ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Quite a lot of bezel for 2017!
And camera looks like it’s straight off an iPhone 8 Plus, but I do like OnePlus and you can’t sniff at that value.
They’ll have some fans as it’s still got a headphone jack, but I wonder how the face unlock will get on

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Have you seen the video of the face unlock? It's utterly mental!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I don't agree. The design wasn't modern, but it outperforms the S8 that I had. Better battery life as well.
Performance is a tad subjective. The camera was very average, screen jutter when moving. But with 6 and 8gb of stock android it would emabrrass 99% of phones.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S

Watch how quick it is!

Lightening quick, can't deny, although you miss all your notifications (although as it's android i assume you can tell it to stay on the lock screen)
Wonder if there's some sort of trade off in accuracy/security with it processing that quickly.
Does it use the same IR system as the X? i.e. works in the dark etc

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No it can't be IR as it's too quick. It would take longer to scan via IR, it's doing something else but they didn't divuldge what!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Talking of camera issues earlier. No one does better than saf. I think the pixel is definitely this year's winner but between these 2 the note 8 is fantastic!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Filmed 1080p at 60fps instead of 4k. Inside under artificial light.

Fiesta ST-3
Ordered the 5T yesterday! Will be a decent upgrade from the 3T (which I only bought in Jan). It seems as though for years upgrades have been minimal, but this year things seem to have stepped up massively. Excited! Went for the 8gb/128gb version!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has the 5 I think and he was saying it's not much of an improvement for him to upgrade yet.
The camera is good on his though.

As for my Note. I'm convinced the first phone I had was an absolute bag of shite. The replacement lasts all day now instead of having to charge it around 4pm.
The camera is still quite slow opening from double tap and taking pictures when compared to the Nexus 6p.

I'm still not convinced it's as good as everyone makes out imo.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So, it's about a week since I got the Pixel 2 XL so just very brief thoughts on it.

• Looks and feels really premium
  • Finger print sensor doesn't seem as accurate as the Nexus 6P was. I register the same finger multiple times btw so it's not a bad print.
  • Blue shift is barely noticeable
  • The saturation mode was DEFINITELY needed and looks infinitely better now
  • No burn-in yet
  • Camera is absolutely superb, haven't done any video yet but it's really slick for stills
  • Battery life is cracking, much better than the 6P was. I only had half battery yesterday as I forgot to plugin over night and I was on 9% by 11:30PM
  • Quick charge this gen is on another level
  • Front facing speakers are again perfect, it's the sole reason I never went from the 6P to the 1st gen Pixel
  • Lock button is a little high for my liking but I'm getting used to it
  • "Now Playing" is actually really cool. I've never had any of the google assistant features enabled on a phone before now but I've found myself using it AND the Google Home Mini I got free quite a lot. It lives in the kitchen so I can put music on and do stuff without getting my phone covered in raw chicken etc.
  • The none responsive edges are right on the curve, I notice it occasionally but very very rarely
  • Vibration motor is piss poor. It couldn't get an ant aroused. I spoke to google support who said they've had no other users reporting it and that they would replace the device. I'll go through an RMA if it is just my device but I want to see if anyone else has noticed that they can't even hear it vibrating on the table next to them if there's any background noise.

So who else went Pixel 2 XL?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has the 5 I think and he was saying it's not much of an improvement for him to upgrade yet.
The camera is good on his though.

As for my Note. I'm convinced the first phone I had was an absolute bag of shite. The replacement lasts all day now instead of having to charge it around 4pm.
The camera is still quite slow opening from double tap and taking pictures when compared to the Nexus 6p.

I'm still not convinced it's as good as everyone makes out imo.

Double tap power button for camera you talking about? I can't see how it could get any quicker from a standing start.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So, it's about a week since I got the Pixel 2 XL so just very brief thoughts on it.

