ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

BMW M4; S1000 RR
See I would quite enjoy getting another screen to put infront of a sofa for sort of couch gaming.

But to do it with a 1440p main monitor you need to run them as seperate screens. Idealy the GPU would just scale the main screen down to 1080 for the 2nd one but I haven't worked out how to do that. If you can.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the TV is actually linked up to my Sky HD Box too and is on a pivot so I can move it along the wall so it's infront of the sofa that's to the left of the desk.

Not a bad TV for the price either.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
^ Yes - the DX12 EMA features can work very well indeed. I'm not sure why the results vary as they do through swapping the order of the GPU's around but there's such a relatively big shift in the underlying driver architectures / layers that it could be down to many things. DX12 is shaping up nicely from what I've seen / experienced and it's good that Microsoft's DX team are taking time to get it working properly.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Looking at upgrading mine at the moment, but struggling to decide on memory. I can't decide between 32GB and 64GB, my sensible head says 64GB will never get used. Looking at the ASUS Rampage V with 5820k. It seems you can't just buy 32GB now and add 32GB at a later date (mixing even 2 identical kits isn't recommended)

A shiny black one.
Is 32gb even necessary? I only use mine for gaming so you may need to excuse my ignorance. I've got the rampage 5 and 5930k with 16gb does the job for my needs.

Yaris Hybrid
Yeah I was about to upgrade a 3770k to a 6700 or 5930 and was mulling over the quantity of RAM.

I believe 16GB will do the job for gaming for the 3 years that I keep a mobo/RAM/CPU combo.

We won't be seeing a new console generation until a few years from now and they seem to be the driving force behind big leaps in PC hardware requirements such as the VRAM hungry games that appeared after PS4/XO launched. So I don't see the games I play requiring more RAM in the next few years. It is VRAM that I believe I will need more of.

Yeah for heavy duty non gaming applications there are benefits to 32 and 64.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
To be honest, I will be buying high end GPUs further down the road and replacing my monitors, but the majority of my gaming will be on Xbox One these days, this is the main rig I work from the majority of the time. I think I'm just going to stick 32GB in it and be done with it, if I decide to run Hyper-V on it for any reason it will have the RAM to be able to do so, at the moment I can't think of any reason to do that though as all my VMs run 24x7 on my main server.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Probably not much use but I do some fairly heavyweight projects / coding on my rig that involve significant amounts of CPU cycles and memory usage; and 32GB has proven to be more than ample in all but the most extreme cases. That said, my rig doesn't run VM's so...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Running VMs is probably one of the main reasons for most in needing 32/64gig.
Use 32gig in my work laptop for that reason and could do with more but think it's maxed out!

Quite fancy getting a proper PC again after a good few years without one, maybe see what this months commission will be like.... :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Out with the old, in with the new... :) I had planned on getting the Classified but it had sold out and I couldn't wait, hence went for the normal SuperClocked version instead (which saved 20 quid LOL!).

gtx980tisc_vs_gtx780tisc_01_zps0lp917bh.jpg

gtx980tisc_02_zpstuygfhth.jpg

I'm gagging to try it out but have so much work to finish off today!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've not had real chance to use mine yet (been called away with work for a couple of days) but I've worked on them in work and they are a great card. The performance is crazy for a single card solution! I'm seeing 30-40% improvement over my 780 Ti SC!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've ditched the CPU/MB/Memory upgrade idea again for the moment, but I'm tempted to order the Hydro Copper 980ti and finally ditch my 3 x 580s.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I just hope it works ok with my two current 1080p monitors, I've tried one over HDMI with my 580 and although it comes on at 1920x1080, it's not right as the taskbar is half off the screen as is the top section of the screen. Worst case scenario I'll end up getting new monitors as well or a second 980ti.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You can fix that in the Nvidia control panel. Overscanning or something but if you can't sort it at the TV end you can create a custom resolution which fits. My little monitor is actually 1824x1026 for example.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Thanks, I did wonder if there was a setting somewhere but didn't think to check the NVidia control panel, I know I've had similar on the HTPC and TV downstairs.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Its amazing how much things move on, I've just removed the 3 x 580s ready for the 980ti and have just stuck an air cooled 760 in (from my HTPC) to keep me up and runnning and the picture is so much crisper and the computer so much more responsive loading things on-screen.

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Well its been a bit of a faff, but I've finally got the 980ti fitted. It turns over the over scaling was due to the monitors being set to HDMI AV, as soon as I set them to HDMI PC its spot on. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow as they won't come out great now.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
It turned out to be a lot more of a faff today, turning the computer on this morning after everything was fine last night resulted in it only seeing 1 of the 2 monitors for some reason (despite the NVidia control panel clearing knowing of 2), the driver set didn't seem to want to re-install either. So I ended up wiping the system and finally got to the bottom of my Windows 10 boot issue, as I suspected I don't think it likes the ASUS motherboard's Marvell controller with a vdisk configured, so I ended up removing the vdisk and switching my SSDs around to make the newer Samsung EVO 850 500GB the boot disk, not only has this seemed to have resolve the matter, but it also seems noticeably quicker to boot than the 840 Pros.

IMG_2136_zpsh2puxxfv.jpg

I've ordered an extension lead for the led strip on the left as I never got around to sorting one out, but that's it for now. I'm thinking 2 x new monitors next, looking at the ROG ones.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
With regards to monitors, I know everyone likes to have matching ones, but my BenQ would drive me mad if I only had those. Browsing the web, where these days most websites are white looks horrible, as do videos etc. I really don't like them for anything other than gaming on because lets be honest, who ever bothers to change the colour profile depending on what they are doing?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah I only want 2 matching monitors (currently have 2 x 27" Viewsonics). The ROGs seem to have mixed reviews however, so I was debating just going for 1 BIG one, but I don't think it will work as well as having two large ones.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I only want 2 matching monitors (currently have 2 x 27" Viewsonics). The ROGs seem to have mixed reviews however, so I was debating just going for 1 BIG one, but I don't think it will work as well as having two large ones.
That's why you need 3. One gaming monitor in the middle and the two outer ones with IPS panels for watching stuff and browsing the web, then it is still symmetrical which is almost as good as matching

just thought I'd ask here before posting in the wanted thread, I need a graphics card (NVidia) to get me by while I deal with what's turning out to be a lengthy warranty replacement with overcockers. please pm if you have something kicking about which will give me a reasonable gaming experience at sensible money i'm using a gtx285 right now and its pretty painfull. ta :)

Clio Trophy
I got fed up of Fallout 4 chugging, so got an upgrade, will see if i can afford to treat myself to a freesync monitor before xmas

P_20151112_1103091_zpsplrbzwqg.jpg