ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Apple Watch Thread

Thoughts on this?

Anyone going to order one on launch?

Good solution to charging it and it seems nicely customisable.

0b29326b2d7696884f9c8e8a7ebe81a4.jpg

316d929d12b66a4c083e476dd205d766.jpg

Last edited:

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Personally I do believe this type of thing is the future, it'll just take a while to get used to.

I love some features on this like needing no keys for a hotel room. Like not needing your wallet with the new iPhone.
But the world hasn't caught up yet!

Using the watch as a view finder for the phone camera lol, so basically you can use your phone to spy on people.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Ok after seeing the live demo I wrote this:

Feeling overwhelmed with the Apple Watch. I love technology, I really do, technology is what I am about. Watching the Apple watch live demo - I can't express how seeing technology as incredible as this makes me feel. Some said that Apple was a dying brand after Steve Jobs, and I feared that too. However seeing the innovation that has gone in to this product alone, I will never doubt Apple again. This thing isnt just functional in more ways than I can list, its a thing of beauty. Technology coming to life in a way that only Apple can imagine - I feel so damn happy to see something like this coming to market. Whether you love gadgets, innovation and technology as much as me, or you don't care either way? I can't see anybody disputing that this is more impressive than 99 / if not 100% of what we have seen from anyone else. The things you can do, I couldnt have imagined. Love technology, you can't help but love Apple. Could go on forever but no words can express how impressed and blown away I am. This is simply "insanely great".

You can use Apple Pay with it, you can do pretty much anything. Honestly, this thing is incredible.

BMW E46 330i Touring
There need to be a few lukewarm iterations of these designs in order for the World to start adopting technology into modern living.

So whilst this Apple Watch may not be a great seller, the potential it can eventually unlock is huge. As Apple set the standard and make sure everyone else develops technology that's Apple-proof. A small wearable device as an extension of your phone is a great idea, it just needs to develop to the point where the two devices can talk, reliably, hundreds of miles apart. It'll be there soon enough.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The fact Apple maps is worse than cat s**t does not make it that exciting tbh.

The wireless charging is required to make a watch that needs charging daily acceptable anyway, is it even waterproof?

The fact Apple maps is worse than cat s**t does not make it that exciting tbh.

The wireless charging is required to make a watch that needs charging daily acceptable anyway, is it even waterproof?

Yeah I still prefer Google Maps, but do prefer the layout of the Apple maps when navigating.
I like the watch feature than gives slight vibrations so you know to turn left or right without looking.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah I still prefer Google Maps, but do prefer the layout of the Apple maps when navigating.
I like the watch feature than gives slight vibrations so you know to turn left or right without looking.

Definitely agree, just wish you could rely on it.

The fact it had Blackpool and Luton 5 minutes from Cornwall up until recently doesn't fill me with confidence.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Im very very very excite about this!

Definitely agree, just wish you could rely on it.

The fact it had Blackpool and Luton 5 minutes from Cornwall up until recently doesn't fill me with confidence.

Me and a friend tried to get to llanberis in north Wales once... It took us both to a shop in Chester :( an hour and a half out of the way lol!

Some nice ideas that I would genuinely use. It will do the full fitness tracking thing without messing around with my phone, so useful for my cycling. Also the possibility of live view from my Sony a7 camera (my iPhone/iPad already has an App to livestream what my camera is doing, and then allows me to fully control it and take photos etc, so presumably no reason why this can't do it either). Will also control Apple TV, so probably 3 very distinct things I would use it for.

Would I buy one? Probably not, but as a concept that will no doubt develop into something far more interesting with various apps in future, it has potential.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It's interesting to look back at the iPad announcement thread here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ent-27th-Jan-Apple-iPad/page11&highlight=ipad

Lots of people saying, 'I don't get it', 'What's the point' and 'I'll stick with my laptop thanks' etc....

I'm yet to be convinced i need one of these, but I expect in a few years we might be looking back in the same way.

Except that the iPad filled the needs of 95% of computer users, people failed to see that in the post back then. You'll find most people use their laptop/computer for email, facebook and surfing the web. The iPad fills those needs perfectly, it's lightweight, battery lasts ages - i.e it's a superior user experience.

This on the other hand, takes something that's sole purpose is for telling the time, adds crap to it and turns it from being something that you change the battery every 3 years to something you have to remember to charge otherwise it's a nice paperweight. (I suspect the joke will be that if you ask a Apple Watch user the time they'll have to pull their phone out of their pocket)

Plus you'll look like a grade A **** wearing one, 5 minutes of Jony Ive talking about the innovative pin should be enough reason to convince you of this!

dk

911 GTS Cab
I stopped wearing a watch a couple of years ago as all it did was tell the time and I had my phone for that.

This is the return of the watch, times have moved on, the ability to have lots of functionally on my wrist rather than having to get my phone out of my pocket is going to mean this is likely to be a winner for me.

And im a watch person, but I only wear them for special occasions now.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I stopped wearing a watch a couple of years ago as all it did was tell the time and I had my phone for that.

This is the return of the watch, times have moved on, the ability to have lots of functionally on my wrist rather than having to get my phone out of my pocket is going to mean this is likely to be a winner for me.

And im a watch person, but I only wear them for special occasions now.

It'll suit you to a T.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It's interesting to look back at the iPad announcement thread here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ent-27th-Jan-Apple-iPad/page11&highlight=ipad

Lots of people saying, 'I don't get it', 'What's the point' and 'I'll stick with my laptop thanks' etc....

I'm yet to be convinced i need one of these, but I expect in a few years we might be looking back in the same way.

Im in no way denying my need for one of these. I held out on buying a few smart watches at the beginning of the year waiting for this to be announced.

Ill happily admit i didnt didn't get the point of the iPad at first though.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
No chance.

Guy in my area of the business has one of these type things.

Walking Contraception.

You will look like a certified t**t wearing one of these.

It was a terrible idea when Samsung did it and is still a terrible idea now.

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Wearing one of these is on par with walking around using a bluetooth earpiece while having your phone in a case clipped to your belt

330Ci (Fail)Sport
On the one hand I really like this idea of this a lot, but tbh it just seems a lazy response to taking your phone out of your pocket. It may be useful whilst driving to quickly read a message or see who's calling but how long before it become an offence.

I see this product only useful if you wear it all the time, I however quite like my watches for their design so would rather stick with them.

Suzuki Jimny
I imagine this would be good news for thieves, who can steal it at knife point, and also therefore know that you'll have an iphone 5s/6 on you too.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with Nik, a few years down the line I think it likely we'll all be looking back believing them to be the best thing ever.

I don't get the hate for the appearance; compared to some of the vulgar monstrosities in the watches thread they look quite elegant and refined. The Moto X for Google looks spot on IMO.

As for use...I regularly, as it 5-10 times a day, voice control Google now to get information on something. Being able to do this without needing to remove phone from pocket, unlock, speak, read, lock, replace in pocket...instead just speak and read is something, just like the instant convenience/gratification that comes from using a tablet, is a great thing that I think will become the norm.

Similarly, reading texts/emails, controlling audio, checking weather, all will be simply instant.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've been using a pebble watch, and the notifications etc are genuinely useful. But I like watches, and all of the smart watches (including apples) do nothing for me. They look s**t. I'd rather wear a proper watch and look at my phone when needed.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Controlling atv
showing callers/texts at a glance
looking better than some watches at the moment
allowing third party apps

are all reasons I want one and that's not even the top of the iceberg yet.

Wait it until they're released and third party developers get hold of them.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Haha yeah! Probably has a hidden camera which secretly films people w**k.