ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Finished the Logitech/Fanatec hybrid eventually. It's been a bit of a trial of patience, but got there in the end. The pedal base is now connected to the frame floor in no less than ten places - so that fecker isn't moving at all - even under my size 10s. The main reason for doing so was having drilled the frame for the top edge of the pedals base to fit, the rear of it had no support frame underneath to be bolted to. Luckily, there's a central section of the pedal base that would allow 40mm bolts to be passed through and to the aluminium base plate below. Obviously aluminium, even when its pretty thick, isn't the strongest of components - hence the shotgun approach to the centre bolts. I'd rather over-engineer it to begin with - especially if it doesn't have to be removed.

Tried it with both Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 last night and it works a treat. I'd be massively quicker using the paddle shifts for gears, but there's something more fun and tactile coming up to a corner, pressing the clutch and braking whilst downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Now there's just the small matter of cable management and cable-tying the frame...:)

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9637.jpg

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Does your clutch work in PC2? I find that in manual mode if I put the clutch in it doesn’t work the car just keeps driving, but if I put the clutch in when in auto it will disengage the gear :unsure:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does your clutch work in PC2? I find that in manual mode if I put the clutch in it doesn’t work the car just keeps driving, but if I put the clutch in when in auto it will disengage the gear :unsure:
Yep - worked fine for me. Assetto was a little weird in that the clutch was greyed out so I couldn't complete the calibration of all the other settings. Turns out that there was a setting applied for 'Automatic Clutch' that has to be disabled before you can assign it.

In Assetto, you get the opportunity to select the inputs and then tick a box to invert them. Not sure if PC2 has similar, but that sounds exactly like what you need.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Yep - worked fine for me. Assetto was a little weird in that the clutch was greyed out so I couldn't complete the calibration of all the other settings. Turns out that there was a setting applied for 'Automatic Clutch' that has to be disabled before you can assign it.

In Assetto, you get the opportunity to select the inputs and then tick a box to invert them. Not sure if PC2 has similar, but that sounds exactly like what you need.
If you invert the pedals in PC2 it switches the clutch the acc, for people who mount them upside down.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you invert the pedals in PC2 it switches the clutch the acc, for people who mount them upside down.
How does that work then - bit puzzled on that?

Wouldn't it still need a measurement recording the spring depression or load cell resistance - regardless of floor mounting or from up above the pedal? I know that in Assetto, the default calibration of the pedals shows the recording at 100% (as if I'm fully depressing it) when I take my foot off the pedal. If I started the game with that, the throttle would be at 100% and undriveable. Ticking the invert box allows them to run as you'd expect with more pressure increasing the value recorded.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
How does that work then - bit puzzled on that?

Wouldn't it still need a measurement recording the spring depression or load cell resistance - regardless of floor mounting or from up above the pedal? I know that in Assetto, the default calibration of the pedals shows the recording at 100% (as if I'm fully depressing it) when I take my foot off the pedal. If I started the game with that, the throttle would be at 100% and undriveable. Ticking the invert box allows them to run as you'd expect with more pressure increasing the value recorded.
I think I might have got it wrong, before I got the full game when I was playing the demo occasionally I would start the game the accelerator would be working as the clutch and clutch working as the accelerator, I had to reset the pedals to standard or something in the settings to get it back to normal, I assumed it was the invert setting that had caused it. I really need to start playing with the settings, I haven't changed anything from standard set up yet.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I think I might have got it wrong, before I got the full game when I was playing the demo occasionally I would start the game the accelerator would be working as the clutch and clutch working as the accelerator, I had to reset the pedals to standard or something in the settings to get it back to normal, I assumed it was the invert setting that had caused it. I really need to start playing with the settings, I haven't changed anything from standard set up yet.
It can be a bit of a ballache to get setup right! In all honesty, I'm impressed at the flexibility of most modern games to cope with a whole range of inputs - even when the likes of Assetto are getting on in their years.

I've currently got a Logitech G13 gameboard connected, an XBox One controller, a Logitech G920 wheel, a Fanatec ClubSport Shifter and a Fanatec CSR Elite v1 pedal set - and the game will accept inputs from any of them. I did think about putting all the 'technical' controls onto the XBox pad, like brake bias, etc - but haven't got that far yet.

