ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
What do you folks do to identify an occasional stutter?

PC is decent spec (3070, 5800x) but every 30 seconds to a minute I get a single 0.2-0.3s stutter which I'm guessing is a background process doing something but I can't 'capture' it to find out what it is that's causing the stutter. Really annoying as it's buttery smooth the rest of the time and the CPU is hardly being pressed.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, you're definitely right there. Only having 2Gb hurts it for modern games, but it blitzes F1 2019 and GTA 5 for example. I've been really impressed with it for what it is, certainly better than anything else I could find which was going for £100.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I am hoping on the 18th October to join this thread, on the basis SCAN pull their fingers out and build the PC…..

200.gif

Set up so far;

Screen:

PC:

Just need to sort mouse and keyboard now…..

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I am hoping on the 18th October to join this thread, on the basis SCAN pull their fingers out and build the PC…..

View attachment 1559862

Set up so far;

Screen:

PC:

Just need to sort mouse and keyboard now…..

That'll do nicely. I would consider a better screen though mate if possible? And maybe a bump to 32GB? You're pushing some serious hardware there and the screen resolution means you won't come close to realising what the system can actually push. I thinks it's only a 2560x1440?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

PC is decent spec (3070, 5800x) but every 30 seconds to a minute I get a single 0.2-0.3s stutter which I'm guessing is a background process doing something but I can't 'capture' it to find out what it is that's causing the stutter. Really annoying as it's buttery smooth the rest of the time and the CPU is hardly being pressed.

0.2-0.3s is a significant stutter given the spec of your system. If some background task/process is responsible then I'd add that it shouldn't be doing whatever it's doing in a background process and/or something has gone wrong. Useful, eh? Until the next time PC fwends...

Joking aside, I'm assuming you've tried all the obvious stuff such as disabling AV, utility exe's, updaters, etc. that run at startup and aren't absolutely necessary? Basically closing everything other than essential services and processed. Are you getting anything logged in Windows event viewer? Ensure Windows Game Bar / DVR, etc. are disabled as well to be on the safe side whilst looking for the culprit. No device conflicts I'm assuming (unlikely but worth a glance over Device Manager)? How about if you disconnect from the network on which you're sat?

Might be worth taking a quick look with Process Explorer as well - see if anything obvious jumps out at you.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've tried shutting everything down in terms of utilities, unnecessary programs etc, haven't checked Event Viewer yet. Will try a few other steps, but my main issue is both the usual ctrl alt esc and Resource Monitor don't update quickly enough (yes I've changed it) to capture that spike, I was wondering if there's an app out there that has an even higher refresh rate that can log so I can see that spike and what process is using the CPU at that moment. I'll give Process Explorer a go.

I'm in work for the evening now anyway.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
That'll do nicely. I would consider a better screen though mate if possible? And maybe a bump to 32GB? You're pushing some serious hardware there and the screen resolution means you won't come close to realising what the system can actually push. I thinks it's only a 2560x1440?

Have you got any screen recommendations my friend? Needs to be 27 inch…

I won’t bore you with the story about asking them to put more Ram in (they haven’t even built it yet). They refused as it’s a “fixed spec”. 🙄

I’ll lob some more in a few months down the line….

Ordered these, although as @Jonnio notes, the mouse may be like a tic-tac for me 🤣

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5XJLWK/?tag=cliospnet01-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VYGXM36/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Aye I’d go 4K. Not sure how high a refresh rate you can get though. I know there’s 120hz but they’re over double the price of the one you’ve posted.

Same keyboard as me. I’ve had 1 or 2 keys slightly fade (as in the display of the letter) which is quite poor imo considering it was a £200 keyboard. I’ll be getting a new one (60% one imo) next.

edit: mines the TKL version but same thing. Sort of. 😂

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got any screen recommendations my friend? Needs to be 27 inch…

I won’t bore you with the story about asking them to put more Ram in (they haven’t even built it yet). They refused as it’s a “fixed spec”. 🙄

I’ll lob some more in a few months down the line….

Ordered these, although as @Jonnio notes, the mouse may be like a tic-tac for me 🤣

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G5XJLWK/?tag=cliospnet01-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VYGXM36/?tag=cliospnet01-21

27 inches - ok, that narrows down the options somewhat but it is certainly enough to deliver a pleasurable experience. The same applies when talking about a potential monitor purchase, too. 👊

I'm a big Acer Predator fan and have been using them for a good few years now. If you have budget to burn and can find an X27P then I'd consider that (about £1700 quid though) - (link)

Pros:
  • 4K UHD
  • HDR (1000 nits)
  • G-Sync
  • Superb for gaming, also very good for productivity / work
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • End of life hence hard to get, replaced by X28 model (forthcoming)

I'm also a fan of ASUS ROG products so would probably be looking at something along the lines that @Moonshot posted above if the Predators didn't take my money. If you do decide to stick to 2560x1440 then there are some nice options but it seems a shame not to go 4K when you have that setup.

