ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Black Pearl (1.2)

Listerine & Poledo
Nah, pretty sure the brakes etc. will swap over between all the ph.2 clios without a problem so long as it's not one of the 2.0 cars.

I still reckon you need a run out in a tuned DCi, there must be someone on the forum up that way.

Being an Ely lad, I know your pain with them tracurs buh, bukkers get everywhere boi! ;)

Clio 2.0 16v 182
No, same brakes and suspension unless you go for the phase 3 Paris initiale variant. They have rear discs, xenons, sport wheel but only 1.6 petrol and 5 door

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Nah, pretty sure the brakes etc. will swap over between all the ph.2 clios without a problem so long as it's not one of the 2.0 cars.

I still reckon you need a run out in a tuned DCi, there must be someone on the forum up that way.

Being an Ely lad, I know your pain with them tracurs buh, bukkers get everywhere boi! :wink:

i thought the 1.6 had disks front and back as appose to the 1.2 having drums on the rear, maybe i was just reading one that had that converted.

Maybe you're right, but what kinda money do i need to spend to have one tuned properly? i dont have much of a clue about things so labour cost would have to be included, i would consider it if it wouldn't be too much money, as if i had a tuned dci i would keep it for longer than i'd planned to keep the 1.6 i think. what kinda price band are the dci's available for? and how much effort is needed to get tuned?
id probably look to get it all done as quick as i could really.

hahahah, it is a pain, especially when you're next in line to overtake them using everything you've got :) bukkers 😂

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CLIO-SPORT-172-182-MEGANE-CHROME-5-SPD-GEAR-INSERT-RED-BLUE-ORANGE-BLACK/271534065159?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=33424&meid=5f5126c232e0445b87a970d1dc0b8553&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=281297539215

Think this has got your name on it mate:wink: was looking for a red and black one, but they've only got plain black.. looks much better with the gears actually embossed though, will last forever too! cars looking sweet mate, going to start plowing the cash into my 1.2 mk2!

i did see that actually, but im after gloss black and red numbering/lettering, will probably do it myself, does look smart. cheers bud, appreciate it! looks a bit dirty at the minute ;) nice one mate get a project thread going! i do love a Red clio with black everywhere!

Listerine & Poledo
I cant really help on costs, maybe @Scrooge can help put us right on that.

Ant, 1.5 DCi remap, and junking the Cat and silencers?
Rough guestimate, either as a garage job or a driveway job? RS tuner?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Not sure the map can be done by an RS tuner tbh.

Cat is passenger driveshaft out then unbolt the cat, smash all bits out and re fit. I'd also get the back box cut off and replaced with a pipe and they sound pretty cool.

Mine was all custom map etc ~around £400 now.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
boll***s, im really looking into dci's now. oh Christ what has been started *face to palm*! i never knew dci's had such potential. saw a post a few years ago, about 160bhp and over 280 torque or something similar. wow! So many things i want so little money, i didnt realise the torque these things were capable of. is there any good threads about dci tuning?

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one! uprated clutch from sachs to deal with the torque in higher gears? i wouldn't be able to do work myself, but if someone local knew what they were doing and wouldn't mind helping out for beers or something. unless costs of labour will have to be included:/ i know theres project threads on dci tuned beasts but didn't know if there was anything like a what can be done and costs kinda sticky? that would be pretty good, youve really got me into this now big time :) haha part reason why i want bigger car is i often have 3 other adults in the car, and the 1.2 struggles tbh. so this wouldn't be a problem with the torque;) christ im excited now, haha im such a kid. £400 doesnt seem too bad, what would that £400 do? i know a little about dci's but not a great deal.
dci 65, dci 80 and dci 100 am i right? dci 100 is best but doesnt have intercooler? but you can install dci 80 intercooler onto it quite straightforwardly?

i think im going to have to get the exhaust for dummies book out! i dont know about decat's and cat's are :) im guessing smashing the bits out of the cat turns it into a decat? i like to be prepared before i do something, thats why i ask about the costs etc! im really going to look into this now, especially because of the mpg return tax and low insurance group. it will at least allow me to save for a golf and actually delay getting one, or change my mind totally in fact.

Listerine & Poledo
£400 should get you a remap and all the restrictions taken out of your exhaust.

And there was you being all anti-smokers ;)

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
£400 should get you a remap and all the restrictions taken out of your exhaust.

