ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The boot floor of my car is MDF, surely it's just mine?

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Not the very bottom (obviously), but the bit covering the wheel well. I've always wondered this since I've had the car (3 years) and never thought to ask. It's nasty and now rotten as I have a small water leak behind the OS rear light cluster. I've taken it out of the car while I work out what to replace it with.

What is the floor supposed to be? Because I need to replace it or make something myself.

20130212_170756.jpg

I can only think that a previous owner just added the MDF to the carpet. But surely the Cup is not that budget that it has no proper boot floor!

P.S I'm going to fix the leak before putting anything in there to replace it.

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Probably just to add some strength to it, my old 172 the carpet dipped where the spare wheel was after some use

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Interesting.

I simply cannot believe Renault had MDF as a standard fit component in 2002/2003. Got to admire the sheer obnoxiousness of that!

Mk2 1.4 s
Not the very bottom (obviously), but the bit covering the wheel well. I've always wondered this since I've had the car (3 years) and never thought to ask. It's nasty and now rotten as I have a small water leak behind the OS rear light cluster. I've taken it out of the car while I work out what to replace it with.

What is the floor supposed to be? Because I need to replace it or make something myself.

20130212_170756.jpg

I can only think that a previous owner just added the MDF to the carpet. But surely the Cup is not that budget that it has no proper boot floor!

P.S I'm going to fix the leak before putting anything in there to replace it.

haha look feet :p

'53' clio 172 cup
i suppose mdf does save some weight over plastic like most other cars but is it really going to make that much difference? probably not.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
theplasticpeople.co.uk will do a 95x53mm, 6mm thick sheet of black polypropylene for £4.00.

I sized it to span the whole bit of carpet instead of just that side. Twice as dense as MDF so I'm adding weight, shocker ;)

MDF is still heavily used in cars. Leather clad centre consoles, armrests etc.

Anything specific? Because we don't use it where I work.

yep mine has it but the heap of s**t bowed in the meddle and now cracked, luckily found a 5th oz F1 in the boot of the ph1 i broke so hoyed that in the boot which means no more dip and can actually put stuff in the boot

172 Cup
My cup didn't have the MDF (previous owner removed it for watever reason) and anything you put in the boot would fall straight into the spare wheel well. So I bought some more MDF from B&Q, cheap fix, but it works, and you can't see it.

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
I've a full fat 172 with this boot carpet/floor. Doesn't sit well on the spare.

Its ten years old nearly so I guess its picked up a cup carpet somewhere along the way!