ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
That just leaves the need for storage. SSDs are so cheap now-a-days I think your best going all SSD. Smaller capacity M.2 SSD for the OS and standard SSD for games.

F82 M4
With the annoucement of the new Nvidia 3000 series today I've decided to do a pretty hefty upgrade. So I'll be selling some stuff if anyone is interested -

i7 8700k
Asus Z390 Strix-F Motherboard
Corsair H100i AIO cooler
EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 GPU
Alienware AW3418DW 34" monitor 120hz

Give me a shout. Will be selling pretty cheap :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting seeing them taking over more of the CPU's workload too, with the rate GPU performance is increasing and the rate CPU performance... isn't, it's probably not surprising, but it should mean the CPU is less important in terms of gaming performance in future. Maybe one day we'll be buying GPUs with integrated CPUs in much the same way as we currently have Intel CPUs with Integrated Graphics. Maybe a seperate CPU won't even be needed at all.

The AI voice/broadcast stuff isn't anything new but still works really well and probably has applications outside of just gamestreaming.

I'm probably going to go for a 3070, not sure I can justify the cost of a 3080 for playing Assetto Corsa but I do want to get Flight Simulator so it could be worth getting a 3080. Most excited for HDMI 2.1 though, finally I can run 4k120hz.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I will be having a look at the 3070 as a replacement to my 1070 then, might not even need a CPU upgrade yet if it's taking on more workload.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
All the numbers Nvidia showed were with RT on. Turn it off and the 3080 will perform the same as the 2080Ti. It’s the same every release. Its the current 2080 being just as good as the 1080Ti.

Nobody (that played MP games) will turn RT on. They’d rather have no RT and a gazillion more frames.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Big £700 gap between the 3080 and 3090. Good space to fill with a Super and a Ti.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Retaliate lol.

I can't remember the last time AMD retaliated!

A man can dream... Unfortunately NVIDIA haven't been sitting on their bums refreshing a 14nm process for 7 years like Intel have. I don't expect them to have an answer to the 3090, but if they can be some what competitive in both price and performance for the 70 and 80 range, i might be able to finally ditch this NVIDIA blob driver. If not I guess it will be team green again.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone that thinks a 3070 will crap on a 2080Ti is deluded. Blind follower of the Nvidia hype train :ROFLMAO:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Anyone that thinks a 3070 will crap on a 2080Ti is deluded. Blind follower of the Nvidia hype train :ROFLMAO:

I don't believe that for one second, I do believe it will be a nice jump up from my 1070 without breaking the bank though. Being able to turn RTX on would be a nice bonus too.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

Oh this is all speculation. Until someone actually gets a card in their hands and benchmarks it we won't know. But even if it's 90% as good as a 2080ti which is not unbelievable, it'll be a bloody bargain compared to dropping £1.2k on a 2080ti.

EDIT:
118692772_10157642088337469_3913221542507785156_o.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
if it goes like most launches the 3070 will be equivalent to the 2080. Good bang for the buck card right there. Though even the 3080 at £700 is a good deal, for a Nvidia card.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
if it goes like most launches the 3070 will be equivalent to the 2080. Good bang for the buck card right there. Though even the 3080 at £700 is a good deal, for a Nvidia card.

you say that...

1070 wasn’t far behind the 980Ti. Not sure on 2070 vs 1080Ti though.

F82 M4
Was weighing up the 3090 but definitely doesn't warrant its price tag over the 3080. So I'll definitely be ordering an EVGA 3080 as soon as it's available 🙂

F82 M4
I'm thinking, I already use a good chunk of my 11GB VRAM now, so going for the 3080 is a downgrade in that department. So might wait for the 3080 Ti which is rumoured to have 20GB...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'm thinking, I already use a good chunk of my 11GB VRAM now, so going for the 3080 is a downgrade in that department. So might wait for the 3080 Ti which is rumoured to have 20GB...
This is the thing that a fair few people forget about.

When running ACC at my 1440 resolution, it's using 5.7GB VRAM just sat in the pits. That's comfortably under the 8GB that my GTX1080 comes with - but it's clearly a sign of the demand that's there (and increasingly so) within gaming.

I would be a little squeaky-arsed buying a new GPU in 2020 with just 8GB onboard - especially if I was looking at a potential move to widescreen or 4K display in the next 12-24 months. Of course, at the other end of the scale is the 3090 with the 24GB - something that I think the likes of Andy (@SharkyUK) could only fully utilise right now??

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Did I read somewhere that it's meant to be 1GB per megapixel in theory and anything more is poor programming?

I remember when PUBG came out and ruined VRAM requirements, I've had a QHD monitor (3.7megapixels) for ages now coupled with a 980Ti (6GB ??) which does the job, but many times PUBG would max out the VRAM which is just silly.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I think to be honest with modern memory speeds etc having to transfer textures to/from the card when necessary isn’t as big of an issue as it used to be, especially with the 3000 cards pulling data directly from the SSD. I’m sure a lot of games will happily use more VRAM if they can get it, but it’s not a dealbreaker.

I mean half the gaming world is still rocking 4-6gb and not really suffering and if NVIDIA thought it was that important they’d probably not go 16gb less VRAM from the 90 to the 80.

F82 M4
Yeah I'm still going to go for the 3080 I've decided. A guy on OCUK made my mind up.

Remember that you'd be able to 'upgrade' to the 3080ti quite readily because I imagine the second hand market for the 3080 will be quite vibrant.

Same thing happened when I upgraded from a 1080 to a Ti. It had no issues being sold :)

F82 M4
Selling from 17th Sept if anyone is interested :)

i7 8700k - £150
Asus Z390 Strix-F Motherboard - £90
Corsair H100i AIO cooler - £50
EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 GPU - £295