ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The cost of a Yottabyte

E87 118d M Sport
A yottabyte is one quadrillion gigabytes (or 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes). Fancy buying one?

lv9zq_01.jpg

But then when you think the combined space of all the computer hard drives in the entire world does not amount to even one yottabyte, I'm not suprised. Oh, and the WORLDS GDP is only $61 trillion a year

Last edited:

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I'm sure we will be seeing these in the future! It's crazy to think how much these things have been devoloped in the past ten years.

It was only a few years ago I remember USB pens started to be released - I think my first one was 32mb!

Same goes for Compact Flash cards, when I first started my digital photography, a 128mb card cost the same as a 2GB does today! Crazy.

Clio 182
Very interesting. Bit of a strange fact but I remember my first computer HDD has 90mb and I bought prince of persia which came on 4 floppy discs. Recently i bought a pc game which required 20gb of free HDD space

DMS

A thirsty 172
Very interesting. Bit of a strange fact but I remember my first computer HDD has 90mb and I bought prince of persia which came on 4 floppy discs. Recently i bought a pc game which required 20gb of free HDD space

Spectrum FTW. 64kb tapes, and that's using both sides :cool:

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
When I was in High School in 1994 they bought a new set of PC's for the IT dept. 486DX2's. I think they were like 25MHz or 50MHz PC's :S There was a central hard drive that every student had 1MB of space on, in total it was 1GB and cost over £1000. It was also about the size of 4 hard drives today. There was only 1 CD ROM drive that everyone had access to and there were only 2 discs for it. 1 years worth of the Guardian newspaper from 1993 and the Encyclopaedia Britannica. Just what every 14 year old wants to read ;)

Cupra
10MB for $3398 back in the day:

advert11202020090111215jl2.jpg

Our data centre has a couple of bits of old hardware on window sills etc. The size and weight of the old hard drives is mental.

182FF with cup packs
I'm so old I actually remember using 8" floppy discs.

We used to use 23 of them to back up the IBM System/36 where I worked.

My first hard drive at home was a massive 40MB, helpfully partitioned into 2 20mb partitions.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Would be surprised if the NSA aren't planning on that level of storage in the relatively near future!

1.5dci
Spectrum FTW. 64kb tapes, and that's using both sides :cool:

Still got a spectrum under the bed, unfortunately not mine, wasn't born when it was bought! It's great though, ZX-81 too, all most of the accessories.

1.5dci
I think it was the ZX+2 I had. I was a long time ago :(

Ah nice, mines just a 16k original, almost bought a ZX+ earlier in the year, but didn't, wasn't much point.
Before I met my OH he developed a USB interface card for them, so with one of those, and burning all the tapes to file on a usb I can run them without the tape deck, which is quite kwl, Really need to get it out again and have a play, got a light pen somewhere and the external keyboard