ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Apple Watch Thread

Polo GTi
Looks really nice the strap, looks quality, I've had a couple non apple bands and they have been crap, I'm after a brown leather like above and also a metal one, there so many to choose from, and the ones I've bought and sent back have been crap.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Do any of you AW owners use them for fitness ? I am looking for a new smart watch and like the Garmin Vivo3 but it does not have 4g which I didn't think was necessary but as I run alone and down canal/river paths the safety feature of being able to alert someone in the event of an injury has spiked my interest in the AW.
One draw back I have seen on the reviews is it takes 2/3 minutes to lock onto heart rate and gps something that takes seconds on my old garmin 620.

Polo GTi
I use Strava on mine for Mountain biking, it locks on the GPS quickly and I've had no problems with the Heart Rate.

I've got the Nike + Apple Watch 3, it comes with the Nike+ running app, but as I don;t run I can't really help you there.

The Strava app does running though and that works faultless on my watch, but then again I've never tried a dedicated sports watch before to compare.

Polo GTi
I go out with a few lads on the bikes, 2 of us use apple watches and the rest use their phones, I can't say I've noticed and discrepancies between us all, but like I say I cant compare it to a garmin as I've never used one.

Looking to get ones of these for my 40th now! I was thinking of waiting to see what the version 4 will offer but I like what the 3 offers.

What size are people using? I will go try both on and see what suits me!

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
Hi all, bit of a random post, but basically I decided to start selling Apple Watch straps online as a bit of a hobby and I am just looking for some feedback from people who had bought similar products / have an Apple Watch.

Firstly, I just want to make it clear this is not a sales post, I just wanted to get some feedback, but if this is not allowed apologies mods and please delete.

So I have a leather strap that I sent away for some pro photos but I'm not if I made a bit of a mistake with the colour of the leather, so would just be grateful of a few peoples feedback on the colour, style, etc.

I don't know if it's just me as its not 100% to my taste, so would appreciate any comments (good or bad).

Thanks
Tom

View attachment 1372469View attachment 1372470View attachment 1372471

Just click on thumbnails for full size images.

Can you send me the link too. I really like the colour of the strap plus the carbon/black looking clip is awesome!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
New watch is coming apparently.
Same size of body with Taptic button instead of a physical button and a larger, rounder screen with less bezels, also maybe more health sensors

New watch is coming apparently.
Same size of body with Taptic button instead of a physical button and a larger, rounder screen with less bezels, also maybe more health sensors

Quite like current shape! Probably be a price hike too!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Quite like current shape! Probably be a price hike too!
It’s the same shape, just bigger screen to body ratio.

Apple are pretty good with keeping hardware similar prices until there’s a massive overhaul
(Then again how much can you overhaul a watch!?)

It’s the same shape, just bigger screen to body ratio.

Apple are pretty good with keeping hardware similar prices until there’s a massive overhaul
(Then again how much can you overhaul a watch!?)

Most reports I have read said it’s going to be rounder?

I wanted a black on me but damn Apple only do black in the stainless!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Most reports I have read said it’s going to be rounder?

I wanted a black on me but damn Apple only do black in the stainless!

Yeah rounder screen edges, rather than 90 degree corners. Much like the new iPad will have

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Is the stainless worth the premium over the alloy?

Alloy owner here, it’s taken knocks here and there and still looks new. I never bothered with a case or screen protector for it. Couldn’t really justify the premium of the stainless. Had a wear of the ceramic which felt heavier but wasn’t worth the extra £k

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Going to order once delivery estimates are a bit shorter.
Apparently if you've got an original Apple Watch (as I do) then it's a no brainer.
Shame it's now £530 for the spec I want
Yeh I've heard that too. This would be my first one but prices are eye watering

dk

911 GTS Cab
Anyone gone for a series 4?
I have one, decent upgrade from the 3 IMO.

Love the new bigger screen, much more useful, speaking is better, hopefully I don't have to try out the fall feature, but as I am known for dislocating my ankle on a regular basis it could come in handy!

