ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Official Cliosport.net 3D Thread

182 Full of Fat
On my 1st set I experienced the slightest bit of "bleed/clouding" but it was almost a non-issue. To 99.9% of the population it would never ever be noticed but like Roy I'm a sucker for perfection when it comes to things like this.

I had that panel swapped within a day of raising this issue to Samsung and now my new set has zero clouding (and I mean absolute zero) after being properly calibrated.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm, im still on the edge with this, as I have said before, my worry is getting clouding which is what you say you have Roy, which I wouldn't expect on a top of the range tv, my Sony is perfect, it's the best 2d quality tv I've seen and I'm nervous to give that up just to get 3d...

Been looking at the new es model, the replacement for the d series, has a camera on top for gestures to turn it on on and change the volume/ channel etc.

What model Sony do you have DK?

dk

911 GTS Cab
tbh, i rarely watch tv in the dark, i get bad glare with my glasses so i tend to have the lights on, but my sony's black levels are very good and i have no ghosting at all, something my dads LG suffers from and really annoys me when i watch a bluray there on the odd occasion.

i tried the glasses for the samsung too and they fit nicely over mine, the sony ones were awful for a glasses wearer. Are they bluetooth on these models? Really need to try a pair as they might have changed the design with the new tv model.

might pop into comet at the weekend to have a butchers, every time i see the sky 3d channel in my epg i get annoyed i can't benefit from it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I've just bought my mum an EX723, so i'll see how she gets on.

Nice TV tbh.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i've been looking at them too. My Panasonic GT30b had absolutely stunning PQ and unbelieveable blacks, but the "dirty screen effect", vertical banding, 2 dead pixels and vibrating speakers meant it just had to go back.

I'm undecided on what to try next - was looking at a Samsung PS51D6900, or if i could afford it, a D8000. I'm reluctant to go LCD again but my recent experience with plasma may force me to.

dk

911 GTS Cab
this is the one i am looking at, basically the replacement for the d8000, has built in wifi, and is upgradeable, they're actually going to bring out an upgrade each year apparently, so now its a dual core processor (in a f**king tv?) and then next year they'll be bringing out a quad core upgrade kit for it, god knows what for, but it sounds interesting.

030912_samsung_es8000_led_tv_1.jpg

D8000 also has Wi-Fi BTW.

In fact in a few minutes I'm gonna be streaming the latest Game of Thrones to it from my NAS.

dk, I'm not sold on the new style of stand TBH but I wouldn't complain, especially as it seems like the clouding is now fixed.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
I love my d8000 tbh. so happy with it and it looks great which is a bonus!
Got a 46 inch for £1100 from john lewis as well as they were getting the new model in so good value imo

dk

911 GTS Cab
i think i'm in love

[video=youtube_share;za_VKRuhPKA]http://youtu.be/za_VKRuhPKA[/video]

*not with him, he's boring as f**k, oh, and he's male, i'm in love with the TV!

The bezel looks identical to me.

Anyway, add Up to my list of recommended 3D content.

EDIT: something else which I don't believe has been mentioned, is that 3D is especially great with these elements;

Glass, mirrors, water and smoke. Basically anything which reflects light and/or has any transparency or translucency. Wet roads etc. are really enhanced.

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
But that isn't a problem with 3D as a technology. Ultimately the filmmakers are the ones who use the technology to its best. Cameron just happens to have done an amazing job with Avatar. That doesn't mean all other content is highly inferior. TBH how much better can it really get anyway in terms of the actual immersion? Avatar is already incredibly convincing in three dimensions. You could add more pop-out cheep thrills but then people would just label it as a gimmick.

IMO it's a showcase movie for what can be done. It's how it was used that's important. As in the creative minds of the filmmakers. The actual 3D-ness of a CGI movie can't really be made anymore convincing. They are made in a 3D world anyway, and then essentially converted to 2D for regular viewing. This is why CGI stuff looks entirely believable on a 3D display, because it is 3D. Live action is where the technology needs to improve.

The 2 go hand in hand at the end of the day. The tech needs to improve which includes the stuff to make it...
I don't think with the lack of good content it will be worth leaving my good 2d TV for at lest 2-3 years and by then glassless 3d TV (As good as or better than the one I saw the other week!) will hopefully be be mainstream and not too expensive.

RS6 C7
My neighbour bought the samsung s8000 after she was broken into and they stole pretty much everything.

It's by far the best picture quality iv'e seen and the 3d is perfect but i wouldn't spend £2500 on a tv and surely the thieves will be back..

Personally I believe people are too hung-up on the glasses 'issue'. AFAIK the tech for glasses-free on a big screen is neither perfected, or anywhere near market at a reasonable price. Those waiting for this are gonna have a long wait IMO, so if you do want 3D, or you just want a new TV anyway, then get onboard and enjoy it now. I would say the average household keeps a TV no more than five years anyway. Yes I just made that up but it can't be too far off the mark. It's not like you're stuck with it for life.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
i think i'm in love

[video=youtube_share;za_VKRuhPKA]http://youtu.be/za_VKRuhPKA[/video]

*not with him, he's boring as f**k, oh, and he's male, i'm in love with the TV!

Dear god. What a horrendous looking OS/Control system.

The OS is cool. The Smart Hub works really well. However, sack talking to a TV and waving your arms around. Mine doesn't have that feature and TBH I'm glad it doesn't.

My car has voice controlled everything, pretty much, and I never use it. Why? because it's easier to press a button!