• Looks and feels really premium
  • Finger print sensor doesn't seem as accurate as the Nexus 6P was. I register the same finger multiple times btw so it's not a bad print.
  • Blue shift is barely noticeable
  • The saturation mode was DEFINITELY needed and looks infinitely better now
  • No burn-in yet
  • Camera is absolutely superb, haven't done any video yet but it's really slick for stills
  • Battery life is cracking, much better than the 6P was. I only had half battery yesterday as I forgot to plugin over night and I was on 9% by 11:30PM
  • Quick charge this gen is on another level
  • Front facing speakers are again perfect, it's the sole reason I never went from the 6P to the 1st gen Pixel
  • Lock button is a little high for my liking but I'm getting used to it
  • "Now Playing" is actually really cool. I've never had any of the google assistant features enabled on a phone before now but I've found myself using it AND the Google Home Mini I got free quite a lot. It lives in the kitchen so I can put music on and do stuff without getting my phone covered in raw chicken etc.
  • The none responsive edges are right on the curve, I notice it occasionally but very very rarely
  • Vibration motor is piss poor. It couldn't get an ant aroused. I spoke to google support who said they've had no other users reporting it and that they would replace the device. I'll go through an RMA if it is just my device but I want to see if anyone else has noticed that they can't even hear it vibrating on the table next to them if there's any background noise.

So who else went Pixel 2 XL?
I seriously wouldn't RMA your device for a vibrate motor if you reckon your screen is good.

Got mine today, blue shift is f**king appalling. When using the phone it's not a problem, but like reading stuff (messages, emails, webcontent) while it's flat on a desk and you're in for a nasty experience.

Edges of the screen feel weird but I'm sure you get used to it. The case I've got at home will probably remedy most of that too.

I'm going to keep it for a week to see how it goes but when I took it out the box and turned it on I nearly put it back to return it just based on that nasty blue. (I've got mild night mode turned on atm to remedy the situation).

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I seriously wouldn't RMA your device for a vibrate motor if you reckon your screen is good.

Got mine today, blue shift is f**king appalling. When using the phone it's not a problem, but like reading stuff (messages, emails, webcontent) while it's flat on a desk and you're in for a nasty experience.

Edges of the screen feel weird but I'm sure you get used to it. The case I've got at home will probably remedy most of that too.

I'm going to keep it for a week to see how it goes but when I took it out the box and turned it on I nearly put it back to return it just based on that nasty blue. (I've got mild night mode turned on atm to remedy the situation).
You updated to the latest patch? If you do and change to the more saturated mode it's loads better. Mine is hardly noticeable. I just assumed people were making a bigger deal out of it than need be.

M2 Competition
The new iphones have come out, so predictably my year old iphone 7 now crashes a lot and the screen stops working with the latest update installed.

What are my best options outside of apple?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Double tap power button for camera you talking about? I can't see how it could get any quicker from a standing start.
Yeah. It just seems to hang on a black screen for a second or two. I know it doesn't sound much but the Nexus was quicker and that's 2 years older.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The new iphones have come out, so predictably my year old iphone 7 now crashes a lot and the screen stops working with the latest update installed.

Pixel 2/2XL, Note 8, One plus 5T, Huawai P10 pro (I think)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You updated to the latest patch? If you do and change to the more saturated mode it's loads better. Mine is hardly noticeable. I just assumed people were making a bigger deal out of it than need be.

Yep still blue when looking at CS at an angle with saturated colours selected.

I imagine some phones are worse than others so could be that yours is just better than mine.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Is pixel the google phone? I have a chromebook and its been faultless. May go that way.
A couple of people on here have the XL. the 2 isn't a great deal smaller, just more bezeled area.
I was going for a 2XL but decided on the Note8 for a few reasons, mainly because I'm impatient.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Pixel if you want the best Android experience. The camera is also the best on market at the moment.

I'd say Oneplus is worth a look if you don't want to spend pixel money (would not blame you, with the imperfect screen it's horrendously expensive)

Try one in a Carphone Warehouse to see what you think of the handset but don't worry about the OS. It'll take a week or so to get used to Android from iOS but personally I much prefer it.

