ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TDC sensor or coil pack?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I was at Elvington today on my last flying lap and I felt a misfire, I slowed down, completed half a lap and the car cut out.

Oil pressure, temperature etc was fine but it wouldn't restart. I left it to cool down and it restarted and all was good.

On the way home and it started again then cut out and wouldn't restart.

I had the AA out and he said the spark was intermittent. He checked the crank sensor and the plug was cracked with a loose connection. He tried the wires on the Crank sensor both ways and it still wouldn't fire despite cranking.

I intend to replace the crank sensor and plug by does this sound like a crank sensor issue, coil pack issue o something else?

225 meg
I had a problem with a non start issue a while back, done a diagnosic check and the TDC sensor had broken which i replaced and problem was still occuring, went ahead and fitted new NGK plugs and coil pack as the old one had small cracks on it but the non start issue was still there from time to time, change the fuel i was using and that made a big difference :D

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Plugs are recent apparently and are NGK according to Doncaster_K9 who I bought the car from.

The fuel is V Power and had a top up of BP Ultimate this morning.

It was faultless from 7.00 on the road to 3pm then the misfire kicked in.

Phil (Doncaster K9) and I suspect the coils.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Coils, idle and tdc replacement. Can all be had for £30 - £40 on here maximum.
Gotta be one of those. If it doesn't start today, will bring mine over and we can test some sensors?

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Found this on a search....

ClioSport.Net: change of box. now engine wont spark? (by shepperdspie)
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6840972
Clio 2's go crazy when the battery has gone flat. The ECU seems to loose the imob code. The imob light stays solid and the starter cranks and then stops itself after 1 second.

If you get in the car, close the door, turn the ignition on for 30 secs, then off, lock and unlock the doors and start it. Should work ;)

Share via Tapatalk

Clio 172 Sport
Hi, I had similar issues with my last 172 and it was deffo the coil pack. The unit is solid state but with constant hot/cold temperatures it causes breakage inside the unit, then as the pack warms up it fails and sometimes works again when cooler. I agree most definately, change the pack and ensure the leads havent got any carbon trace marks, if they have change them, and the plugs too!
Regards
Cliff

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I got it started again by rebuilding the TDC sensor plug with my coil pack.

I swapped with Doncaster_K9's coil and it still ran the same.

Shrek, Donny and I are feeling the same thing. I reckon the AA guy made the crank sensor worse and that was just coincidental. I've ordered a new coil pack and will pick up some leads too.