ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The banging under hard acceleration

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 08 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by david_129 on 08 January 2004

to be honest i rekon it happens on 1.6s aswell ive had a banging/shaking only in 1st under hard acceleration for ages and i dont know what to do about it...is there actually a fix then?
so it affects 1.6s aswell, put your name down in the list then.. see the sticky FAO 172 owners in clio discussion.

TBH im sure it affects all mk2 phase 2 clios.. regardless of whether its a 1.2 or 172, but I dont know if the 1.2 has the power to make the wheels bounce like in the 172s. Not a critisism of the 1.2s by any means.
there have been quite a number of posts from 1.6s on this...most of us using ik and lowered and thnikin it was these problems...but ive been keeping track of the 172 issue and it seems identical to me. Id describe it as banging almost juddering/shaking of the whole car when foot to the floor in 1st. i dont get it in 2nd at all really and never in any other gears...u think its the same??

R27

my mate has took his 172 back 2 renault 4 times now. its had 2 sets of standard gearbox mounts and its on cup 1s now. the lad gives it pure death all the time.after 15,000 it smashed a hole in the side of the gearbox and had too have a new 1. renault tryed (but failed) to get out of doin it under warranty and said it was down to driver abuse.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Okay im gonna chage the title of the FAO 172 owners to FAO Mk2 Clio owners, appologies for excluding other mk2 owners we thought it only affected the 172/Cups.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 08 January 2004

to be honest i rekon it happens on 1.6s aswell ive had a banging/shaking only in 1st under hard acceleration for ages and i dont know what to do about it...is there actually a fix then?
so it affects 1.6s aswell, put your name down in the list then.. see the sticky FAO 172 owners in clio discussion.

TBH im sure it affects all mk2 phase 2 clios.. regardless of whether its a 1.2 or 172, but I dont know if the 1.2 has the power to make the wheels bounce like in the 172s. Not a critisism of the 1.2s by any means.
there have been quite a number of posts from 1.6s on this...most of us using ik and lowered and thnikin it was these problems...but ive been keeping track of the 172 issue and it seems identical to me. Id describe it as banging almost juddering/shaking of the whole car when foot to the floor in 1st. i dont get it in 2nd at all really and never in any other gears...u think its the same??
it sounds like the same problem, I notice it most when the wheels spin though.

Embarrassed to say

Okay tonight i went out in my cup and on the advice of the garage i just disregarded the banging. I floored it on a bumpy road and it jumped out of first gear. I noticed that when i do get the banging the gear lever moves about a fair bit, so presumably flooring it on a bumpy road coupled with the banging made it come out of 1st. Makes me more hesitant to floor it in first now.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

:eek: it actually jumped out of gear.. that could be dangerous if you were pulling out of a junction.

Embarrassed to say

I dont think it was dangerous because at the time to change up to second i noticed it was in neutral without me doing anything.

Mine is worse in the wet because the wheels spin that much easier. It has done it in the dry as well but usually only if I make a slight turn (left usually) when the nearside wheel is light. Then it bangs like a madman with a lump hammer, sounds like the wheel is bouncing up and down like mad !

Is this what you are on about ?

If not the other bang I get is when the clutch is engaged when going flat out on gear changes. This is like a knock but softer than metal on metal, I put it down to slack being taken up by the rubber engine mounts.

yeah, my 1.4 16v does it as well. Take it to watchdog. I doubt they will see to it under warrenty because they dont expect everyone to drive their car like they stole it.

RB5 & 172

i had this problem on my mk1, it banged like mad in first to start with. after several trips to reno they found nothing despite me telling them i thought it was the engine mount under the battery.

eventually it would do it in 2nd and 3rd and i could not go over 3k! it went back to renualt (different dealer) and they confirmed the engine mount under the batery was shot which in turn bent/knackered the rear engine torsion bar which meant the engine hit the sub frame and the zorst hit the heat shield.

the fun part was that becuase i had a magnex they would not sort it under warranty as they said my enging warranty was void, it cost me around £500!! including all the labour and parts (also had an aux belt replaced aswell).

it did seem to sort the problem.

It seems alot of the renaults dealers who are faced with this problem cant seem to recognize what the actual problem is!

I mean you take it in they tell you they have fixed it but as soon as your a couple of miles down the road you hear the same noise??

What i dont get is why do they say its fixed when its clearly not dont they road test the vehicle??

You shoudnt have to keep going back for the same problem which they claim to have fixed 3 or 4 times this is so wrong!!!!

Is there anyone on here that can say that renault have actually fixed the problem?

Or is there anyone who hasnt had this problem?

Are there anyone who hasnt had most of the problems people are having with their 172/cup???........

Rob.

Embarrassed to say

Its the engine banging against the subframe. Its getting on my nerves because i started flooring the throttle last night disregarding the banging and came out of first gear with no input from me.

Okay so I spoke to the customer service to find out what was going on as they were getting an update by rsport on my car. They said that rsport told them it was just a characteristic of the such a powerful car. I then pointed out that it seems to be happening not just to 172 and she again said it was a characteristic of the power of the car.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Im sorry but ferraris dont jump out of gear so its a problem not a characteristic.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

I was passin a renault dealer today so i called in and asked about this problem. All i said was my car was making a loud banging noise under hard accelleration and that id heard it was a common fault and had they heard about it?

The only answer they would give was to ring customer services!! As they would know more about it!! mind you this is the same dealer i ordered a blue car from and it came silver 2 months later than promised!

Hi,

Im from Portugal, and my car has gone 3 times to the dealer to try and fix this issue, the owner of the dealer told me that renault doesnt solve this under warranty, but there is a way to solve this. He also told me that he has tried over and over with Renault Portugal to fix 172 in warranty with this issue but they didnt gave him permition to do so... They are going to take my engine off as i have a broken clutch and they are going to see if they can arrange someway they could fix the banging without loosing warranty with Renault Portugal.

Embarrassed to say

Yeah customer service was taking the piss but this is renaults way of not honouring their legal obligations by fixing my car under warranty. Rsport told them it was a characteristic of the car and thus there is nothing wrong with it. But i have had atleast 20 people who have been in the car say how they would be down the dealers demanding something done about it etc etc etc.