And there was you being all anti-smokers :wink:

Nice one! What figures would I be looking from that? I'm guessing dci 100, with a dci 80 inter cooler would be the best thing?

Would that require the uprated clutch? Or would that be on the next stage?

How does this affect mpg? Does it go up?

I've also seen things about I think it's called subframe, like someone said I they wouldn't advise doing anything without upgrading subframe to sport one or something? What does that mean?

You're aware that a Decat will fail an MOT Tom? Unless you're "Friendly" with the tester :wink:
You're aware that Diesels don't actually need a catalyst to pass MOTs.
Nope, didn't know that. TIL!

I did know that actually, thanks anyway Mate will decat make any difference to noise? I don't want loud

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Found several 182 style exhausts for sale at the minute. How strange. There's one I'm Scotland the ktec one and he's refusing to post. Hence why I asked in the logistics if anyone was traveling that way

I think that's the only thing I want to do too the Clio now. A exhaust and change of wheels.

Can anyone suggest some lightweight wheels with good resell? Are turinis light? Was thinking about selling mine and just getting some turinis as they seem good resale value.

Gave the car a good clean Thursday for the first time in a good while. Was soooo filthy. Every time I clean it it does surprise me how nice it looks:) which is good.

I'll try get pictures of later! Also did a DIY wiper blank, didn't go too well, but it looks better than half a wiper.

Had loads of compliments about the front badge and how awesome it looks. Oh the little things

Will hopefully get some pictures up after football later⚽️

Clio Mk3 1.5DCI
Just finished reading this thread. Cars looking great! I had 1.2 a few years back, went golf and now driving a mk3 1.5 dci.....absolutely love it!! Haven't noticed much difference size wise between it and the golf and love the mpg return! Handelings not great but nothing a set of coilovers wouldn't solve! I feel it's a definite upgrade from the 1.2!
But I'm sure if you end up lowering it you'll end up loving the Clio again, especially once the stance is spot on!
But great work so far! Looking forward to seeing some updates!

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Shame I dint read this before I took my clio off the road as I would have taken you out in it and given you an idea if how one goes . Mines only a 65 but it's much nicer on the road than my sister 1.2 even tho it's not actually much faster it just fels it cause theres so much more torque.
Don't know if I would bother with the hassle changing for the small gains though :up:

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Just finished reading this thread. Cars looking great! I had 1.2 a few years back, went golf and now driving a mk3 1.5 dci.....absolutely love it!! Haven't noticed much difference size wise between it and the golf and love the mpg return! Handelings not great but nothing a set of coilovers wouldn't solve! I feel it's a definite upgrade from the 1.2!
But I'm sure if you end up lowering it you'll end up loving the Clio again, especially once the stance is spot on!
But great work so far! Looking forward to seeing some updates!

Thanks for reading mate, appreciate it! Fair enough bud, there isn't going to be as many updates now, but I will do little things as they come.
Thanks for looking

Shame I dint read this before I took my clio off the road as I would have taken you out in it and given you an idea if how one goes . Mines only a 65 but it's much nicer on the road than my sister 1.2 even tho it's not actually much faster it just fels it cause theres so much more torque.
Don't know if I would bother with the hassle changing for the small gains though :up:
Hahaha that's alright mate. I've gone off the idea of upgrading to a different Clio now anyway. Waste of time really, my heart is set on something with a lot more power haha.

How's the new whip going? Saw a black one on the chicken roundabout at Bungay on Friday, thought it was you! It wasn't though, different number plate. Look so nice though.

Looking at something with a 1.9 tdi lump in it. Won't be anytime soon though

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Update 1 of 2.

A little update now, car was a very very mucky. Nice shade of mud
So thought I'd give her a little clean
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not sure why I didn't take pictures of the front but it was very bad

After a good clean I thought I'd fit some new reversing bulbs. Cree ones. I think they're a cheap version of Cree but still do the job and are very bright and white. Which suits all the other LEDs I have everywhere else.

Old
image.jpg

Ew yellow...
image.jpg

New vs Old
image.jpg

New
image.jpg

Much better
image.jpg

So much better! Looks smarter, and much clearer when reversing.
Simple but great improvement!
image.jpg

It's not a very exciting update I know, but update 2 is very exciting IMO.

All clean
image.jpg

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Update 2 of 2.