I now have a mental image of dk talking to his TV and spilling popcorn everywhere trying to do the gestures.

Audi S1
I have a fair few 3D Blurays to watch... got them all for Christmas but just haven't had the time to sit down and watch them.

I have a few on Sky to watch as well. For me I'd quiet like a bit more in your face 3D.

182 Full of Fat
Am I the only one who really doesn't care for "pop out" 3d?

It's all about the depth for me whilst keeping the awesome quality. A lot of pop out stuff (real content, not cgi) creates a lot of unavoidable crosstalk that no sets can process properly yet.

Creates a sort of tacky effect imo.
It's good for showcasing the panel in some cgi scenes but I hope directors don't start creating sets/films specifically around pop out content.

Got transformers to watch tonight, hope it lives up to the hype!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
i've been looking at them too. My Panasonic GT30b had absolutely stunning PQ and unbelieveable blacks, but the "dirty screen effect", vertical banding, 2 dead pixels and vibrating speakers meant it just had to go back.

I'm undecided on what to try next - was looking at a Samsung PS51D6900, or if i could afford it, a D8000. I'm reluctant to go LCD again but my recent experience with plasma may force me to.

Ahhhh I'm guessing yours also suffers from green blob?

Check mine out lol

5ec0de03-1957-2c7a.jpg

Audi S1
It's because you're not watching it in HD ;)

I watched Gnomeo and Juliet last night. Was alright, wouldn't recommend it though.

SQ5
3D is best on big screens or projectors IMO, anything less than 100" just ain't baller ;)

58e42e85.jpg

977785d8.jpg

4125a2ca.jpg

We've always seen it as a bit of a gimmick really unless your doing it properly, so we blacked out all our windows that didn't have any blinds etc... This room is basically a dark room now (light is for effect ;))

2014 Focus Titanium
I've got a 3D TV (LG 50" Active 3D) and I have to say that so far I prefer sport and documentaries to movies, but that's basically because my model of TV is notorious for Crosstalk (I wasn't aware until after I bought it but now it's blatantly obvious in anything but a bright scene). That's why I prefer sports because you can't really tell the Xtalk is there, but in dark scenes in films I find myself concentrating on the amount of Xtalk rather than the movie :(

I'd love to see a 3D movie an a TV which has 0 Xtalk, I bet it would be fantastic.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Ahhhh I'm guessing yours also suffers from green blob?

Check mine out lol

5ec0de03-1957-2c7a.jpg

It didn't actually have any green blobs, but the dirty screen was really bugging me on football. Anyway, amazon have refunded me £700, just need to decide what to get next. Unfortunately all the new decent TVs are well over a grand.

dk, I was looking at the D8000 replacement in a store the other week. The build quality has suffered in a big way. The fit and finish of the bezel is awful, especially in the corners. Also, the stand looks like cheap plastic.

The D8000 is definitely the better looking TV. IMO of course.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I haven't been to the store yet to see one, I'm afraid that if I go I might come back having bought one....

Octy VRS
For the people that wear glasses, does it bother you? I found it a pain in the arse when I saw Avatar as the glasses didn't fit over my normal ones. I was left with a choice of watching a blurry screen without 3D bins or blurry and not able to focus properly with them, which gave me a headache. I cannot get on with contacts so it's a major issue for me until the non glasses screens are readily available and cheap enough.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
For the people that wear glasses, does it bother you? I found it a pain in the arse when I saw Avatar as the glasses didn't fit over my normal ones. I was left with a choice of watching a blurry screen without 3D bins or blurry and not able to focus properly with them, which gave me a headache. I cannot get on with contacts so it's a major issue for me until the non glasses screens are readily available and cheap enough.

Depends if active or passive glasses. Mines a passive 3D tv and the glasses fit over my glasses perfectly and ya can't tell ya wearing two pairs really. However, my mates active ones, I could only just get them over my glasses, and even then it was uncomfortable

dk

911 GTS Cab
This was something I looked into, being a glasses wearer myself. I discounted the Sony as they just didn't sit well over my glasses, but the Samsung ones did. But then each manufacturer seems to have several different designs these days anyway.

MY10 R35 GTR
Been looking at the new lg 47/55 lM670t.

Seems to get a few good reviews, my current lg was notorious for cross talk on 3d, wasn't the main reason I bought it. But the smart apps etc appeal.

Audi S1
dk, I was looking at the D8000 replacement in a store the other week. The build quality has suffered in a big way. The fit and finish of the bezel is awful, especially in the corners. Also, the stand looks like cheap plastic.

The D8000 is definitely the better looking TV. IMO of course.

Completely agree with you. I hate the new stand as well.

Just seen the 3D 'remake' of Titanic.

Really impressed. The best live action 3D I've seen so far. All the more impressive given that it's a conversion. It does still suffer from some rare instances of 'cardboard cutout' that often seems to plague live action 3D, but overall it was brilliant, and super involving. I've seen this movie a few times, but I've never enjoyed it so much as I just did in 3D.

BG Clio 182
Does anybody have the Samsung UE40ES6300?? I am in the market for a new TV and dont want to spend a fortune, this has had great reviews the only thing, that im unsre about is the issue of Input lag for gaming as i plan to use this with my PS3 i want to make sure its p to the job. Can anybody shed any light on this?
[h=1][/h]

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
A friend has the 70" Sharp LCD (don't recall the model number) which seems to be pretty good at the 3D. Glasses seem to fit over my normal specs without any issues.