ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 200 woops ass!!

The biggest change is surely Williams to 172, and 182 to 197

Yeh, but thats mk1 to mk2, mk2 to mk3.

This just just another phase. So like 172 ph1 to 172 ph2.

Although when you read all these negative comments about the 200, a little glance to the left and you either see a 197 avatar or car details..

lol, that's why I said negative.

So doesn't include you because you're not slagging it off because its a better car than yours.

Barge
Dan, you were doing sooooo well... You'd managed all apostrophes, until you slipped up with 'its' - I thought I'd made you perfect for a fleeting moment. :(

ps. It's not better than mine. Mine's limited edition, innit. :cool:

Yeh, but thats mk1 to mk2, mk2 to mk3.

This just just another phase. So like 172 ph1 to 172 ph2.

Although when you read all these negative comments about the 200, a little glance to the left and you either see a 197 avatar or car details..

Yeah I know. The phase differences are always subtle though. I quite like the 200 tbh.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'd compare the 182 to 200 evolution to that of audi. Tt leading to gallardo leading to r8 v10. Innit.

Clio RS 200 cup chassis
Talking s**t wthout substance again.

The gearbox is the same as in scenic etc etc.
Same chassis different springs & dampers.
At the end of the day you can quote what mag you like the most important part of any car is the 'nut' holding the wheel;)

hi, sorry to break the new but, I am not quoting any mag I am quoting the renault quality consultant that is in charge of the new gear box made in Barcelona for the rs200. Also he did do research and the chassis has benn completly reworked......

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
hi, sorry to break the new but, I am not quoting any mag I am quoting the renault quality consultant that is in charge of the new gear box made in Barcelona for the rs200. Also he did do research and the chassis has benn completly reworked......
Most likely BSing you fella. Renault would hardly do that level of work then not publicise it.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I'm not doughting it's a good car but don't believe the hype!
Especially from Renault :quiet:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Are the 200's alot bigger than the 197's? I see a new style Clio on the way to work some days and it looks very big. Not Clio size.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Apparently they have modded the hub carrier on the REVOKNUCKLE ;) ... also known as double axis, bit less unsprung weight, so all good. New chassis would only comprise of reworked dampers/springs and possibly arb, nothing else

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Are the 200's alot bigger than the 197's? I see a new style Clio on the way to work some days and it looks very big. Not Clio size.

nah, same shell. Think phase 1 172 to phase 2. Reworked/different nose, but same shell running gear (ish)

UR R26
I own a 182. Id take a 197 over a 200 any day of the week. To be honest if you cant see the difference between 197 and a mk3 diesel, you need your eyes testing.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ahh right, tell you what I do like on the 200 is that cool yellow rev counter!

Tis cool. Saw a GW 200 in capenhurst the other week, looked well! Still think the front is a little clumsy, but meh, i'd take one judging by the write ups they are getting

197 F1 R27
Ok here goes. Clear up some of the confusion and hate :D

200: The car is called a 200 because its 200 PS which converts to about 197 bhp.

197: The 197 is 197ps and converts to about 194 bhp.

The new clio 200 has 3bhp more than the 197 did.

The new 200 Cup chassis gets damper settings that are 15 per cent stiffer than the 197 Cup’s. Maximum power and torque remain largely unchanged.

The 200 has a revised 1st 2nd 3rd which are shorter.

The 200 has a new RevoKnuckle system used on the FRS which helps to eliminate tourque steer.

200 1204 kg
197 1240 kg

Hey and i drive a 200 and im well happy at the moment. A lot happier than i would be in a 197. It gets a lot of looks and none have been bad yet. Also only had good coments. It does look like a frog and its not pretty but its different from the norm and it dont look like a standard model. A mk3 clio went past me today and i couldnt tell if it was a 197 or a diesel untill it over took me as they look to dull.

Paul

The difference is simply 3 BHP more, stiffer springs, better dampers and revised 1-3 ratios. The mcpherson dual strut has been around since the Megane 225 so torque steer and handling has never been an issue on the 197 (and is unchanged on the 200).

In terms of the 200 increasing the low down grunt, well this was addressed on the 197 in 2008 with an ECU remap released by Renault. Henk from Fastchip has confirmed the Renault 197 ECU upgrade gives the same gains as an aftermarket map so I'm guessing the torque on the 200 is not going to be that different to an updated 197.

I think the 200 is superb car for the money and would make a good upgrade for a 172/182 owner, but perhaps not so attractive if you already have a 197.

I can't see any 197 boys slagging off here, they are merely correcting facts.

In terms of looks....well how anyone can say the 197 looks like a normal Clio or doesn't turn heads defeats me. I know mine does!! LOL

cars_1.jpg

cars_4.jpg

cars_5.jpg

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As Steve mentioned Stevo, the 200 has a different head, so I very much doubt the Renault map gives the same result. Why would they invest in the new head if that were so? And the cup packed car has a quicker rack as well.

Tav

Clio 197
Buy a 197 and when the money saved see if Renault will sell you some 200 springs and dampers, job done.

197 F1 R27
As Steve mentioned Stevo, the 200 has a different head, so I very much doubt the Renault map gives the same result. Why would they invest in the new head if that were so? And the cup packed car has a quicker rack as well.

I'm keen to get in a 200 and find out how well it pulls and whether it would be worth getting one when the release the special edition (which we all know they will).

The revised cylinder head could be just to improve economy or durability, nobody really knows what the differences are yet so we are all speculating. One thing I will say is that if you are gonna judge the 197 then dismiss the negative reviews (i.e Evo) and judge it with the ECU update as it really does improve the low down grunt.

There is still a minor flat spot in mine around 3-4k so perhaps the new head has given the engineers the ability to map this out whilst retaining economy and emissions levels...(I'm just guessing here)

Tangoed Works
I would say that it is being blown out of all proportion saying
that the 200 isn't better than the 197. Long and short of it is
that it wouldn't be worth the upgrade If u already had a 197
but defo if u have a 1*2 of some sort.

It looks genuinley that the 200 is what the 197 should have been.
At the end of the day the 197 received a lot of criticism when it
was released etc about being too revvy on the mway and a couple
of other points, but obvoiusly the handling and braking moved the
game on.

It's good that renault listen to the feedback customers and
the press give as it gives us excellent cars like the 200. Roll on the next
cliosport and all the criticism it will receive on here.

Btw FLOL at 197 with a remap!