M2 Competition
Pixel if you want the best Android experience. The camera is also the best on market at the moment.

I'd say Oneplus is worth a look if you don't want to spend pixel money (would not blame you, with the imperfect screen it's horrendously expensive)

Try one in a Carphone Warehouse to see what you think of the handset but don't worry about the OS. It'll take a week or so to get used to Android from iOS but personally I much prefer it.

Thanks mate, good advice. I'll see how much i'm offered for my iphone and go from there. Apple can push their products in their posterior at the moment.

Black 200
Picked up my oneplus 5t from o2 store yesterday and its absolutley brilliant.

face unlock is lighting fast, screen looks as good as it could. hard to believe its still a 1080p screen because looking at it you can't tell

yet to test out the new low light camera

really can't argue for £499. Even came with a free case and screen protector pre applied

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Get a pixel XL mate. Get in to the world of android then do it with Google back up imo. Lots of updates for years aswell which always help.

That sounds more like a fault before you spend money? I've got a 7+ and the mrs a 7 both run perfect without issues.

I'm no apple fan boy and would recommend most modern Android phones but don't go wasting money.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The camera on the pixel is insane. A friend of mine who has an iPhone 10 AND 2XL says portrait mode is better on the pixel than the iPhone somehow. Of course I can't make that comparison but it seems very good. Only time I've seen it make mistakes is when I took a portrait picture of a dead fly on a table. Seems like a big improvement over the initial review videos.

I hate the fingerprint sensor on the back. It's mega s**t position wise although I think it's as fast as any other setup out there. Shame as it means I will have to upgrade next year when they implement the sensor under the screen.

Stock android is a million times better than OnePlus' Oxygen OS but there doesn't seem to be a setting to turn off the vibrate feature altogether. Pretty sure you can do this on both Samsung and iPhone.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Anyone got a Pixel 2 portrait style photo to compare? Took this earlier.
E93EA32A-D257-4CFF-BF2D-9A5939928020.jpeg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The camera on the pixel is insane. A friend of mine who has an iPhone 10 AND 2XL says portrait mode is better on the pixel than the iPhone somehow. Of course I can't make that comparison but it seems very good. Only time I've seen it make mistakes is when I took a portrait picture of a dead fly on a table. Seems like a big improvement over the initial review videos.

I hate the fingerprint sensor on the back. It's mega s**t position wise although I think it's as fast as any other setup out there. Shame as it means I will have to upgrade next year when they implement the sensor under the screen.

Stock android is a million times better than OnePlus' Oxygen OS but there doesn't seem to be a setting to turn off the vibrate feature altogether. Pretty sure you can do this on both Samsung and iPhone.
You should be able to knock the vibrate off, or at least you could on the Nexus 6p.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No way you can't turn the vibrate off. It should be sound, vibrate and then silent.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No way you can't turn the vibrate off. It should be sound, vibrate and then silent.
Done that and it still vibrates on silent. Can go into individual apps (phone, WhatsApp etc) to disable it in there and then it works. But the option in sound settings should supercede all of that I'd have thought....

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely does on my note 8. Silent is silent. It may be in the silent settings.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently it's been missed out on the pixels from what I've read.
Can change it in individual apps but a block virbate has been ommited. Bit daft really.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Do you still want a message tone though?

If not just go into do not disturb mode.
It doesn't bother me, I was trying to help Jeff. I've got a Note 8 now and the option is pretty easy to enable on that.
I remember being able to do it on the Nexus so thought you could still do it on the Pixel.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Where MKBHD tells you your phone is MVP for the year, you know you've made the right choice!

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Is a new note or pixel likely to come out in the next six months?
Want a new phone but don't want to buy one if a newer one is coming out.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Pixel is around October/November unless Google break the yearly release structure.

Not sure about the new Note. Maybe a yearly thing again.