ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Bargain 200 Thread!

M2 / Golf GTI
Right, after much abuse over various car purchases over the past few weeks I am happy to be back into the CS Fold.

Whilst the car is probably a little unnecessary I somehow managed to convince myself a need a track car (complete novice) and suitable daily for my 20 mile B road commute. The Porsche will do it I am sure but variety is the spice of life!

Anyway, after searching for a few 172 Cup's or 182's I didn't really have much luck. Lots of people on Facebook who really cba to even reply and most overpriced or ultimately shite. Then pops up the 200 on my radar, even better, it's at a friends garage.

I send him a message late at night and the next morning a deal is done, the 59 plate 200 with 111k is mine for the sum of £2700. Given he's been sat on it since the end of last year I'm pretty sure he's more than happy to get back what he paid!

Anyway, I collected today and in typical French style it was a complete drama. Given how long the car had been sat the battery was completely f**ked. A replacement battery was sorted however obviously not right and after a Christmas tree of dash lights and a couple of breakdowns the car was showing it's true French flair. A quick trip back to a friends garage after a little call out help and another more powerful battery was loaned to get me home. Surprisingly the correct battery is now on order!

IMG_0116.jpg

Anyway... once home I had the chance to give the car a quick once over which revealed much better than expected bodywork! The rear bumper has a small crack which I new about when purchasing so that will be in for paint in the following weeks but otherwise I'm pretty happy!

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Whilst I had the opportunity and a few Heinekens spare I decided to attack the interior which was somewhat unloved! A 1/10 mix of Surfex HD and the Bissel Carpet cleaner certainly made a difference to the seats. I can only hope the missus can stop her moaning now, look at the sh*t that came out of them! Suffice to say I'm quite impressed with the difference. On top of that some genuine floor mats were added and the inside is in very nice condition and I'm happy! I HATE aftermarket mats!

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

And that pretty much takes us up to date! To follow:

225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenze RE070 Tyres to go on. £300 from Protyre and a £40 Amazon voucher nets them to £65 a tyre, BARGAIN!

Full service, oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, plugs next week.

New battery hopefully should be here tomorrow.

Will go and get a few quotes to sort the rear bumper asap!

Then I might just get to enjoy it a little!

Thanks for the read!

M2 / Golf GTI
Thanks guys! New battery and full service this week then hopefully I can actually give it a proper drive. Got a feeling there might be a new niggles with this one given the age and mileage with how it’s been sat but overall I’m very happy so far!

172 Cup
Superb. What a bargain.
Interested to hear your thoughts when you have had a chance to get to have a few drives

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I’m not surprised your mate couldn’t sell it if that’s the state of the seats.
Great buy and vast improvement.

M2 / Golf GTI
Just trying to get to the bottom of the battery/alternator issues this morning. Put a new battery in from Euro's but once started the voltage doesn't seem to improve, I'm guessing the alternator is f*cked. Hopefully get to the bottom of it in the week.

M2 / Golf GTI
Money pit.......

Let's hope not

Pretty much...

Figured I'd try and keep a running cost going:

Car Price - £2700
Tax - £305
Insurance - £388.05

Parts / Servicing

Battery - £50
Shell Helix 5w-40 - £29.78
Service Kit (Oil, Air, Pollen Filter, Plugs) - £68.90
Floor Mats - £46.93
Wiper Blades - £18.50
Window Seals x 2 - £17.95
4 x Bridgestone Potenza - £299.42 (£40 in Amazon vouchers to come back, nett £259.42)

Total so far: £3923.53

Without Tax & Insurance - £3231.48

I imagine there will be a bill for an alternator coming soon and labour for the service.

M2 / Golf GTI
Man maths. Get rid of tax and insurance, will be better in the long run
I wasn’t sure if I should include it or not but I guess insurance depends on the person hence why I did the two numbers.

Checked as many things as I can on the battery front and all pointing to the alternator. Heard the 197/200 are a bit fussy on replacing them with non genuine parts but I’ve found a used one on ebay for £50ish (awaiting offer to be accepted!) so fingers crossed it works ok.

Is it worth changing the aux belt as well? For £18 I figured might as well.

M2 / Golf GTI
Right, new (used) alternator ordered as well as a new auxiliary belt to go on at the same time. Also ordered some brake fluid given the history doesn't look like it's been done for a few years. Prices updated! Fingers crossed that’s about it for now. Would like to sort the calipers out paint wise but that can wait for now.

Car Price - £2700
Tax - £305
Insurance - £388.05

Parts / Servicing

Battery - £50
Shell Helix 5w-40 - £29.78
Service Kit (Oil, Air, Pollen Filter, Plugs) - £68.90
Floor Mats - £46.93
Wiper Blades - £18.50
Window Seals x 2 - £17.95
4 x Bridgestone Potenza - £299.42 (£40 in Amazon vouchers to come back, nett £259.42)

USED Alternator - £70
Auxiliary Belt - £20
Brake Fluide - £9.48

Total so far: £4023.01

Without Tax & Insurance - £3329.96

M2 / Golf GTI
Car has gone in today for full service and alternator fitting. I hope after all this I might actually get to drive it! Not even had chance to take it over 3k rpm yet given the issues! Let's hope it's not a complete lemon after all this. New window seals have arrived and wipers also so they'll be going on after as well as the tyres!

M2 / Golf GTI
So car has been in a friend garage almost a week (I told him not to rush!) having the alternator and full service done. After that I am hoping I might actually get to drive it for once and see what it’s like!

Also having MOT done and once I pick it up will get the new tyres fitted. I’d like to think I should get at least a year of trouble free motoring then but we will see!

I bought 3 cars in lockdown, 2 of which are broken and 1 still on the way from Japan. It’s been a good 12 weeks since I’ve actually been able to drive anything worth driving!

M2 / Golf GTI
Car finally back today and finally got to drive it! New alternator fitted, full service incl plugs, oil, all filters, new Potenza's all round.

A bit of a relief managing to finally open it up and test out the gearbox etc which all seems to be spot on. The car drives very well.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the rear bumper, I might pick up a cheap replacement on eBay rather than paint it. It is after-all a 111k mile Clio not a show queen...

Not sure what the plan is from here, can't decide if I'm going to keep it or not... :ROFLMAO:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
well normal approach is to get the car sorted then immediately sell isn't it so as such decision has been made for you...NEXT!

lol

M2 / Golf GTI
Edited that for you bud

Haha I'm going to keep it for now. Quite enjoy driving something I couldn't give too much of a toss about. Nice to know it's mechanically sound and actually sounds alright. Look forward to piling it into the country lanes around here.