HDR is becoming more popular on gaming monitors, but isn't always present - so ensure any monitor purchase supports HDR if it is something you want. Likewise, look to ensure the monitor has G-Sync compatibility - it will work directly with your graphics card to provide the best / smoothest possible stable framerate whilst you are gaming. Again, it's not essential to have G-Sync compatibility but if you're spending all that hard-earned on an nVidia GPU then you might as well make the most, and get the most, from it.

I think that Gigabyte are due to bring out their M28U (28 inch) 4K monitor soon so might be worth checking that out. Its predecessor was rather good and I think this will likely be a good choice, too. Not sure on the pricing (probably around 750-850 quid) and not sure on G-Sync compatibility though...

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
27 inches - ok, that narrows down the options somewhat but it is certainly enough to deliver a pleasurable experience. The same applies when talking about a potential monitor purchase, too. 👊

I'm a big Acer Predator fan and have been using them for a good few years now. If you have budget to burn and can find an X27P then I'd consider that (about £1700 quid though) - (link)

Pros:
  • 4K UHD
  • HDR (1000 nits)
  • G-Sync
  • Superb for gaming, also very good for productivity / work
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • End of life hence hard to get, replaced by X28 model (forthcoming)

I'm also a fan of ASUS ROG products so would probably be looking at something along the lines that @Moonshot posted above if the Predators didn't take my money. If you do decide to stick to 2560x1440 then there are some nice options but it seems a shame not to go 4K when you have that setup.

HDR is becoming more popular on gaming monitors, but isn't always present - so ensure any monitor purchase supports HDR if it is something you want. Likewise, look to ensure the monitor has G-Sync compatibility - it will work directly with your graphics card to provide the best / smoothest possible stable framerate whilst you are gaming. Again, it's not essential to have G-Sync compatibility but if you're spending all that hard-earned on an nVidia GPU then you might as well make the most, and get the most, from it.

I think that Gigabyte are due to bring out their M28U (28 inch) 4K monitor soon so might be worth checking that out. Its predecessor was rather good and I think this will likely be a good choice, too. Not sure on the pricing (probably around 750-850 quid) and not sure on G-Sync compatibility though...

I can’t justify another £1700. No way.

But, the one @Moonshot linked is viable. I’ll punt for that methinks.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I shall brung next week. Just dropped money on an RC car, mouse and keyboard. Mrs Cub will be suspicious if too many parcels arrive in one week 🤣🤣
Just get the help to hide the parcels.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
If there's anything decent on the Dell site, I think I get 15 or 20% off monitors (applies to stuff on sale too)

Similar on laptops etc

Can wang across a code if someone needs one

Evo 5 RS

Tried looking at Latencymon?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Stop being a vagina @Cub. and spend YOUR money👀🤣

As long as your maid and butler are paid, the kids have clothes on their back and food in their stomach then you're golden. Just remember you're the man of the house and the biggest and strongest in your house so you can take any of them 1v1

🤣🤣🤣

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Anyone sub to any decent PC gaming youtube channels?
Not necessarily just gameplay/streaming but builds, reviews etc?
Already subbed to Austin thingie.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Phew, got the measurements right and the new GPU does fit nice and cosy. Straight in, no issues, job's a good 'un. I've not had time to play with it yet other than run a few work / CUDA research projects on it. The performance is bonkers.

20210930_155957.jpg

It makes the outgoing 2080 Ti look small (it isn't!)

20210930_162912.jpg

20210930_163041.jpg

20210930_173303.jpg

20210930_173437.jpg

I'm looking forward to both working and playing on this bad boy. (y)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I think we should do a CS poll on how long your shovel hands will last playing on a keyboard

You’ll be using a controller within 2 weeks imo

Last night wasn’t too bad. Much prefer the aiming and recoil control. But the movement is taking some getting used to.

I played the last two games of WZ back on controller as I was too frustrated. 🤣

My plan is to play slower paced games in single player for a month or so on Keyboard, get ready for Battlefield to drop…. 😍

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I think we should do a CS poll on how long your shovel hands will last playing on a keyboard

You’ll be using a controller within 2 weeks imo

His paws are too big he kept firing random shots on Warzone 🙉