ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Lowwwwwww Ph2 - Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I may aswell start a project thread as alot changes on my car, and I get quite a few pm's asking the same questions alot of the time, so hopefully having most of the info here will help people :)

I bought the car in March 2006, 54Plate 1.2 16v Dynamique...

clio.gif

Photo-0037.gif

First few mods were RS Grille, aftermarket headunit, Tints etc.... Although the first big mod was in October 06 when I bought some FK Highsport Coilovers. edde kindly fitted them for me. Also picked up some 16" OZ Superleggeras from eBay for £150. This was the day after:

PA200079.jpg

PA200078.jpg

PA200076.jpg

Next I bought an Oval Magnex system from a member on the forum...

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

Shortly after I went on my first ClioSport meet, in South Yorkshire, on a Strines Run...

IMG_0100.jpg

0133.jpg

0134.jpg

Next i decided to ditch the Magnex Oval backbox, and replace it with a Magnex Twin. The problem was, this was from a 172, so I had a custom center section made so it was the right size for the cat on the engine, and wider for the joint onto the backbox. I also fancied a change, and put the original 15" Dynamique wheels back on.

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

I ended up hating the look of the tints on the car, so ripped them out, and I had also got bored of the height of the car, and wanted to go lower, so took the adjusting rings out of the rear axle to get a few more millimeters, also put the Superleggeras back on...

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Middo painted me some custom badges, color coded to the car with silver writing :)

IMG_0011a.gif

So i decided to DIY color code my side strips, they came out pretty well!

IMG_0013.gif

IMG_0012.gif

IMG_0016.gif

Another month went by and I got bored of the height yet again, but why shouldnt I make full use of the coilovers? So I went lower LOL...

IMG_0125.jpg

To:

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

I bought a set of Xenons Headlights from Matt Black, fitted them, and then went for a drive...(Had to throw these pics in lol, its part of the car)

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Next I bought a 172 back bumper from a member on the forum, had it sprayed, and fitted it :)

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Took my Superleggeras off and sent them to Lap-Tab in Birmingham for a refurb, so I went back to the 15's for a short while again...

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Time was close to FCS, so I started tidying the car up, getting dents removed, painting the drums:

DSC_0069.jpg

Fitting Strut Brace:

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

Took a trip to ProSpeed in Cardiff, 400 Mile round trip, for a custom Cat-Back exhaust. Decided to have it cut into the bumper, 3" Slash Cut...

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0011.gif

Also picked up my newly refurbished wheels on the way back from Cardiff:

DSC_0029.gif

Video of the Pro-Speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWZZiL7muE

Ready for FCS...

DSC_0240.gif

Just after FCS, I put a RS Steering Wheel on, and saw a pair of sparco bucket seats on eBay for cheap, decided to get them and strip the car out.

DSC_0952.gif

Removed all the back seats and carpet. First of all i was going to go with some Cobra Extra Low Subframes, but I found out quite a bit of modification was needed to make the Sparco sidemounts fit, so I decided to get some custom subframes fabricated.

DSC_0010.gif

DSC_0023.gif

DSC_0024.gif

DSC_0030.gif

DSC_0031.gif

Resistors in the airbag connectors...

DSC_0028.gif

Drivers seat in...

DSC_0033.gif

Both Seats In, Harnesses fitted, and original belts removed...

DSC_0061-1.gif

DSC_0090.jpg

The car had been crashed into by someone earlier in the year, and repaired by their insurance, but around this time I got hit by a parcel force van, and they drove off. I was left to sort the damage myself, basically needed a new rear light and 172 bumper as it was cracked. I sourced one, and arranged to get it sprayed, along with my sidestrips from the doors as they needed re-doing...

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

In the meantime, I lowered the front of the car more, color coded my own front bumper inserts, removed the megane splitter that had become so common, painted the bare metal gloss back in the rear of the car, and put a 3/4 front plate on.

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

A few days later, I got my new bumper and sidestrips back after a lengthy delay, which was a long story. They turned out to be the complete wrong color, so they were sent back to be resprayed...

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

After lowering the front of the car more, and realising that the rear would not go any lower without custom springs, I had a set made. To put it in comparison, on the left is the FK coilover spring, in the middle is the custom spring, and on the right is the standard clio spring...

DSC_0341.jpg

This resulted in the back of the car going lower, but not low enough for my liking, as there was still too much of a 'nose down' stance...

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

So I scrapped those springs, and had a second custom set made, to take it even lower...

DSC_0234.jpg

Yet another comparison, on the left, Standard Clio Spring, in the middle, FK Coilover Kit Spring, on the right, Custom Spring....

