ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Terrible day - n/s driveshaft popped out

Guys, I've had a really crap day with the Clio and would appreciate some advice. I've been changing the n/s lower ball joint which was a total b**ch and has taken hours. Despite my best efforts and trying not to let it happen, the driveshaft popped out of the gearbox and pissed it's gearbox fluid all over the pace. I've read all the threads in the search but I still have a couple of questions.

First question: The boot didn't rip but I had to replace the small Renault clip with a jubilee clip as I couldn't get the existing clip over the bearing, the jubilee is a bit wider but will this suffice or do I need to get the proper clip?

Second Question: I had to take the 3x bolts out to free the boot and get it move freely but the large clip popped off. Where exactly does this go? I thought it was the metal ring (with the aforementioned 3x bolts) that held the boot to the gearbox? Does this large clip go immediately in front of the 3 bolt ring?

Many thanks.

We've all been there. The small clip on my old shaft failed and started leaking.

I would drain whats left in the box oil wise, remove the shaft and clean the inside and out of the boot and use a proper clip that will last and seal properly, not a random one. If it's not the right fitment / done up too tight / not cleaned up properly etc, you'll risk it popping off, and that isn't something you want at the back of your mind when your pushing the car in my opinion.

Here's the clip I used on my old one

SAM_0276_zpsff895372.jpg

Does yours look the same at this one below?

Unsure what you mean by large clip?

Should just be the triangular plate for the 3 bolts to the box, the boot and a small clip on the bearing side.

SAM_0259_zps12609e96.jpg

SAM_0283_zps382e557c.jpg

Thanks Chris, that's really helpful. It's all back together now but I've just gone and checked the car and there's a drip of gearbox oil on the boot next to the jubilee clip, so I'll go and get the proper CV clips as you suggest. It looks exactly like your 2nd and 3rd images.

The only snag is that the large clip below was found on the boot. I'm not exactly sure where it came from as I was trying to mop up gearbox oil at the time but it's in the photo below. It's confused the hell out of me as I thought the traingular plate with the 3x bolts just clamped the boot up to the gearbox on its own....

clip.jpg

Bloke, sorry you're quite right, it's not a circlip, I'm not thinking straight :S

Chris, yep just checked, it's come off the other end. I'm such a muppet, it's so obvious. I just assumed it was somehow off the gearbox end.

Time to jack it in and look at it in the morning!