ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Harbour at night

Went for a walk down through the harbour last night, tried a few shots hand held but even at f1.4 there was not enough light for decent shots, so I used a few walls and set the shutter to 20 and 25 seconds (my first time at trying this). The street light was hand held though.

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not a bad price is it near a good part of town for shops and bars ect...?
gorgeous pics mate

If you don't mind I've had a go at altering the white balance as they seem quite off.

I prefer the originals 100%, far more natural looking, the UK is bathed in yellow light at night, I don't see why we should feel the need to hide it.

Anyhow, nice shots JJ, as somebody who shoots exclusively by balancing his camera anywhere he can find at night, I have a lot of time for these photos!

I think the first two could have done with a slightly longer expsoure, but the third is spot on.

2014 Focus Titanium
I prefer the originals 100%, far more natural looking, the UK is bathed in yellow light at night, I don't see why we should feel the need to hide it.

Anyhow, nice shots JJ, as somebody who shoots exclusively by balancing his camera anywhere he can find at night, I have a lot of time for these photos!

I think the first two could have done with a slightly longer expsoure, but the third is spot on.

It's all about preference, I do agree the yellow look gives it a certain "english" appeal and the blue look gives it a bit more of a "french or italian" modern look. But on the other hand, the yellowish-ness makes it just look like a snapshot taken with a P&S to me. All imo of course, no one is right or wrong here!

3rd one was 20 seconds, others were 25! Prefer the originals too. The misses was asking why I had to wait so long for the camera to take the shot so had to try and explain lol.

Going to go back again soon and explore more wall situations as don't want to be lugging a tripod around at night down there!

Meg 250/E36 Touring
  Meg 250/E36 Touring
  RB 182 FF
I rent on the Harbour (without views) and the build quality is very questionable!

Indeed, depends on where abouts you are on the harbour but some of them are a bit suspect, which part are you in?

You want to try selling flats in Eastbourne harbour though, there is so much choice that is near on impossible selling anything down there, especially in this market, and i'm an estate agent in Eastbourne!!

Yer, that flat was £186k 18 months ago!

That's the problem a lot of developers bought off-plan in bulk and then tried to sell them for vastly inflated prices, which has led to the problem down there. It's a shame because it's a lovely place to live. I quite often go down for a drink in the evening, especially when the sun is shining which to be fair hasn't been that often lol.

South Harbour - Monserrat Villas, ours is ok, but the flats either end of the water feature have had major problems!

RS 172
Nice shots dude!! Haven't been down that way in ages, i might have to go down there for a drink some time soon!!

Going to go back to the Street Light and get the misses under it for some moody shots (not hard for her!)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
nice pics mate - wish i could get chance to try some longer expose shots, theres just nothing interesting to take pics of where i live :(

VaVa
I love long exposures. More margin for error too.

I think your exposures are pretty good tbh, but the composition lets them down slightly. Although considering you were having to sit the camera on walls and stuff they're pretty good!

I think this looks better with the railing cropped out of it. Again it's totally personal preference. No right or wrong!

Untitled-1-3.gif

"Navy" N17 TWO
What settings did you use JJ? Those look really good

I cannot get my night shots right at all :(

Tigger, camera was on wall (or use tripod lol), was on 10 second timer as I forgot the remote! Set to shutter priority and set to 20-25 seconds.

"Navy" N17 TWO
What about things like the Aperture, WB & Metering settings etc?
I'm getting it all blurred, even on the bloody tripod + remote lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
Spent most of today playing with more settings on the camera, getting there - I think lol :)

It's knowing what setting to use for each shot you want that's the hardest part - so many on these cameras!