ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Ah that can be a risk, i'm going to be sending them an Iphone 12 soon and i'm a tad concerned about it going missing, it's £250 trade in against my daughter's new phone so I don't want it dissapearing!
I'd 100% recommend covering the box they send it in with some decent tape - hindsight it's something I should have done. On the flip side, they should allow you to drop it at an Apple shop if possible.
Send it speshul drelivery?
It only costs a few quid more and should be a bit more secure / insured to 500 or something.
Yoe get sent a box with a prepaid label, luckily I had proof of postage which showed the weight etc. I can imagine it happens all the time when the wrong'uns in postal services get wind of certain addresses etc

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered a 23 Ultra to replace my Pixel 4, will be here tomorrow apparently and I'm already regretting the decision. After 4 years the Pixel 4 is still working perfectly, battery life wasn't ever impressive but hasn't degraded, still takes decent pictures still fast enough for what I do.... why have I just bought a new current generation phone?

Random Pixel 4 pictures:
3HEAwxqYNIIGmbaAafKrask=w1241-h931-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

_jWSr28nrYDc11mYpk4GjbxU=w698-h931-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

I'm sure the new phone will be better, but a grand better? Doubt it.

Plus its massive. Might back it.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
S24 ultra is also about to come out which is probably why Vodaphone were doing a good deal on the 23.

I've annoyed myself buying this tbh. I normally run phones until they stop working and yearly upgrades just don't gel with me. But my dad needs a replacement ok phone so I figured I would give him my Pixel. Originally I wanted a Pixel fold but they don't do display port out of the USB C while the Samsung does then the price of the Pixel Fold and the Fold 5 combined with how long I try to keep phones made me think twice why I didn't just buy a Pixel 8 Pro I don't know - f**king mong.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Should have got a pixel 8...

I regret getting my S22U instead of another Google phone. Camera is nowhere near what I expected from it tbh. Lags quite a lot too during various tasks and I've hardly got anything on it.

Gave Samsung a go, will definitely be changing when upgrade is due.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
In fairness it's a great phone. It's the best all round phone on the market. Watch mkbhds phone of the year video. The fact he used a phone that size for a portion of the year says a lot. He also prefers pixel. Michael Fisher also ran his (tan rear skin) for most of the year alongside his flip.

The screen and battery life alone is no comparison between the pixel and Samsung phones and never has been.

Pixel has been king of imaging for a long time but he's come from a pixel 4 so it's going to be night and day! He's going to hate the f**king size though! Maybe pixel 7a which isn't small but smaller.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Should have got a pixel 8...

I regret getting my S22U instead of another Google phone. Camera is nowhere near what I expected from it tbh. Lags quite a lot too during various tasks and I've hardly got anything on it.

Gave Samsung a go, will definitely be changing when upgrade is due.

There is a good chance Emily will break her phone within the next year, she has a pixel 5. So I could palm this off on her and buy another Pixel.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Our recent upgrade with Vodafone has fucked up. They send two Pixel 8 Pros and 2 Pixel watch 2's upgraded my wife's contract to the new one £40 per month 100 GB internet and left mine as it it with 25gb didn't upgrade my contract and haven't tied me in.

Was on the phone to Vodafone yesterday for an hour and they can't work it out so ended up saying I guess you've got a new phone for free then 🤣

Plan is to put £40 away each month, go to a rolling SIM contract in Feb when it ends and then in 2 years time if they decide they want the money we have it there to pay if not I can buy a new phone out right!

997.1, Caddy, e208
I think I've owned my phones outright since the Galaxy S2, it's always been better vfm, although it is getting much closer these days, I don't suffer from in contract price increases etc. Which given inflation, isn't a small amount.

Result that though!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Is that 'now', I can't see the buds offer just the £150 off direct with Samsung. Part of the Vodaphone deal was half price ultra everything contract for 2 years at £20 per month so it kind of comes out in the wash as I would stick with Vodaphone regardless of phone... I'm clutching here.

Has anyone used Bixby? Is it any good? I often tell google to do do things like play such-and-such song on Spotify.

I use google photos a lot, what's the integration like? as in can I easily remove pictures from the phone which have been uploaded to google easily like you can with the Pixel?

If I don't like it one option would be to back the phone and try and keep the new contract I guess. Then buy a Pixel direct from Google.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I think I've owned my phones outright since the Galaxy S2, it's always been better vfm, although it is getting much closer these days, I don't suffer from in contract price increases etc. Which given inflation, isn't a small amount.

Result that though!
The deal we got was the pixel 8pro with watch £42 per month 100gb data.

