ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tamron Lenses

Are Tamron lenses any good?

I got myself a Nikon D3100 a couple of months ago and I want to get into Motorsport photography. I am also going to watch NASCAR next year so need a longish lens. I only have the stock Nikon lens 18-55mm.

I have looked into a Nikon 70-300mm lens but can't justify the £290 price tag. Jessops advertise a similar lens for £90.

Ive not really used my camera much as yet so I would just like to know if the tamron lens would be any good for me or whether it would be a waste of time and get the Nikon one.

Any advise would be good, alsoim not down with the lingo yet so treat me nice please.

There will be a huge amount of replys to this however i will try and keep it simple.
A decent zoom needs a decent f stop number where good is low .... its how much light and how fast the lens is
A 300mm lens in bright light at say f5.6 is ok ..... an f2.8 is where you would want to be however add a zero to your £290 well not quite that .

The lens is almost more important than the camera so go for the best you can afford ...... tamron and sigma make decent 3rd party lens but again a £90 lens will not be good.

Look secondhand ......

Also ,being honest at a nascar oval a 300mm lens wont get you that close

The lens is almost more important than the camera so go for the best you can afford ...... tamron and sigma make decent 3rd party lens but again a £90 lens will not be good.

I'd have to agree for the most part. Unfortunately, photography is definitely a case of 'you get what you pay for', although the lens you're looking at (assuming it's this one) seems to get pretty good reviews considering the price.

I appreciate your comments. I fully understand that you get what you pay for and that 300mm isn't going to get that close to NASCAR however I have to be realistic with thd cost and carrying it etc. The one on the link is the one I was thinking of and as you said has some good reviews, I'm sure it will be fine for me but like everyone I want the best I can afford.

I hadn't thought of a 2nd lens to be honest, does anyone know of some good 2nd hand outlets?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Most Tamrons aren’t great really.

But the new VC range is a vast improvement and well worth a look. Basically the ones with VC are the good ones.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I have one the latest 70-200mm f2.8 Tamron lenses and its fantastic, I rate it over the 70-200mm Sigma I owned. Some of the older lenses weren't great but the new ones I can't fault.

Most Tamrons aren’t great really.

But the new VC range is a vast improvement and well worth a look. Basically the ones with VC are the good ones.

??? Most offer excellent value performance, ignoring the dirt cheap ones. The new Tamron 35 f1.4 is a good chunk better than the best Canon/Nikon/Sony versions.

Clio 172
London Camera Exchange is a good site for second hand gear. Its a shame Jessop's don't still do second hand gear used to buy alot of stuff from them.

I will have a look at both them sites thank you. I'm not going to rush into anything. Just need it for the end of march for the touring cars at brands.