ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Clio Williams Thread...

535d / t5 caravelle
my old williams 3:

post-81-1138566705.jpg

post-81-1138565948.jpg

post-81-1138565705.jpg

post-81-1138565749.jpg

williams3jpgjpgjpgftfd.jpg

williams3.jpg

post-81-1138566070.jpg

535d / t5 caravelle
100% reliable...................................................

apart from the f**king gearbox.

*Must not abuse Ali's nailiams*

And lol at the picture of stromba on your mag pics 2live

No one wants to see the illiams lol but i will dig out the pics of 0407 after its resto in 2007

williams and trophy
*Must not abuse Ali's nailiams*

And lol at the picture of stromba on your mag pics 2live

No one wants to see the illiams lol but i will dig out the pics of 0407 after its resto in 2007

yeah they wanted an asw for the interview, and a genuine car for the pics.......go figure ;) lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Stomba! What a guy! I see a proper RS in your pic there jon! (Oulton)

Rust sums up the williams really.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
give me a brand new one and I could drive it hard for years but in a proper way while looking after the box, problem is (as you probably know bill!) previous owners, 7 people on the log book is a lot of different heads using the box/engine in a different way - in a perfect world we'd all buy cars and get a new box/engines in all of them!

williams and trophy
correct, as good as they are, rust WILL ALWAYS be an issue with them.

it is if you drive them how they are ment to be driven, ie. hard ;)

there not for polishing!

metal and rust.....will always be an issue. something you thought reno would have sorted out a bit better, but judging by all the newer cars rusting im not so sure. maybe they just got better at hiding it for a while ;)

mine are still on 3 out the 4 original arches, 2 of them showing no signs of the dreaded tinworm yet. not bad really for a 15 year old car.

hi, just wondering as im hopefully getting a williams in the next couple of days as an audi kindly completley wrote off the rear end of my car (1*2) so looking to replace it as i was going to get a 182 i thought to go for somthing a little mre fun, what are the main things besides rust that i aught to look out for when viewing one also common known faults and problems that might need to be seen to and replacing
i know there expensive but how expensive and hard are they to get parts for if ''certain'' things do need to be put right

thankyou..

ohhh and why on earth is insurance soo high?! i got quoted £1300 the cheapest but havnt rang direct to companys, im 21 with 2 years no claims.

hi, just wondering as im hopefully getting a williams in the next couple of days as an audi kindly completley wrote off the rear end of my car (1*2) so looking to replace it as i was going to get a 182 i thought to go for somthing a little mre fun, what are the main things besides rust that i aught to look out for when viewing one also common known faults and problems that might need to be seen to and replacing
i know there expensive but how expensive and hard are they to get parts for if ''certain'' things do need to be put right

thankyou..

ohhh and why on earth is insurance soo high?! i got quoted £1300 the cheapest but havnt rang direct to companys, im 21 with 2 years no claims.

any help please..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
any help please..

Rust rust and more rust. Check everywhere. I've seen so many that are just filler. Check the sills, the arches, the fuel filler, the bootlid, the doors... Just check as much as possible.

The steering column's wear but this is easily sorted with a welder.

Cambelt/Alternator/Clutch are all labour intensive jobs so make sure theres history of them being done. Allow a price reduction if not.

Make sure the car actually has a 2.0 engine in it! (Check engine numbers tie up with logbook) I've seen two now with the valver 1.8's in them as a cheap replacement because the Willy engine blew up.

Rear discs rust heavily because they aren't used much but are cheap enough to replace.

Just do general checks mate. The same as you'd do with any car really.

williams and trophy
Rust rust and more rust. Check everywhere. I've seen so many that are just filler. Check the sills, the arches, the fuel filler, the bootlid, the doors... Just check as much as possible.

The steering column's wear but this is easily sorted with a welder.

Cambelt/Alternator/Clutch are all labour intensive jobs so make sure theres history of them being done. Allow a price reduction if not.

Make sure the car actually has a 2.0 engine in it! (Check engine numbers tie up with logbook) I've seen two now with the valver 1.8's in them as a cheap replacement because the Willy engine blew up.

Rear discs rust heavily because they aren't used much but are cheap enough to replace.