£42 x 24 = £1008

Considering the phone is £999 when not on offer and the watch is £299 we got a pretty brilliant deal at the time.

Especially when I sold a watch for £280!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah the contract vs outright deals are there abouts. You only win if you have a chunk of ‘disposable’ money and then pay a tenner on a sim only deal. Disposable being the man maths of just that.

997.1, Caddy, e208
Is that 'now', I can't see the buds offer just the £150 off direct with Samsung.
It's through the employee portal, I use perksatwork, but others will work too.

The P8pro could be had for £699 (128gb) without the need to buy a watch, on which a £280 return is a very good return, I wouldn't have expected that much tbh.

Add in 24x£10 stands you £69 saving before inflationary increases.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
i have got a Pixel 6 pro, for the most part it's been a really good phone, camera is very good, but it goes laggy on Whatsapp sometimes which does my head in, also the updates seem to take ages, but overall it's a really good phone, when my contract us due next year i will consider a Pixel 8.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Is that 'now', I can't see the buds offer just the £150 off direct with Samsung. Part of the Vodaphone deal was half price ultra everything contract for 2 years at £20 per month so it kind of comes out in the wash as I would stick with Vodaphone regardless of phone... I'm clutching here.

Has anyone used Bixby? Is it any good? I often tell google to do do things like play such-and-such song on Spotify.

I use google photos a lot, what's the integration like? as in can I easily remove pictures from the phone which have been uploaded to google easily like you can with the Pixel?

If I don't like it one option would be to back the phone and try and keep the new contract I guess. Then buy a Pixel direct from Google.
Bixby routines is awesome but just use google assistant for everything else. Google photos etc is fine.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you Gally. Nice to know we can rip each others arse holes apart in other threads but still help out. Kudos.

Using S23 now and it's taking some getting used to but I'm sure I'll get there.

All fun mate, I don't take life that seriously! Hopefully you get used to the phone. Make sure the screen resolution is full qhd 120hz.

Enjoy it, takes getting used to especially the size but once you use that screen, especially for media consumption it's hard to go back.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I'm sure the new phone will be better, but a grand better? Doubt it.

Plus its massive. Might back it.

This was the reason I ended up going for a Pixel 7 when they were for sale for £300 last month. I was replacing a Pixel 6 pro, so the jump to something like a S23U would have been less in my case.
I quite fancied trying a smaller screen size too, as I was weighing up jumping to an iPhone 15 pro (or pro max), for the LiDAR scanning, but wasn't sure if I could deal with a smaller screen

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
This was the reason I ended up going for a Pixel 7 when they were for sale for £300 last month. I was replacing a Pixel 6 pro, so the jump to something like a S23U would have been less in my case.
I quite fancied trying a smaller screen size too, as I was weighing up jumping to an iPhone 15 pro (or pro max), for the LiDAR scanning, but wasn't sure if I could deal with a smaller screen
The lidar is the single and only reason I would swap to apple. I just can't be arsed to reinvent myself as an iPhone person.

Got to say I'm slowly getting used to the size, the screen is very nice.

997.1, Caddy, e208
My battery lasted two days, though I was running it at 1080p, after a while I changed it to 1440p so it felt like I got a free upgrade

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
The battery constantly improves as the time goes on. Make sure it's on one UI 6 and up. The battery has to learn your usage. Starting at 85% always seemed mental to me though.
I did similar with the Pixel, no fast charge and used whatever settings they had for increasing battery life and seems to have worked well. Ie, battery is still good after 4 years.

Hoping this battery will do the same with the 85% setting, I belive it takes it from 1000 cycles to 2-3000 which is useful for me.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Jumped from the 12 pro to the 15 pro

Set it up as new phone and now going to have a message bout about with it over the next few days.

414450935_10159738044154327_780223347814610748_n.jpg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've come to quite like the S23u and will keep it. Does anyone else have poor reception though?

Battery has improved significantly as Gally said it would and I am getting used to the size.

On screen keyboard isn't nearly as precise which makes me think the Pixel is doing some smart stuff behind the scenes to try and workout what you meant to type. And the 12M zoom thing is a little bit of a cheeky move by the marketing team but works well.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've come to quite like the S23u and will keep it. Does anyone else have poor reception though?

Battery has improved significantly as Gally said it would and I am getting used to the size.

On screen keyboard isn't nearly as precise which makes me think the Pixel is doing some smart stuff behind the scenes to try and workout what you meant to type. And the 12M zoom thing is a little bit of a cheeky move by the marketing team but works well.
First thing I do with all Samsung phones is download Google's keyboard from the app store. It's FAR better than the woeful Samsung version