ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I’ve always seen this thread but never actually clicked on to it until now, last few pages are a decent read.
finally taken the plunge and ordered myself a custom build from Overclockers and it should be arriving this week (15 working day lead time at the minute :cautious:).
Probably need to dig a bit deeper into this thread to see what people are playing most as I’ve been bound to Xbox for the past 14 years.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve always seen this thread but never actually clicked on to it until now, last few pages are a decent read.
finally taken the plunge and ordered myself a custom build from Overclockers and it should be arriving this week (15 working day lead time at the minute :cautious:).
Probably need to dig a bit deeper into this thread to see what people are playing most as I’ve been bound to Xbox for the past 14 years.

Nice one, what spec you went for?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
So the beast arrived yesterday and it's a thing of beauty.
Currently only have a 60Hz 4K monitor so been ramping up the graphics settings without losing any real-world frame rates.
Jurassic World: Evolution runs beautifully at 4K60, as does Assetto Corsa and I must say, it's a joy using something so silky smooth.
Usual PC issues with random drivers refusing to update (I'm looking at you Intel Smart Storage) and system-wide keyboard shortcuts not working but other than that I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Could easily spend the next week on Euro Truck Sim2 with my G920.
2020-06-24 10.44.44.jpg

2020-06-23 14.44.41.jpg

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I didn't even bother looking for a 2004 changelog, I'd updated a few VMs with it and not had any issues so seems stable enough.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Attempt number two at my Christmas monitor (bit late lol?). LG 27GL850 should be here in the morning so will see how that goes.

You finally settled on one then. Looks like it’ll be a nice upgrade over what you currently use!

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I'm of a very similar mind... I want to see one firsthand before making a decision though. As you say, the videos and reviews are promising.
Curves in all the right places :love:
I know what you mean though, hard to tell from videos just how curved it is, how wide the screen is and just how big the stand is.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
I can only wish for those kind of speeds 😂

Has anyone had a PSU go before? turned my computer on and it made a loud pop and tripped the fuse box and wont turn on anymore.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I can only wish for those kind of speeds 😂

Has anyone had a PSU go before? turned my computer on and it made a loud pop and tripped the fuse box and wont turn on anymore.

They can go, some will make a pop sound if they get turned on after being unplugged from the mains for a while. It’s the capacitors in them, and sometimes that can kill the psu.

Either that or a fuse has blown.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I've read and heard a few stories of PSU failures over the years. It's not something I'd want to mess around with tbh. As really good ones can be had for so cheap nowadays I'd just replace it.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Attempt number two at my Christmas monitor (bit late lol?). LG 27GL850 should be here in the morning so will see how that goes.

Had fully committed to this mid week (pulled the protective film off and everything) but I couldn't stop seeing this glow on black/dark screens so ripped it off the wall yesterday. Boxed up in the garage waiting for DPD now.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Had fully committed to this mid week (pulled the protective film off and everything) but I couldn't stop seeing this glow on black/dark screens so ripped it off the wall yesterday. Boxed up in the garage waiting for DPD now.

I see what you mean about the glow now, I must have got lucky with my screen!

It’s quite a common issue with IPS panels by the looks of it.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Built my lad a PC for his 13th birthday, old bits but good enough to run modern games.

Thermaltake V21 Mini iTX Case
i5-3570k
MSi H61 Mini iTX Motherboard
Cooler Master H410R RGB CPU Cooler
16Gb RAM
120GB SSD for OS
2TB HDD
MSi Afterburner GTX 980

Keyboard - Corsair K65 RGB Lux
Mouse - Corsair Sabre RGB

I will look into upgrading the MB and CPU, later this year/next year, depending on what becomes available.

He fired up Warzone and instantly said “I’m not playing this on Xbox again” 😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Built my lad a PC for his 13th birthday, old bits but good enough to run modern games.

Thermaltake V21 Mini iTX Case
i5-3570k
MSi H61 Mini iTX Motherboard
Cooler Master H410R RGB CPU Cooler
16Gb RAM
120GB SSD for OS
2TB HDD
MSi Afterburner GTX 980

Keyboard - Corsair K65 RGB Lux
Mouse - Corsair Sabre RGB

I will look into upgrading the MB and CPU, later this year/next year, depending on what becomes available.

He fired up Warzone and instantly said “I’m not playing this on Xbox again” 😂
Does this mean he's allowed to swear then? 😂

It's part and parcel of being a PC player, you have to call people a c**t when they kill you 😂

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Does this mean he's allowed to swear then? 😂

It's part and parcel of being a PC player, you have to call people a c**t when they kill you 😂

I’ll be sure not to invite you into any games he’s on 😂

Chuffed with it then haha!

He sure is, he’s spent the last 20 minutes playing in iCue to get the colours how he wants them 😂

Just wait until he gets used to K&M for the controls - especially on an FPS. He'll almost consign the gamepad to the bin!

Need to sort him out a desk or something to rest the K&M on then I’m sure he’ll be set!