Conversely, it frustrates me when you get companies that are entrenched in the way inputs are set. "No - you have to use that key for that. And this key for that function" - when clearly as seen above, it's not difficult at all to let the player choose themselves as to what is better for them.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
It can be a bit of a ballache to get setup right! In all honesty, I'm impressed at the flexibility of most modern games to cope with a whole range of inputs - even when the likes of Assetto are getting on in their years.

I've currently got a Logitech G13 gameboard connected, an XBox One controller, a Logitech G920 wheel, a Fanatec ClubSport Shifter and a Fanatec CSR Elite v1 pedal set - and the game will accept inputs from any of them. I did think about putting all the 'technical' controls onto the XBox pad, like brake bias, etc - but haven't got that far yet.

Conversely, it frustrates me when you get companies that are entrenched in the way inputs are set. "No - you have to use that key for that. And this key for that function" - when clearly as seen above, it's not difficult at all to let the player choose themselves as to what is better for them.
I think something like this might be my next project..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I think something like this might be my next project..

Not got a spare 600 Euros lying around? ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Pedals aren't silly money by the looks of it?

• This product includes pedals inverted modified parts, without the pedals
What you’re getting there is the black plastic part for modifying the pedals.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Not got a spare 600 Euros lying around? ;)

I’d rather knock something together and use the pedals I already have (just standard G29)

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Have you got the gteye mod yet for the springs? Well worth it, imo.
All still just standard at the moment.

I need to actually start using it at some point, I’ve spent way more time putting it all together, frame, seat, gaming laptop, vr, etc, than I have playing on it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the brake pedal has gone back to being a lottery when you need it. Nothing, nothing, 40% - wham 100%. Or worse - downshifting to a corner and just nothing coming back from the middle pedal. Hello Mr. Barrier.

So.... took a punt on a replacement load cell through eBay (less than a tenner) and then needed to address the PU foam issue within the brake cylinder. Over time, the foam fails one of two ways. It goes rock solid with no give whatsoever. Or it goes that soft as to offer zero resistance and attempts to 'mushroom' out of the opening. Reading online, a number of people have replaced these with PU rods of Scope A50 spec - though some have gone as high as A70. That must be Olympian levels of thigh muscles that require that, as A90 PU is used within suspension components.

Managed to find a online seller in Sheffield that will do a 30cm PU rod cut down into 25mm lengths for a cheap price. Might keep a couple for myself and sell the others through eBay for the other poor Fanatec saps who are suffering a similar issue. Assuming it fixes the problem that is. ;)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Have you got the gteye mod yet for the springs? Well worth it, imo.

I ordered a GTEYE brake and throttle spring this morning so hoping for a little more control with the throttle. I find it difficult sometimes to do small pedal inputs at the mo.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I ordered a GTEYE brake and throttle spring this morning so hoping for a little more control with the throttle. I find it difficult sometimes to do small pedal inputs at the mo.
Nice!

I found the throttle quite subtle in difference - but the brake was night & day difference.

Iirc, the cylinders that the spring fall into are all the same diameter. There would be nothing stopping you in putting the stiffer spring into the throttle, I guess?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Meh - my replacement A50 PU rod idea didn't exactly go according to plan. Stripped the brake pedal setup again last night to insert the new load cell. Typically, the cable on the new load cell itself was about an inch too short, we then required drilling a feeder hole through the base plate.

1582879227568.png

Ran that to where it should go, connecting to the PCB underneath and set about swapping the Fanatec foam block for one of the A50 rods delivered. Oh dear. The result had the same about of give as pressing a house-brick under foot. Completely too stiff - another lesson learnt not to believe everything you read on the internet and that A50 is a close replacement for the OEM item - clearly it's nothing of the sort.

However, swapping that for the standard Fanatec foam with the new load cell has made the brake pedal work perfectly. Through the calibration software, I've got gradual pressure and control over the brake pedal now. A bit of wasted money, but something else learnt!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
My 1070 is getting a bit long in the tooth, and once some VR headsets are back in stock again (f**king Half Life) I want a graphics card upgrade..

What's worth buying nowadays? Second hand or new, not too bothered. I guess with up to 400 quid I'm looking at second hand 1080Ti's or Titan X's?

@Silent_Scone - got any junk hanging around? 🤣

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Guys I'm looking to get a rig for Sim racing.

With the eventual end goal being VR. Whats the minimum in specs I'd need for that kind of set up.

A few people saying a 1080i isn't enough?