DSC_0237.jpg

This took it to a height of my liking, the sills were pretty much level which is what I was aiming for :)

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

I was still being messed around with my sidestrips and new rear bumper, so just got on with other things that needed doing. Put the standard airbox back on for a change, sold the Viper I had, replaced the rear cracked light and tidied up a few other things.

Next i had a mess around with another set of custom springs, but it went silly low and was undrivable to be honest...

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

So back to a 'normal' height it was :)

2224106328_f14fd0fc62_o.gif

MOT time was fast approaching, and nowhere would test it with it rubbing on full lock, so I had to raise the car up 50mm :(

IMG_00251.gif

IMG_00271.gif

Passed first time :) So back down it went... A Day later i was told my sidestrips and bumper were ready (5 Months after giving them to be done)...so went and got those back :)

IMG_00291.gif

IMG_00281.gif

Fitted the Side Strips + Color Coded Handles...

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Although, in all honesty the color still wasnt a match. It looked ok against the paint, but the two parts of the sidestrips didnt match...

IMG_00571.gif

Also, I noticed the bumper had a crease in it, after me being sold it in mint condition, I was fuming to say the least, 5 months wait and I get things that are the wrong color and damaged, FFS!

IMG_00591.gif

IMG_00611.gif

So I got a recommendation from a mate to get everything resprayed, so I took the front strips off (badly stonechipped, and the sidestrips to get resprayed...I left the handles as I was happy with the match :)

IMG_0201.gif

Looking pretty sorry for itself, well I suppose its used to it after this long!

Got a whole pile of stuff waiting to go on the car now....

172 Brakes, custom brackets are currently being made...

IMG_02021.gif

An alarm from a 172...What fun this will be to fit...

IMG_00581.gif

Rear Strut Brace/Harness Bar, currently being powdercoated, and RenaultSport sill strips...

IMG_00301.gif

More to come soon...........

maybe smoothed 1.2 bumper, dont want to go down the rep route really....if i did front bumper id have to do it properly and do wings and skirts too

White R26/Stripped Valver
All that pain and anguish was worth it in the end lol

Lovely car, keep up the good work.

because im only 18 :p well 19 in 10 days....plus its going to be converted before FCS, so technically it will be a 172.........i could have bought one, but thats no fun, and you only live once ;)

Ultra Red Clio 197
What an interesting read! thanks! good videos too! Im colour coding my front bumper at the mo! What a b**ch it was earlier today to get the centre part under the number plate off! If theres an easy way I dont know about it but those clips are a pain to get at! better be dry tomorrow so that I can paint!

Anyway, good work, look forward to seeing more!

i was just really rough with pulling them off to be honest, it takes alot to break them i think, i was pulling them very very hard from one side and they all came out :)

Ultra Red Clio 197
i was just really rough with pulling them off to be honest, it takes alot to break them i think, i was pulling them very very hard from one side and they all came out :)

Thats what I did with the side ones, but the centre one was clipped in from all angles, took me ages, and trying to do it with numb fingers because of the cold outside didnt help! lol.. Did you smooth them down first before priming and painting?

yeah with a black and decker sanding mouse thing, so much easier than wet and dry, then used alot of high build primer over a few days so it fully settled, then paint, then laquer

Missed out something in my last post, finally got round to spraying all the interior bits and bobs, and re-doing the stonechipped from badge :)

IMG_0006.gif

IMG_0004.gif

IMG_0003.gif

330i. E30 Touring.
One of the best on here. 172 conversion will be awesome. I take it rear disks will be on the list?

200sx S14a
Nice project. Have you got anymore pics of the stipped out rear? I was thinking of doing mine gloss black.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I like it...but is it really worth it considering soon you'll want more power!!

Suppose you could do the engine conversion aswell...But it makes it a very unsellable car after that.

Preferred it slightly raised as opposed to the decked out broken spring look.

Top marks for effort! :)

is dirty.
Awesome thread, this car has seen a hell of a lot of places!
Keep up the good work with the car, hope the conversion all goes well!

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
excellent thread, didn't realise you'd put that much work into it! think you should possibly go for some spacers on the wheels to push them out a little bit though...

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
excellent thread, didn't realise you'd put that much work into it! think you should possibly go for some spacers on the wheels to push them out a little bit though...

how can he, there is a arch in the way lol

love it foxy

Chocolate Bar™
maybe smoothed 1.2 bumper, dont want to go down the rep route really....if i did front bumper id have to do it properly and do wings and skirts too

good lad, dont go down the rep route! Cars looking stonking one of my fav cars on the site. Cant wait to have a butchers on saturday :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

good lad, dont go down the rep route! Cars looking stonking one of my fav cars on the site. Cant wait to have a butchers on saturday :D

i'll be there too lad... WITH CENTRE CAPS!!! :cool: ;)

Jord's giving me a lift as my car's in the bodyshop being perfected. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.