Went for the gold this time too after having 2 black ones, so it looks different too. Bit annoying that the gold with cellular could fly be bought with a pink strap though, so I've bought a tangerine one to stop people calling me gay, which was happening for the first 2 days of ownership.........

it also feels flatter on the wrist.

so no regrets on upgrading.

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
I have one, decent upgrade from the 3 IMO.

Love the new bigger screen, much more useful, speaking is better, hopefully I don't have to try out the fall feature, but as I am known for dislocating my ankle on a regular basis it could come in handy!

Went for the gold this time too after having 2 black ones, so it looks different too. Bit annoying that the gold with cellular could fly be bought with a pink strap though, so I've bought a tangerine one to stop people calling me gay, which was happening for the first 2 days of ownership.........

it also feels flatter on the wrist.

so no regrets on upgrading.
Do you have the cellular one? With EE isn't it?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Do you have the cellular one? With EE isn't it?
yes I do, and yes it is.

I actually said after the series 3 I wouldn't buy another one with cellular as I used it once I think, but I was sucked in again with the better speaker and better reception. I does seem to have better reception, but I just never not have my phone on me. I can maybe see for a runner it would be handy so that you don't need to take your phone with you, and can listen to streaming music, but I swim, and so I don't have a phone on me, but I can't really do much with the watch either in the pool as you look a dick.

but I doubt I'll go back now. I think Vodafone are also getting cellular now too?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I'm thinking of getting a cellular one even though Three don't support it yet, more to futureproof it, £100 so that if Three do support it in the next few years i'm covered

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Friend of mine had the 3 with cell and says it’s a waste of money if you’re just getting the sport watch.

If you want the stainless then you have no option but how often do you want to want to make a call or send a smiley face to someone without having your phone within 10m of your body?

To top it off it’s another monthly payment. £5 a month with EE I think.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Finally a Spotify App!! Looks like offline playlists will also be appearing soon.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Strava
Nike+ Run app
Apple Music if you have AirPods

I keep mine quite sparse really... I mainly use it for fitness/MTB stuff. Hence it being currently smashed to bits awaiting Apple repair. Lol.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
To be honest the built in apps offer the perfect functionality for the watch there’s not many others you need.
Got the Hue app on there for controlling the lights at home plus an app for multi-factor login at work, but you still get the notifications from your iPhone even if the associated app isn’t installed on the watch.

So looking at the series 4 now but I’m not a big fan of big watches. Anyone using the 40mm and happy with its size?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I’ve read that the series 4 has a function which can perform an ECG on your heart. I wonder is it a ‘medically recognised’ ECG or just a gimmick?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
used it a couple of times (have an american watch) - its good to have an idea but wouldnt implicitly trust it!

only uses 1 point of something instead of 14 thats normally used in a hospital. but it can detect my mates afib every now and then when it flares up so fairly good i imagine.

its also supposed to randomly check your heart and raise any issues if you do have any but mine doesnt pick anything up so i assume in healthy.

negative reinforcement isnt the right way though lol

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve read that the series 4 has a function which can perform an ECG on your heart. I wonder is it a ‘medically recognised’ ECG or just a gimmick?

Its accurately basic if done properly. A medically recognised ECG is made up of 12 or 3 simultaneous readings. The apple watch takes just one but its enough to see if something is wrong from a v basic point of view. Its not diagnostic but rather an abnormality on the apple watch ECG may indicate further investigations.

ECG readings are massively influenced by movement artefact, even breathing so you need to know how to interpret it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I've been using mine for Strava more recently rather than taking my iPhone out too. Mainly because it's the Max and is bulky AF.

Really impressed with the functionality though, I'm not sure if the non-cellular ones can do it (do they all have GPS?) but it's been really good on its own.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Picked up my first Apple Watch (S4) a few weeks ago. Really liking it although I do think it's a bit overpriced, for it's uses. On the other hand you can't say it's overpriced for all the tech packed in there.

Any killer apps I'm missing? Wouldn't mind a news app that's more than just headlines (pointless) I'm using Flipboard at the moment.