ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Teleconverter for a Nikon ~ talk to me

"Navy" N17 TWO
As title, what's best at a reasonable price?

My longest lens at the moment is a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG but sometimes it isn't long enough :(

I know you loose 1 or 2 stops with a teleconverter fitted but they are cheaper than the "superzoom" lenses aren't they?

Tell, or even better - show us what you have and how you rate it

Cupra
UKSkew has a Nikon teleconverter IIRC and I know that a couple of the Canon users her have the 1.4x and Dunganick had the 2x for a while. I have looked into getting one, but the prices are just too high to justify it at the minute as I want the latest incarnation from Canon.

I know that not all Canon lenses are compatible with the converters, so you have to do some research first to make sure that they work.

Oil Burner
You need to check with a Nikon'er that you can teleconvert that lens. Certainly if it was a Canon system you wouldn't be able to as even a 1.4x tc would turn the lens to an F6.3-8 which wouldn't teleconvert on anything other than a 1d series camera.

For what its worth the Nikon TC's are very good from what i've seen and you have the added advantage of a 1.7 converter.

I'm pretty sure you won't get AF with that lens and a TC as the sensor won't be receiving enough light. At that kind of money you would be better off getting one of the zoom lenses that go up to 400mm rather than try to do anything with your Sigma.

The Nikon TCs are amazing (and justify the large price tag), the 1.4x TC is a stunning bit of kit which has no impact on performance with a fast Nikon lens (ie 70-200 2.8). I've owned all the Nikon and Sigma TCs but you really do need a fast lens to get anything from them.

275 Trophy
Be aware also that not all lenes are suitable for use with a TC, even if they physically mount. This is because at an extereme of the zoom range the rear element may hit the front element of the TC.

2.2 bar shed.
Get the Bigma, 150 - 500. Thats the best thing you can hope for tbh. The long end wont focus on quite a few DSLR's though unless you do a pin mod.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Haven't moved myself to buy anything yet, but I've been looking at a Sigma 170-500mm lens - anyone have any experiences with those? :)

Oil Burner
Avoid the super tele sigma zooms. None of the ones i've ever tried have ever been any good. AF was cack and IQ was very poor even stopped right up.

Canon 100-400's are good value used, although they suffer from dirt inside them over time.
Sigma 100-300 F4, one of the best lenses i've used on a crop body. Wish i hadn't sold mine.
Canon 300 F4 Non IS takes a 1.4tc well and is a very good lens at 300.

Buy cheap and regret it ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Getting a long Nikon/Sigma f2.8 lens + TC will no doubt cost a lot more (even 2nd hand) than the Sigma supertele but the Sigma could leave me with a "happy medium"?

Just spent about an hour browsing through flickr looking at pics taken with the Sigma at 500mm and must admit I was more than impressed with the shots, especially some taken with the camera that I have - food for thought I suppose in terms of what my own camera is capable of if I pick up a few more tips & skills i.e. PRACTICE lol

I would certainly regret buying ANYTHING Canon ;)

Oil Burner
Good point about the Canon lol, missed that one!

A 100-300 F4 will set you back £500 used. It is a cracking lens and takes a TC pretty well.

The catch with looking on Flickr for photos is that people tend not to post rubbish photos there.

I used a 50-500 and 150-500 and honestly they are the worst lenses i've ever used. The AF was so hit and miss i would expect maybe 3/10 to be acceptable. The 50-500 is a popular birding lens purely because stopped up to f8 its sharper at 500 than a lot of things, but there is very little to compete.

Also consider if you need 500mm, on a crop body its a serious length and has limited uses. A lesser focal length in exchange for AF performance or a larger min aperture would be be better.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Good point about flickr - but I used the same method when choosing my 24-70mm f2.8 lol :)

Must have a browse for the 100-300 now!

Oil Burner
i don't see why not. Its normally the smallest aperture number that stops cameras AF'ing. most require f5.6 or f6.3 ish to AF.

So f2.8 +1.4x is F4 - fine

but say an f4 lens with a 2x converter would be f8 - no good

need a nikoner to confirm though.