ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tar remover HELP!

RS6 C7
The road i live down was resurfaced last week, My 3 week old A3 is now absolutely covered, There a thousands of tar spots all over the car:mad:

What's the best way of going about removing it? I had a small amount of the Auto finesse stuff left and gave that a go but it only shifted a little bit. Is there anything i can get from Halfords that would do the trick? Ideally i want to remove it today as I'm back to work tomorrow! If not what's the best product i can order online. ?

Hafords sell Autoglym & turtle wax tar remover but that looks about it :(

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Tardis. Don't bother with anything else, you'll try other stuff, it won't work well and it'll cost you more in the long run.

I use an MF applicator after spraying the areas. It's has a bit of bit to shift the tar and doesn't need force to shift.

I apply it to a semi wet car closer to dry anyway.

RS6 C7
Thanks Gally!

Iv'e ordered a 5 litre tin of it from i4detailing as there are 4 cars all with similar amounts of tar!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Perfect. I use those little rectangle blue MF apps.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What AF product was it that you used? As I used oblitarate today, sprayed onto the panal for a minute and it started to dissolve all the spots, then sprayed a little microfiber applicator and wiped off the remaining residue.

IMO it is at least on par with Tardis, if not reacts a little quicker

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
What AF product was it that you used? As I used oblitarate today, sprayed onto the panal for a minute and it started to dissolve all the spots, then sprayed a little microfiber applicator and wiped off the remaining residue.

IMO it is at least on par with Tardis, if not reacts a little quicker

I prefer ObliTARate

Inferno 225 cup
Tardis is such an ease to use, sprayed my alloys other day, went round one at a time (spraying) then once I finished the last wheel I went to the 1st, had a milky texture when drying with tar just running off, wipe with microfibre and on the next.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sticky stuff from Halfords, yellow tin £4.99

sprays on, leave 20 mins, wash off. I'm not a detailer but its fairly impressive, a tin does the whole car.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Sticky stuff from Halfords, yellow tin £4.99

sprays on, leave 20 mins, wash off. I'm not a detailer but its fairly impressive, a tin does the whole car.

Ive used this before! Used it to get adhesive off of my old Corsa after de badging lol worked surprisingly well

RS6 C7
I used the Tardis this morning, Excellent product which has left my car with not a single bit of tar on it! .

Took a few hits on some of the large bits but I was shocked at how well it works, Finished off hitting it with some Iron x which gave shocking results! The whole car turned pink which is remarkable considering it's 3 weeks old.., Does iron x turn pink when it find tar aswell?

I'm off out in a bit to apply AF triple and then maybe finish it off with some wax that i bought off Gally (Can't remember the stuff)

RS6 C7
All done! , Finished it off with triple, Didn't get round to adding the wax but i think it will most likely get more tar on it as they are still resurfacing in my area.

Pics:
gfiufgo006_zps5dc828b9.jpg

gfiufgo007_zps7c485586.jpg

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Dan where did you get your tardis from? I'm waiting for i4d to get some back in stock FFS

2004 Clio RS 182
Iron x is a fallout remover. Used it today on my wheels, unreal how much stuff is bonded to them.

Doing the car next, should be fun.

It absolutely stinks too, but great product.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Used Tardis for the first time today, bloody hell it's fantastic stuff

Thanks to Clarkey-ph1-225 for hooking me up with a link of where to purchase.

Megane 250
Will iron x get rid of tar? Or is it better to use tardis as well? Going to be buying a few bits to clean my saxo for when it warms up...

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
but its not good.

worse infact when you compare it to the likes of tardis.

I have Auto Glym Tar and Adhesive remover and it wasn't bad...just got some Tardis and it rocks...while they are the same ingredients (pretty much), the Tardis is 1000% better (maybe slight exaggeration)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Iron x is a fallout remover. Used it today on my wheels, unreal how much stuff is bonded to them.

Doing the car next, should be fun.

It absolutely stinks too, but great product.

You will be amazed at what comes off you paintwork too, clay it after also and you REALLY will be impressed !

FF Racing Blue 182
so iron x is for the wheels and tardis is for tar can both be both be used one after the other if doing whole car

what strength are they used at do the traders sell these

Golf GT & A4 Avant
iron x is for metal contaminants, wheels or body.
tardis, tar removers etc is for tar on wheels or body also, can be used to remove sticker or wheel weight residue.

None come as a diluteable form so just spray on as it comes, i4detailing and autofinesse are traders on here and sell different versions, but other stockists will have a variety of options

FF Racing Blue 182
iron x is for metal contaminants, wheels or body.
tardis, tar removers etc is for tar on wheels or body also, can be used to remove sticker or wheel weight residue.

None come as a diluteable form so just spray on as it comes, i4detailing and autofinesse are traders on here and sell different versions, but other stockists will have a variety of options
ok cheers mate and are these as good as the real stuff

Golf GT & A4 Avant
not sure what you mean by the 'real stuff'? Tardis and Iron-X were probably some of the better original versions to be brought out, but the likes of Tar-X, ObliTARate and others are just as good

Ph1
Forget spending quids, White spirit on a piece of kitchen roll or cloth is all you need followed by a polish over.

Best method by far