ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tapping Noise From Engine

My engine is making some sort of ticking/tapping noise, it sounds quite loud on idle and even louder wehn you are going, almost like a diesel. Is this the tappets or something.

Anyone got any suggestions of what this might be and if so how to fix it?

Cheers

i had something like that on mine but it got quiter when i acclerated, that turned out to be the cambelt. But i had the same sort of thing on my old 205, that was the big ends, what that was well a well loud knocking. take it down a garage or something. your not having much luck with that car of yours lately are you.

Pretty sure its not the cambelt, was replaced just before i got the car.

Hmmm i dont think its that loud

lol, sadly not, if this ends up being an expensive job then i suspect body work fixing will have to go on hold for a while. I am sure one day itll work fine.....i Hope

Check your oil level... It sounds silly but youll be suprised how many people dont keep and eye on it.

Otherwise just the injectors tickingi should think.

also unlikley but if the car hasnt been started for a long time the oil runs out of the tappets, and it takes 10-15 mins to get them to quieten down

clio williams, Ph1 172

does it not go off when its been run for a bit? mine does it sometimes when cold. It could be one or more of your tappets thats f**ked.

its the tappets. mine wer noisey constantly. they need whippin out, checkin for wear. if theyr okay, theyl need flushin thru to remove build up of crud, then reprimin of fresh oil. thatl sort them out

jimbo

i had this problem i didnt drive my car for about two weeks, when i started it up for the first time all the oil had run out, and the engine sounded awful for about 15 mins then was ok. For some reason though the car would do it everyday after that, and then go after about 5 mins. Now it doesnt do it at all, just stopped for no reason at all!

the clue to the source is in the timing of the noise...

a tappet will be at half engine speed !. a big or little end ... err wont..

get it attended to if its a tappet and still does it when moving as the cam lobe is taking a hammering (literally)

you could try a flushing oil first (if a tappet) then refil with normal oil.

Joe.

what oil are you using?

Getting this alot lately with people putting synthetic or low viscosity oils in older motors (i mean like more than 50k miles) Has it just started or has it been ongoing? Often starts up when the weather starts to get cooler.

Dont recommend flushing oils, they contain naptha products, which tend to attack nitrile/rubber gasket material, you end up with lots of oil leaks on high performance motors. just put 10 or 15w oil in and try that. When you change the oil, cut open the filter and look for bits of shiny metal to be sure, have a look in the oil as well, Use a magnet to find any small bits, bearings are usually steel/tin/antimony so will be magnetic bits in it if you have a wayward bearing.

Whats it like to drive? feel normal or flat?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

mine has started doing it since the weathers been a bit colder gonna change the flush and change the oil ASAP

not alone mate my does it aswell when cold, taps till the oil temp hits about 45-50 then stops. Think its just the oil gettiong round.

Does anyone know if you can get a filter with a anti flow back valve in it like many german oil filters.????

Wouldnt mind having one to stop the oil draining to the sump every time.