Just do general checks mate. The same as you'd do with any car really.

and whatever you do..........dont buy one that has a hole in the roof......itl leak and rot the car from the inside.

as above really, pas pumps are generally a little noisy, so if the 1 u look at has a noisy one, its no biggie. most things only take a couple hours to do on the car, clutch, 2 hours, cambelt, 1 1/2 hours, water pump 1 hour etc etc . so again, no real biggie.

id say best thing is to make sure the bodywork is all ok, mechanical bits are easy enough to sort. and if your willing to get your hands dirty they arent anywhere near as bad to work on as most ppl will have you believe. bits can be expensive, but as with all things limited, thats to be expected, and they do share quite a lot of components with other cars, the valver for quite a lot, cit/pugs etc have same discs/calipers so again, interchangeable bits.

my advice tho would be to take someone who knows the cars with you when you look at 1. then at least u can blame them if it turns out to be a shed........if only ali had listened, instead he slated the williams for him buying a real shitbox.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
2live, you can do a clutch on 1 in 2 hours and a cambelt in 1 1/2 hours, would like to see this done

williams and trophy
yeah fairly easily mate tbh. head gasket in just over an hour too. plenty of ppl have seen me do this..last one i did was gunners actually. would be able to do em quicker with a ramp etc, these times are all on the back street.

535d / t5 caravelle
give me a brand new one and I could drive it hard for years but in a proper way while looking after the box, problem is (as you probably know bill!) previous owners, 7 people on the log book is a lot of different heads using the box/engine in a different way - in a perfect world we'd all buy cars and get a new box/engines in all of them!

true mate, but i always wondered when will my gearbox go...................again lol

metal and rust.....will always be an issue. something you thought reno would have sorted out a bit better, but judging by all the newer cars rusting im not so sure. maybe they just got better at hiding it for a while ;)

mine are still on 3 out the 4 original arches, 2 of them showing no signs of the dreaded tinworm yet. not bad really for a 15 year old car.

thats good going, see if its same after winter ;) lol

535d / t5 caravelle

thankyou..

regarding insurance, that was one of the reasons i finally gave up on my williams, i could insure a £10k slightly modded mk1 focus rs for £435 comared with £7/800 on the standard williams worth 2k, yeah right! this added to the impossible rust issues which came back within 3 days of the bodyshop sorting mt arches, :rolleyes: and always worrying about the gearbox, enough was enough, insured my well modded mr2 turbo for £500 notes, agreed value etc etc..........................................enough said

but i will always miss throwing a mk1 clio about :( one day i would love to return to one as a track weapon!

williams and trophy
group 17 will do that mate. not cheap.............but worth evry penny. ;)

btw...mine are fully comp..£340 .......guess thats what being old does for ya lol.

williams and trophy
you've obviously got a good one mate, keep hold of the fooker!

i think its about 1 of the very very few that havent succumbed to the dreaded tinworm...........unfortunatey the other one doesnt have the same braggin rights.....its had 1 arch done.

is 0159 the only 1 thats had no bodywork done at all in its near 100k life?? and keep hold of it.........u try prise it from me lol.

535d / t5 caravelle
group 17 will do that mate. not cheap.............but worth evry penny. ;)

btw...mine are fully comp..£340 .......guess thats what being old does for ya lol.

i'm 33 mate, and was 32 when getting the quotes, how old are you? think i might be older young man!? dont think bb post code does me any favours, but then it was ok for the rs and tubby..........

i think its about 1 of the very very few that havent succumbed to the dreaded tinworm...........unfortunatey the other one doesnt have the same braggin rights.....its had 1 arch done.

is 0159 the only 1 thats had no bodywork done at all in its near 100k life?? and keep hold of it.........u try prise it from me lol.

aye, remember reading about your bragging rights somewhere on williamsclio lol

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Bill thats a lot matey - especially being local to me - I'm 27 and was paying £400 for the willy 2, the 172's costing me more at the moment! but thats because I moved postcodes..

williams and trophy
i'm 33 mate, and was 32 when getting the quotes, how old are you? think i might be older young man!? dont think bb post code does me any favours, but then it was ok for the rs and tubby..........

well lets just say i was only a bit younger than you are now when i got mine......lol nigh on 8 years later, its still in my possession. ;)

the ol14 postcode doesnt do any favours either....think even when i was less than 30 i was only paying £500 odd fully comp. but then i have had full ncb for all that time pretty much too.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
ahhh Mr. Wobbanory has found this thread & graced it with his spangly,shiney wheels :rasp:

williams and trophy
3 x 1s in the workshop ;)

fonepix013.jpg

my 2

28092006047.jpg

side exit and stripped. ready for new metal in the arch nearly.

11122006088.jpg

old arch...or rusty bit of it lol

08012007097.jpg

new 1

07102006053.jpg

the clean 1 with cup rims on ;)

11122006087.jpg

couple on track

RenaultsportOultonPark013-vi.jpg

RenaultsportOultonPark026-vi.jpg

RenaultsportOultonPark037-vi.jpg

and being voted 'ultimate clio' by the journalistic press :p