ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temporary Car Insurance..

107 Track Car & C4
I need temporary car insurance so I can drive my Dad's car (Civic 2.2 CDTI) for 8 days. Can anyone recommend me a good temporary car insurer please?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
If it's already insured by your Dad, you can't have 2 policies on the car, can you?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
If it's already insured by your Dad, you can't have 2 policies on the car, can you?

Providing the annual policyholder isn't named on the temp policy (or vice versa), it's no problem.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Luke - really? Different to what I was told when I needed temp cover on another car.

Absolutely mate. The main market for temp insurance is people borrowing friend's/family members already covered vehicles. Which company did you speak to mate?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely mate. The main market for temp insurance is people borrowing friend's/family members already covered vehicles. Which company did you speak to mate?

No idea mate, it was ages ago.

Was on my Mum's car, but said because it was insured, they couldn't do it.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Jordi - please stop attempting to give out advise when you don't know yourself.

At the end of the day, if it doesn't state it explicitly anywhere on either your policy wording or schedule then you won't be covered on another vehicle TPO. If you're still not sure, ring the insurer.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
No idea mate, it was ages ago.

Was on my Mum's car, but said because it was insured, they couldn't do it.

God knows how they make their money then, lol! With CIE, every non-SORN vehicle needs to be insured anyway (in a nutshell), so unless every one of their clients is selling their car after their annual policy has lapsed, they're going to have problems by not insuring currently insured vehicles.

F56 MINI Cooper S
It does state on my wording, im not talking about mine I was talking about the OP's, if you are over 25 you will be covered mark my words

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'm only covered for emergencies. My policy does not cover me third party on another car for general driving about. I'm 25. Those are my insurers words. Mark them if you feel then need.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It does state on my wording, im not talking about mine I was talking about the OP's, if you are over 25 you will be covered mark my words

It's completely insurer dependent, your words marked or not.

It used to be pretty common practise, but insurers got wise to people exploiting it (insuring a low group car comp so they could drive other things, etc).

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

I can't even be arsed, you're too stupid / ignorant to argue with any more.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol @ deeg and Luke feeding the troll:p

I can never be sure with Jordi, lol. It was more so people don't follow his advice and start driving mummy and daddy's Porsche around uninsured, I know what CS is like ;)

F56 MINI Cooper S
Its not advice, ive looked in mine and it clearly states over 25 and you are covered TP. no big deal just stating some facts. like you said, it varys from each insurer, but some will cover TP, end of really.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
If youre a main holder of another policy youll be covered 3rd party anyway

Fairly categorical statement.

Majorty of them do with permission by the main holder

Less categorical, but still most of them do it, so this guys must.

Disagreed when I said it was dependant on circumstance.

Now back to the OP's insurance and categorical.

Its not advice, ive looked in mine and it clearly states over 25 and you are covered TP. no big deal just stating some facts. like you said, it varys from each insurer, but some will cover TP, end of really.

And now you're insurance says it.

As I said before, you complete and utter weapon, it depends on circumstances.

Just because yours says you can, does not mean this guys will.

F56 MINI Cooper S
doesnt mean it wont either. fact of the matter is if he calls and asks then it will be that, so you can get off your high horse and let it be

SQ5
Hardly any companies do third party cover any more, my mum is 50 and hers doesn't cover it at all.

Also you can't have two policies so will need to go on your dads insurance to drive it

MR2 Mk1.5

Mark my words, you do not know what you are talking about and are offering awful advice.

Ollie
Sky Insurance