Now this update is more exciting. I had planned on getting xenons but however today I did. What a big improvement!
image.jpg

Ooo exciting. Those fried eggs bulbs though

New VS old. Pictures don't do it justice, obviously. As it's hard to photograph light but you get the idea.
image.jpg
image.jpg

So cool
image.jpg

I need to get new bulbs though, to match the LED colour. But thank god the yellow has gone!
image.jpg

So much clearer and better! Will get some new bulbs and update on here how they look! so pleased with them.

Sorry it's boring update but it's a update.
Forgot to mention; you'll also see I've made a wiper blank from the pictures above so no more half rear wiper
Hopefully I'll find some more little things to do on this to keep this thread ticking over. Thinking about fitting some sport pedals, thoughts on rubber vs metal pedals?

Thanks for looking, still enjoying the car

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Hahaha that's alright mate. I've gone off the idea of upgrading to a different Clio now anyway. Waste of time really, my heart is set on something with a lot more power haha.

How's the new whip going? Saw a black one on the chicken roundabout at Bungay on Friday, thought it was you! It wasn't though, different number plate. Look so nice though.

Looking at something with a 1.9 tdi lump in it. Won't be anytime soon though

Yeah it's still going well thanks mate really like it , but still find myself wanting another clio ahah been looking at the silver 172 replica in the forsale section :confused:
Mate of mine used to have a 1.9tdi seat , was a real nice car and went well too:up:

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's still going well thanks mate really like it , but still find myself wanting another clio ahah been looking at the silver 172 replica in the forsale section :confused:
Mate of mine used to have a 1.9tdi seat , was a real nice car and went well too:up:
I think they look really nice when moving, I'm sure you're Mr.Cool in it does It go better than the Clio or don't you see much in it? I think that's the problem with Clios. They are so driver concentrated cars. You feel so much more in control of a Clio compared to a newer car with all these safety features. Better cars no doubt, but driver experience is no where near as good. Gives you a thrill! Oh is that the dci replica?

Hmm I've looked into the 1.9 tdi engines a lot, so far that I've got all the costs of upgrading and what needs doing etc in my notes sad or what but I've got to make the most out of my money.
Hmm not sure yet, I want to get a car I can get a lot of power out over the years. Leon tdi stage 3 can make 0-60 in under 5 seconds with a stupid amount of torque but apparently they are boring cars in general no matter what the power. Decisions are difficult. Doesn't help that I'm indecisive

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
I think they look really nice when moving, I'm sure you're Mr.Cool in it does It go better than the Clio or don't you see much in it? I think that's the problem with Clios. They are so driver concentrated cars. You feel so much more in control of a Clio compared to a newer car with all these safety features. Better cars no doubt, but driver experience is no where near as good. Gives you a thrill! Oh is that the dci replica?

Hmm I've looked into the 1.9 tdi engines a lot, so far that I've got all the costs of upgrading and what needs doing etc in my notes sad or what but I've got to make the most out of my money.
Hmm not sure yet, I want to get a car I can get a lot of power out over the years. Leon tdi stage 3 can make 0-60 in under 5 seconds with a stupid amount of torque but apparently they are boring cars in general no matter what the power. Decisions are difficult. Doesn't help that I'm indecisive

Yeah it's not a bad car definitely quicker than the clio up to 70mph ,bit boat like though after having the clio what was on coilovers. Just liked my clio more for some reason I'm not sure why ahah

Yeah the tdi engines seem to have a lot of potential , when budgeting things always add a little exta onto every thing that way you know you can have it comfortabley and will alway have a little extra if something goes wrong.:up:

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's not a bad car definitely quicker than the clio up to 70mph ,bit boat like though after having the clio what was on coilovers. Just liked my clio more for some reason I'm not sure why ahah

Yeah the tdi engines seem to have a lot of potential , when budgeting things always add a little exta onto every thing that way you know you can have it comfortabley and will alway have a little extra if something goes wrong.:up:
Nice one! you'll have to get it lowered etc. do you plan on doing anything to it or just leave it standard?
yeah they do have a lot of potential. Great engines.

@Tomo_Rep.97 Did you ever manage to find what / where the thing underneath the headliner was / went?

Nope not a clue mate, was strange! threw it away in the end I think.

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Nice one! you'll have to get it lowered etc. do you plan on doing anything to it or just leave it standard?
yeah they do have a lot of potential. Great engines.

