rented gaff so not spending much on it. Will get a decent setup when we move back into our house next year.

Speakers seem ok, we were listening to tunes tonight. Not a audio geek though so they will do me.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Get a picture up. It's policy with a 27".

My lump of art... now running 12GB RAM.

f4967edd.jpg

You're all fags for not going i7 by the way. :eek:

^^I hate those newer style magsafe plugs. They're not even safe anymore. You can pickup your MBP with the cable. Stupid idea. The old ones were much better, and the flex/chord was better quality too.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
how do you charge the keyboard and mouse? via usb i presume? how long does the charge stay for?

I've had my wireless keyboard and trackpad for months!

The keyboard is still on 100%!!! The trackpad is at 20% now, but I obviously use that the most.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
^^I hate those newer style magsafe plugs. They're not even safe anymore. You can pickup your MBP with the cable. Stupid idea. The old ones were much better, and the flex/chord was better quality too.

Weird, I much prefer the newer type. My old C2D MBP had one of the older type and it split twice because the cord came out horizontally.

Yours looks bigger than mine.

It's all relative, eh. :eek:

how do you charge the keyboard and mouse? via usb i presume? how long does the charge stay for?

Both take 2x AA's dude. They last ages too... and I use it for 8+ hours most days.

It looks MUCH bigger to Chris, lol.

FML.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I love the way with Macs it's just the one cord. In that pic I posted, you've got one tiny white cord for each machine.

Super, super neat. Love it.

/OCD

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I love the way with Macs it's just the one cord. In that pic I posted, you've got one tiny white cord for each machine.

Super, super neat. Love it.

/OCD

Unless you want a proper keyboard like me :(

I have much hate for that shitty small wireless one. Its a desktop, I have space for a numpad, give me one now!