ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I was going to make one just for me but I thought it wasn't a bad idea to keep updating the thread with new phones.

Now we have:

Z2 - S5- M8 - iPhone6 (soon) - Note4 (soon) - Nexus (is the 5 the latest? Due a 6 soon?) and some LG model.

What have you got? I'm due an upgrade at the end of September and will 99% be moving away from Apple for the first time in 3 phones.

I had a play with the Z2, lovely design, camera and interface was nice. I did however feel the touch wasn't as responsive as the S5 or M8? Anyone agree.

Oh and I never considered a Note before but I had a play with a 3 and the guy was saying how the store was looking forward to the 4 coming out as it'll have the perks of the S5 plus extras. It is a tad large though. The S5 screen is bang on size wise what i'm looking for.

:)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Z3 is due doon.

S5 is still garbage, M8 still the winner for me, despite the hideous camera.

LG G3 is worth a look and Obviously the iPhone 6 will just wipe the floor with everything.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'm currently rocking a i5. Due an upgrade around the same time as yourself.

Likely get the i6. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the Z2 was released not long ago. I'm put of the S5 as it's almost old hat by the time I upgrade. And it's basic materials wise.

Tom whilst I agree, I simply cannot see me going Apple again phone wise. They're just so locked down for a simpleton like me.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I thought the Z2 was released not long ago. I'm put of the S5 as it's almost old hat by the time I upgrade. And it's basic materials wise.

Tom whilst I agree, I simply cannot see me going Apple again phone wise. They're just so locked down for a simpleton like me.

Welcome to the world of Android phones, its old hat in less than 6 months. (unless you get a nexus, those tend to last longer)

Locked down how?

Clio 172
im in the same boat as you gally. My contract ends in around 40 days and im really tempted to walk away from Apple. I love my iPhone 5 and couldn't wait to go and get it on release date, but now having had a play with several other devices, I cant see why I am paying nearly twice as much as the rest of the market!

I can get the LG G3 for around £18 less a month and its a brilliant device! I remember when the G2 came out I really regretted getting the iPhone 5 after having a bit of use from my mates. I have also considered the Nexus, I fancied the Nexus 5 but was told that its made by LG for Google and isnt as good as the flagship G2. Its a speced down version they make for Google. Im not 100% sure who is making the next Nexus, but again, if it's LG, you can bet the LG G3 is going to be a better device!

The S5 is good, my girlfriend has just got one and two of my mates have also got one. Its a bit on the large side for me though, the iPhone 5 is the perfect phone size in my opinion, you want a bigger screen, get a tablet!! The camera on the S5 is unbelievable, it films in 4K HD and the quality of the photos it produces is comparable to my Canon G10 compact. (I need a new compact!!!)

Im going to go onto Sim Only until the new iPhone 6 is out and then check prices and specs, but there is a good chance im going to look at something like the LG G3 on a "refresh" contract with O2 or similar where i can get a new phone every 12 months and walk away from the iPhone brand for a year or two!

Jack

iPhone 6 for me, although I'm still waiting on pics from Eugene showing all these phones have completely borderless screens.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome to the world of Android phones, its old hat in less than 6 months. (unless you get a nexus, those tend to last longer)

Locked down how?

New nexus out soon?

Locked down, no real freedom to change things imo. No expandable memory, cannot download free to the phone, harder to put stuff on my phone from free downloads on the laptop. As I said i'm a simpleton, all thise handbrake crap etc is no good to me. Even a simple app like Showbox my missus has, she can watch shows/films within seconds.

Those are basics but it's a linear phone in comparison to others.

Got an S4, but if I was looking for a new phone it'd be the M8 - hear so many good things about it, and also seems to poor build quality that HTC produced a few years back has been removed too.

My S4 is s**t imo, always having issues, whether its crashing apps (not necessarily the phones fault), to utterly dog turd battery life (already on official replacement battery as other one was ready to combust).

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I love my HTC One M8 - it's easily my favourite.

Even the wife loved it and she usually doesn't give a s**t about phones! She liked it that much she got a HTC One Mini 2 for herself. That's a great phone too if anyones looking.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
New nexus out soon?

Locked down, no real freedom to change things imo. No expandable memory, cannot download free to the phone, harder to put stuff on my phone from free downloads on the laptop. As I said i'm a simpleton, all thise handbrake crap etc is no good to me. Even a simple app like Showbox my missus has, she can watch shows/films within seconds.

Those are basics but it's a linear phone in comparison to others.