Yeah think I'm just going to keep it standard as don't plan on keeping it long to be honest.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Time for a quick update. Been a long time!
Treated myself too some of this, it's really really impressive stuff, but I haven't sorted the dilution yet, haven't measured anything yet! But it's so so impressive.
image.jpg

Brought some new Bosch Aerotwin Wipers as the old wipers were just awful and dangerous. But such an improvement and so much clearer now, I can see!!
image.jpg

Got a few goodies for Xmas too!
image.jpg

I've only tried the towel once so far, and tbh, it just left green fluffy everywhere? is this because of first time using the towel? Or likely because my car is really scratched and yeah, not a smooth surface?

however this was after I clayed one side of my car to try it out.
I'd like to find someone who's handy with a polishing machine near me, the paintwork on my car is awful, swirls & scratches everywhere!

Next thing is probably one of the best things I've ever done to my car, the dogbone mount on my car was literally useless, it had gotta so warn, gearstick moved all over the place! Was terrible. Gear changes were sloppy, clunky and horrible. Got to the point where it struggled to find reverse a lot of the time. So took this out, The bigger part of the rubber I pushed out with my hands, it was awful haha.

anyway, fitted the polybush dog bone mount, was pretty easy to knock old rubber out and fit the bushes. Sooooo much better. Drives so much better, Solid gear changes and the gearstick literally doesn't move at all! I'm very impressed and recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it.
image.jpg

Next one is pretty big, didn't expect myself to be doing this. I went and picked up some of these
image.jpg

Never have I seen wheels soooo dirty, can't tell from the pictures but they were filthy haha. on the inside of the wheel it was thick with sludge and brake dust, about 1-2cm!

Got them cleaned up and fitted on the car!
image.jpg

I'm so use to seeing black but I love them! Look great, needs to be lowered and spaced though. Dammit I knew getting turinis would make me spend more money!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sorry about the terrible photos
image.jpg
image.jpg

Surprised how well they cleaned up actually, better than I thought they would though. I think I'm going to refurb them though when the better weather arrives! thinking about Ford Graphite Grey!

As for lowering? eibach pros or sportline?

And thinking about getting 20mm spacers all round

Thoughts? really pleased with these. It's got me back into the Clio again now! Thanks for looking. Comments are appreciated or advice

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Good work Tom. Get it lowered and itl look good :smile:

Cheers Bud! Definitely needs to be lowered and spaced out, just so costly and rapidly adds up
image.jpg

The arch gap seems so much more noticeable now, despite them being 16' over the 15' black ones I had one, I think it's because of them being 45 tyres and the old ones being 55! sportline or pros do you reckon?
Or do I try find those cheaper amax springs or whatever they are?

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Looking lovely from the rear end! Makes me want tuninis to badly 😢

Any plans with the front end? Pearl black front ends come up often cheap enought :wink:

Haven't realised I didn't take a picture from the front, I will have to take a few! I know the feeling mate, seeing pictures made me want some for ages, such a relief if you get them

front end looks good tbh, because of the badge that looks awesome, had so many comments on that. and then because I've colour coded The strips too! Surprisingly they've stayed perfect condition, well pleased with them. Not sure how long I'm keeping the car tbh mate hence why I haven't done the front end yet!

Plus, you've seen them cheap? where?;) tell me where? how cheap is cheap?;)

Haven't realised I didn't take a picture from the front, I will have to take a few! I know the feeling mate, seeing pictures made me want some for ages, such a relief if you get them

front end looks good tbh, because of the badge that looks awesome, had so many comments on that. and then because I've colour coded The strips too! Surprisingly they've stayed perfect condition, well pleased with them. Not sure how long I'm keeping the car tbh mate hence why I haven't done the front end yet!

Plus, you've seen them cheap? where?:wink: tell me where? how cheap is cheap?:wink:

It wasn't long ago I saw a front end on csoc *cough cough* for £150.

If your still looking out for a DCI, get a black one and transfer all the parts. :up:

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted some spacers last week, 2 16mm's for the rear! It looks better but I think I want it wider!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Needs to be wider IMO, either tempted to go down the route of finding complete 1*2 rear beam so it'll be 20mm wider anyway and then get whatever spacers I find necessary... Or get some 25mm spacers and be done with it! Hmm decisions. Thinking 20mm front and 25mm rear!

Still needs to be lowered I know, I just can't get any crappy harsh ride cheap springs, but then I can't afford £180 for eibach ones. Frustrating