Current suggestion is:
4ghz+ quad core
12gb ram
>1080ti

With the eventual end goal being VR. Whats the minimum in specs I'd need for that kind of set up.

Current suggestion is:
4ghz+ quad core
12gb ram
>1080ti

I'm running the following and getting in the region of 80-100fps in F1 2019 with all the detail set to max
  • Ryzen 7 3700x (8 core @3.6ghz, boost to 4.4)
  • 32gb ram
  • AMD RTX 2060 Super
  • drives are all SSD

So I have a few more cores, a lot more ram but an inferior gpu. I'd suggest you try and get to 16gb ram minimum. Whether a faster cpu with less cores is better or worse will depend upon whether the program is built to use all the cores or not.

I've also just started use an Oculus Rift S with project cars 2, but other than saying it makes me want to hurl after 30 minutes, it's too early to give any meaningful feedback :sick:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Current suggestion is:
4ghz+ quad core
12gb ram
>1080ti
1080Ti's are still a powerhouse of a card. Might be worth looking into the specs of the game itself - some are really quite CPU dependant - the likes of ACC is one for definite that benefits from a beefy CPU.

If you go baller-spec - the 2080Ti would easily cope with VR. That said, I've read that people with one of these behemoths can still struggle in VR. I know @Arran_ said his is OK above - but I tried Project Cars 1 via a GTX1080 and with VR and thought it was crap. Standard view - absolutely fine, but the VR overhead was just too much. Not seen PC2 on it, so they might have improved performance overall.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
A 1070 will cope with most VR tbh, let alone a 1080 Ti

It's only when you're trying to push the Valve Index at its max refresh rate that a 2080 Ti might make a bit of sense

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
My Rift S arrived today. Half Life Alyx lives up to the hype. Holy s**t

Recomend it? Haven't been tempted before with the older systems where you needed room sensors etc.

Running a 7700k with a 1080 so should be ok running stuff I'd have thought.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Recomend it? Haven't been tempted before with the older systems where you needed room sensors etc.

Running a 7700k with a 1080 so should be ok running stuff I'd have thought.
It's really good, although I'm a dickhead and I've scratched one of the lenses ALREADY with my glasses. Waiting for some watch face polish to arrive to see if I can buff it out, internet seems to suggest it will (and some screen protectors for them)

My 1070 was absolutely fine with HL: A from what I could tell, so your 1080 will be fine

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm may be a treat then once this years commission starts rolling in. Although need to have a look and see what games to use it with :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Stuff I played yesterday:

Beat Saber (amazing, when you start loading it up with custom songs from the internet)
Half Life: Alyx
Robo Recall (shooting robots, good fun)
The Climb (mountain climbing simulation. 20 minutes of it made me feel a liiitttle bit sick)

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Stuff I played yesterday:

Beat Saber (amazing, when you start loading it up with custom songs from the internet)
Half Life: Alyx
Robo Recall (shooting robots, good fun)
The Climb (mountain climbing simulation. 20 minutes of it made me feel a liiitttle bit sick)
If you fancy a bit of a workout get ‘thrill of the fight’ I was completely fucked after 3 rounds, the mrs couldn’t hack more than one round, it’s only about a fiver too.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’m looking to get some slimline 120mm fans to replace the originals on my H100i V2 and H75. Ideally something that’s nice and quiet as I have both of these coolers in a Corsair 250D.

My first thought was to get something by Noctua, but if anyone has experience with anything else then I’ll happily listen.

Thanks!

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
So my 1070 Ti is hooked up to my usual monitor with a displayport but also a TV which I move around the house via a wireless HDMI set.

With Geforce drivers from November installed everything works but any with any of the later drivers the HDMI TV isn't picked up/outputted to. Just tried the TV plugged straight into the card and it's the same as well.

Anybody got any ideas for a fix?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Started on iRacing tonight, tried it many moons ago and I don't think I got out of rookie. Following the advice of some YouTube channels I've had 2 races so far and have done qualifying, then just started from the pits to make sure nobody ruins my safety rating thing

First race I finished 4th.. was carnage. Second race I think I was 10th out of 11th and didn't see anyone aside from 1-9 maybe who all came past me

It's pretty fun though, even finishing near enough last. Qualified 7th then 8th. My lines are all wrong on some of the corners but I'm getting there. Still trying to get a feel for the MX-5 and the track, and my wheel isn't the best (Still rocking a Driving Force GT!)