ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test driving a Cup

'01 Saxo VTS + '79 1275GT

Hi...this is my first post, so go easy...heh heh.

Ive currently got a Saxo VTS, which Ive had since May. Unfortunately (or fortunately?!) Im bored of it already and fancy a Cup. I wondered if any of you guys are my age (Im 19) and had any problems getting a test drive? Hopefully the dealer would see I like my hot hatches if I turned up in my VTS, but Im not convinced theyll be too happy in letting me drive one.

Please dont start saying Im too young to have a Cup, I aint your average 19 year old (I have my head screwed on and been driving since age of 6 :D), itll be on my own insurance and Ill have paid for it...

Thanks for any replies!

Rich

RB 197 + Cup Pack

U are no way 2 young to have a cup! I had just turned 19 when i ordered mine. I got a test drive in a cup straight away, dint show my drivin licence or anything, lol!! (Sales manager of the dealer was an old friend of my dads tho). One of my mates who was 20 at the time asked to test drive one at a different dealer to me a while back and they just laughed in his face n basically wouldnt let him have a test drive one......aint got a clue why! :confused:

I got abuse on the SSC when I got my VTS coz I was only 18 (for some reason they thought I wouldnt be able to control the might of 125bhp...haha) so thought Id get it here coz I want the Cup...

If they laugh in my face, there will be trouble, I work in the trade so know how these things generally work. Whoever laughed would be in the proverbial... ;)

I guess Id better give the local Renault dealer a ring sometime.

Thanks.

Rich

RB 197 + Cup Pack

Yeah u shud do, there shouldnt b a problem being able to test drive a cup coz of ur age........my prob was finding a dealer that had one in to test drive!!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I jumped straight into the Mk1 172 test car when it had only been out a few months - and people say I do look quite young for my age so bugger knows how I managed it!

Ahh memories....

Ironically the guy I bought my valver off started chatting the car up to my dad while I just stood there - after a while my dad said "did you hear all that lad? better take it for a spin then!"

The guy was stunned I tell ya stunned?! why?! even when I parted with teh hard earned he said - Your 21?! Your too young to be driving this kind of car! your mates will be well impressed!

tee hee

Last thing he said to me was - Its red itll pull all the ladies.... Hmm..

E36 323i coupe

All I can say is you LUCKY FECKER!!!

I couldnt afford to buy a 1.2 Clio until I was 22, and at 21 I had to pay twice the price of the car on insurance on my MG Turbo Metro!

But now at the grand old age of 25, I can finally afford to buy and insure a Cup, and so I have. Its the dogs bollox, and I love it to bits!

YOURE TOO YOUNG TO HAVE A CUP YOU LUCKY "£$%*(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I think 19 is too young for most. But if you going from something like a VTS then you should be okay, small upgrades in power are fine, its when you get a 18-19 year old with there first car that mummy bought them that you have trouble.

Insurance is really gonna be your only killer. Group 17.

I can understand why some dealers might turn people away for test drives but honestly how do they expect to sell cars ? I never buy a new car unless I have test drivin it. I am going to test drive the RX-8 on the 20th, im only 25 (that seems young to me so shadup ;)) but the guy had no problem giving me a test drive.

Remapped derv Golf

A friend of mine had a CUP at 19! £1800 insurance though :)

Better hurry if you want a new one! Wont be many left

GO 4 IT M8 , I HAVE HAD MY 172 SINCE I WAS 18, AM 19 NOW INSURANCE IS A KILLER THO---

GET RID OF YA TIN CAN;) U NO IT MAKES SENSE

I know Benfield Renault in Newcastle wouldnt let young test pilots take out the Clio V6 they had earlier in the year. Understandable really.

I would have thought you shouldnt be too young to drive any car. Aslong as your at least 17 with a full UK driving licence, then you should be able to test drive any car.

If not then id class it as: DISCRIMINATION !!

A mere boy your age should be drivin a 1.2 and no more, what is the world comin too??!! ;)

I look young for my age (Im 25), and when I went for a test drive, the first thing they said to me was - have you looked into insurance????!!!! I said yes thanks and its not bad, Im older than I look!!! So yeah, they are wary - blame all the test pilots out there!!!

benfield renault in newcastle wont let anyone out in the blue v6 on scotwood road (there at the moment) unless they provide their own insurance. The guys it is sold me and my missus 3 clios over the last 4 years and im still having to threaten to break his legs to get a drive.

Hmmm Wonder when the missus picks up her new car she could distract him while i swipe the keys:devilish:

Unfortunately I cant quite afford a newun, so itd have to be a used one! The insurance will be about £2k, exactly what Im paying now on the VTS!

I only look about 15 too, which always seems to go against me when looking at cars for sale (strange that! lol), just Ive heard about Renault being a rather crap dealer network many a time, so thought they might get a bit funny about it! I aint no mummys boy either (well, I am but not in that sense!), I work hard for my money!

CUP8OY, I couldnt live with the anything that does sub 9 seconds to 60mph, my Mini is quicker than that and its my "fun car" hehe!

Im going to be flat broke if I get a Cup, but I think its got to be done. Nothing else for the money that delivers the speed/looks/ability.

Rich

E36 323i coupe

Careful insurance brokers dont rip you off... Cup WAS Grp 17, but this year it went down to Grp 16. It may only mean a few quid at your age, but worth it.

Also worth getting pass plus, and maybe advanced driving to bring insurance down.

Im 25 and pay £550 (with 3pts on my licence), and I have 7 years no claims.

Clio should be less than VTS as is in a better safety category, is more secure both when left and with the driver inside what with R.A.I.D and the alarm/immobiliser, and is far less common so far less commonly stolen.

Good luck!

wouldnt take anything ssc people say their all ****ers any way I like my Vts but the boy image that goes with it sucks, worse at track, from 205 drivers

Insurance quote was from http://www.elephant.co.ukwww.elephant.co.uk, mate, which is who Im with at the moment. I pay £2045 at the mo, fully comp on the VTS, which is grp 14. Its the later one, so has better safety (4 air bags), and alarm and immob. The quote I got was based on a grp 16 Cup I think. I dont have any NCB at the mo, but will have a years by the time I get the Cup (March time), fingers crossed...

Im not worried bout Pass Plus, I dont really get the time to do it (unfortunately), would love to do Advanced though, and hopefully will soon! Rang a Renault dealer in Canterbury today (localish), and they dont run a demo Cup and dont have any second hand. They have one in the showroom which they wont let me test drive apparantly, coz it only has about 2 miles on the clock, anymore and it wont be classed as new. Theres another dealer local to me though, so Ill give them a go! Want to get it from a dealer really so I can part chop the Saxo in against it, to save trying to flog it on privately.

No comment on the SSC ;)

Rich

pass plus means f**k all , every where i tried 4 insurance i just said i had pass plus , they said it did not matter 1 bit ,maybe with lower ins grp cars but not these ones ............