ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm a back up guy I actually use my note 10+ as an exact replica of my phone essentially. Even if it was just my gallery. I can't handle Google photos. I need folders and my gallery. I use it a lot!

I'm going to back it up the images properly to my work server and t7 storage. Then the Google account should take care of the rest, call logs, texts back to 2011 etc.

So it's less about the switching and more about should the worst happen how do I replicate my phone exactly on the next one.

I understand I'm a bit mental. It's probably just my gallery in fairness and that's easy to back up file wise. I just want a version of iTunes where it saves the phone and if I lost my phone I could just download the perfect replica.

997.1, Caddy, e208
I backed up my s23 expecting the switch to only do half.

It smart switched it all over, it's all physical files on my phone, I didn't have to touch my backup

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the switch has always worked perfectly. Same even to iPhone which I've used at work on and off. Works perfect.

997.1, Caddy, e208
Moving from oneplus to Samsung wasn't so seamless, nor iPhone to s23u.

My photos are no longer geotagged

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah okay. For most people it's an easy transition. The password thing can be a pain but aren't they always! I use a lot of web ones rather than downloading loads of apps so Google password manager is easier.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Got my black S24 Ultra yesterday along with the watch too. My previous phone was a galaxy S8 so was thinking it would be a big upgrade. Nothing on the S24U stands out as being much better but time will tell I guess. The S24 Ultra is absolutely massive, way too big to hold properly and when you are used to a normal phone size its a bit annoying. Its really heavy and thick too. Hopefully you get used to the size of the thing. Makes me miss the good old days of phones the size of a blackberry.

My data transfer was alright. I had backed up whatsapp the day before as I knew that would be separate. All apps transferred, all data apart from SD card on the S8 came across. Banking apps and MFA apps needed a lot of setting up again though which is expected.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Got my black S24 Ultra yesterday along with the watch too. My previous phone was a galaxy S8 so was thinking it would be a big upgrade. Nothing on the S24U stands out as being much better but time will tell I guess. The S24 Ultra is absolutely massive, way too big to hold properly and when you are used to a normal phone size its a bit annoying. Its really heavy and thick too. Hopefully you get used to the size of the thing. Makes me miss the good old days of phones the size of a blackberry.

My data transfer was alright. I had backed up whatsapp the day before as I knew that would be separate. All apps transferred, all data apart from SD card on the S8 came across. Banking apps and MFA apps needed a lot of setting up again though which is expected.
You didn't notice a difference from an S8... Really?

Did you consider the size? Or go to a shop to handle an s23u. The size difference is monumental even from my note 10!

My SD card transferred over onto my on board storage memory from my note 10+ to s22u so that's weird.

Fiesta ST-2
I had an S21 for awhile riding out a £10 a month sim, waiting for a new phone to switch to. Passed on the Pixel 8 and then held out for the S24's. I really wanted to get the S24U, but after trying the S23U, just couldn't get on with the size. In the end, I got the S23+ for a good price - didn't seem like much of a jump between the S24+ and no snapdragon processor. Really happy with it so far, size is just right!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I had an S21 for awhile riding out a £10 a month sim, waiting for a new phone to switch to. Passed on the Pixel 8 and then held out for the S24's. I really wanted to get the S24U, but after trying the S23U, just couldn't get on with the size. In the end, I got the S23+ for a good price - didn't seem like much of a jump between the S24+ and no snapdragon processor. Really happy with it so far, size is just right!
Good choice. I forgot about the Snapdragon chip. I love the smaller s23 aswell one of the best phones I've ever held in hand. The plus is a nice size and great screen. Bit more battery. Good phone.

Is it more shape rather than size between plus and ultra? 6.7 rounded to 6.8 square?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
@Oggy997 Did I see you post something about getting a phone, network free the other day? I was going to let my colleague borow an old phone whilst hers is repaired but it seems to be locked!

Just to see a quick way around it! Pain in the erse!

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Any good?
It was good, but I wish I'd bought whatever the latest Samsung was instead. Camera can produce great results, but is far more of a hassle to navigate. Much prefer the point and shoot approach of other flagships.

Other than that I didn't have any issues regarding performance or battery life. Mine had a headphone jack which at the time I viewed as very important, which I now regard as a waste of time thanks to the awesome wireless noise cancelling headphones they bundled with the phone 🤣

They're solid phones but they're overpriced and they don't hold their value at all.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Cheers. Yeah I’ve noticed that with regards used vs new. Only really Samsung or Apple that have used car second hand values.

Fiesta ST-2
Good choice. I forgot about the Snapdragon chip. I love the smaller s23 aswell one of the best phones I've ever held in hand. The plus is a nice size and great screen. Bit more battery. Good phone.

Is it more shape rather than size between plus and ultra? 6.7 rounded to 6.8 square?
The ultra is about 6cm taller and 2cm wider than the plus, the extra just makes it less 'one hand' friendly I feel.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Maybe a touch over my £300 max budget. Any other of their line up worth looking at.

Will keep and eye on prices though

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Maybe a touch over my £300 max budget. Any other of their line up worth looking at.

Will keep and eye on prices though

Have a look at backmarket

The V is out now, so not sure if the IV has dropped. The Xperia 5 is still a great phone, just doesn't have the DSLR type camera function, I don't think

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's bigger. Few improvements. Do you want a bigger phone?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
The wife received her S24 ultra yesterday
Earlier than the delivery date by a week.
Can't complain. She's set it up tonight too

Just need to flog the watch now if anyones interested

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cracking choice. I'm currently finding a £100 android phone. Not too old that can take an SD card! Love the research. Currently got my eye on an eBay Poco c65!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
1000026726.jpg

1000026730.jpg

1tb titanium goodness! Love the screen. Decided to go with the stock launcher. Nova doesn't play aswell with one ui 6 for some reason.

Managed to get it pretty much the same.

1000040361.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
1000040373.jpg

Needs just a tad more customisation maybe. Those big icons are currently giving me some fear. I'll get over it.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
View attachment 1678917

Needs just a tad more customisation maybe. Those big icons are currently giving me some fear. I'll get over it.
Get over it you Nerd
It looks fine 🤣
This is what mine looks like if it makes you feel better

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_091756_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_091756_One UI Home.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41