ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

the 172 was spluttering!!

after about 5 mins of starting it up my 172 was spluttering and the zorst popping flet very strange like it didnt want to go, almost like a blocked tailpipe. I had this problem on my old valver, and no one could find out what caused it, it caused me allsorts of problems, but then it got wrote off solving it i hated that car (useless) but today the symptoms that plagued my old valver were appearing in my 172, has anyone else had this problem with their valvers or 172s my cars std apart from a magnex. grrr im starting to think SHORTY is right:mad:

CTR EK9 turbo

apparently the coils on 172s are renowned for going. Thats what a mechanic at a renault garage told me when i described similar symptoms, but mine was hot. It stalled then stunk of CAT/eggs....

The coil feeds the distributor or equivalent in a 172 that in turn feeds the spark plugs. If the coil is breaking down u would get weak sparks resulting in a missfire.

Lee

BMW M2C

Instead of a distributor each spark plug has a coil. I think. They sit between the spark plug and whatever is the other end!! From what the RAC guy was telling me. Dont take my word for that though, I have no idea about engines.

My boss used to have a Scenic 2.0 16v and one went in that. It coughed and spluttered. Sounds like a very similar problem.

Think yourself lucky you dont have a VAG car. I have a friend who had coil issues with his beetle and spent 3 months without his car. They are going like mad and no one has any available.

old cars used to have one coil which fed charge to the distributor cap and then from the cap to the plugs, most modern cars have one per cylinder and are controlled by the ignition control unit/ecu call it what you will and this tells them when to feed charge to the plugs

if its spluttering it could be the igniton coils, i use to have a 106 that the igniton module failed causing it to run on 2 cylinders, splutter loads and be down on power!

Another possibility is that either the fuel pump or fuel relay is faulty and hence a lack of fuel into the engine, problems like this can be very expensive if u take it to a dealer so sort out about as much as u can before any1 else gets there hands on it...

Hope this is of help, also most distributer less cars fire there coils in pairs - like spark plugs 1 & 3 then 2 & 4 and so on...

if its a lead/coil problem you can usually check by diconnecting the leads one by one, if the running is the same then thats your problem cylinder if it gets worse you know its ok, then move on to the next. did this to solve a misfire on my gtturbo and found it was a fooked plug

The spark plugs on a 172 are special long life platinum ones, there a complete pain to get out (you have to take the inlet manifold off!) and there suppose to last over 40k miles so i cant see it being as simple as that...

CTR EK9 turbo

possibly the coil or lamda sensor?

Mines booked in for:

engine mount under battery
dodgy lamda sensor(?)
suspension leak(?)
gearbox 2nd one.
front passenger seat

Ill report back when theyve found out the problem

Also, my revs take AGES to drop when i rev it, or change gear and the car feels a bit temporamental with regards to 100%