Thought it might be a pikey esque "i want free things" reasoning.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Has the M8 been out for a while now? I do love the current market of smart phones. Lovely designs and shapes that appeal to me.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Takes no longer than any other device. You just need to learn how to do it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've never paid for any music on my iPhone, takes no real extra time to download, add to itunes library, onto phone. As for films, who the f**k watches films on their phone? iPad, maybe, but phone?

I'll be getting the iPhone 6 for sure. Just lost my company 5s, so I feel a little lost with just my iPhone 5. It's just not as good.

People consistently comment about android being less locked down, then you ask "what do you use your phone for" and get back, you know, calls, texts, games and browsing... oh...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Anyway back to the actual phones...

Yeah because you'll get away with changing the subject on here.

Just admit you are poor, i'll take pity on you and recommend a moto G on tesco mobile

Oh and just to see if i was correct I just uploaded a video wirelessly to the VLC app on my phone using nothing but a web browser and dragging and dropping. Took about 30 seconds.
Although i usually use plex at home.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah because you'll get away with changing the subject on here.

Just admit you are poor, i'll take pity on you and recommend a moto G on tesco mobile

Oh and just to see if i was correct I just uploaded a video wirelessly to the VLC app on my phone using nothing but a web browser and dragging and dropping. Took about 30 seconds.
Although i usually use plex at home.

That last bit means nothing to me.

Flol at being poor! I actually really like my iPad, it's by far the best tablet i've used. Just not sure i'm feeling the phone anymore. Maybe I just want a change!

I'll probably end up with the f**king 6 because i'm a slave to the man and it will look stunning!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL and you think android is for you if you cant deal with a simple thing like that? No.

Maybe you should get a windows phone?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Photo, video, music, document, app sync accross my iPad/phone with perfect compatibility,
iTunes Match means I can take my 90GB music library anywhere,
Effortless operation

I'll be continuing with Apple. It makes more sense when you have 2+ Apple devices.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Photo, video, music, document, app sync accross my iPad/phone with perfect compatibility,
iTunes Match means I can take my 90GB music library anywhere,
Effortless operation

I'll be continuing with Apple. It makes more sense when you have 2+ Apple devices.

Here's a man who knows what he wants. iTunes match is a bit overkill. I tend to use spotify and google play music if i desperately need my library.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Do people still buy music? (we use Spotify & Google All Access)

Anyway, a summary:

Apple continued with their "head in the sand - our way is the right way approach".

Forstall got pushed.

Apple have since then actually listenened (or observed) and have added stuff that needed to be added to iOS 3 or 4 releases ago.

The 5s hardware (excluding screen) pisses over the competition and still does nearly a year after launch.

The 6 if it has a decent sized screen will be a killer.

Even if it doesn't, they'll shell s**t loads, it'll be their biggest seller ever.

Samsung still don't know how to make a premium feeling phone.

The Phone wars will still continue.

If the six has got a bigger screen then with the changes (particularly widgets and inter-app comms) that they've made to iOS I may well end up with one.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I have no idea about phones really I have an old skool 3GS on 3.1.3 lol! I also have a blackberry for work (which I hate) I now have the oppertunity to combine my personal phone for work so was looking to upgrade to an iPhone 4S or 5 or I seen an advert last night for the Nokia Lumia - any suggestions? I'd imagine iPhone will win

Rav4
M8 is nice high quality phone. If I wanted an android handset, that would be my choice.

This too. M8's are brilliant.

Second up for me would be the G3, haven't tested one, but the G2's were great.

Samsung S5, don't like the bloatware/OS on it.

Alternatively if you want iOS, wait for the iPhone 6.

2014 Focus Titanium
I'd wait for the Nexus 6 (or whatever it may be called) or go with a One M8. I use my mum and dad's iPhones a lot (cos they're tards and always ask me to do stuff) and I just find them infuriating! It's the little things like the app drawer and in-app settings in Android that just make it awesome. That and the bigger, sharper screen, widgets (do iphones now have these someone said above?), Adobe flash player (yes it's old and s**t, but it's nice to have for the odd times it's needed!), NFC, Google Now, etc.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
This too. M8's are brilliant.

Second up for me would be the G3, haven't tested one, but the G2's were great.

Samsung S5, don't like the bloatware/OS on it.

Alternatively if you want iOS, wait for the iPhone 6.

One tech website rated the LG3 no.1 and the LG2 no.4. Not bad recommendation. I couldn't own one though.

I'll need to have a longer play with an M8 and the others.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
iPhone still need can't change from standard ringtones lol. Without pissing about.