ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

the sound of a williams wow!

Black 172 MK2
my m8 has a williams and he drove past me today as i was walking home and it sounds ammazing and its completly standard (big girl lol).

why does it sound so mad??

Black 172 MK2
hmmm it is all in working order just sounds sooooo dam good, il have to look under the bonnet next time he bought it 'standard'

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Maybe he's gone loco with the black&decker on the airbox lol

Monkey I'm still doing the ironing!;)

Vee dub
Yup, mines all standard and sounds awesome when pressing the fun pedal... nice and quiet when pootling about, then you get a nice induction noise.

:approve:

Black 172 MK2
personaly it has a better induction roar than my 172 but then im always in my 172 and iv only heard his williams form outside lol

320d
k3nnis said:
How about comparing to a mk2 172? Does the 172 sound better?

Cheers,
k.

The valvers / williams engines defo sound better than the 172's in standard form, IMO its helped by the cable throttle

Civic Si
it is infact my williams that this thread is about,
it is completely "el naturelle" and sounds the dogs altho i didnt expect all you 172 owners to appreciate willy's unique sound. :cool:

plus serg, think your car could with a bit of a wash.
i've got a sponge you can borrow if ya want mate :rasp:

VaVa
How the f**k does a cable throttle make your engine sound different? Are you trying to tell me a ph1 172 sounds better than a ph2 172 because it has a cable throttle? I can't get my head round that one. Or are you talking interference from the potentiometer? lol.

A standard Williams sounds a bit weedy imho. 172's etc sound sound better, if a little 'rough'.

i've no idea what a std Willy sounds like... not heard much what a std 172 sounds like either, there were too many rattles

Civic Si
all i can say is its a 172 owner who prefers the sound of a willy.

serg, but i've cut a hole in the sponge so you can wear it as a mit!!

decat, remap and cams are all standard fare, zorst is modified cheating madness though :p

they both sound pretty pants in the scheme of things though, the Willy is just stupidly loud and when you do put an exhaust on it seems to just amplify the engine ten fold lol

VaVa
lol... agreed. I thought the 172 sounded deeper, but still gay. I want to know how they manage to make silent exhausts lol. All I could ever hear when mine was standard was a bit of induction noise. And the odd rattle, naturally. lol.

I'm not just saying this because I'm bias, but imo the Williams sounds A LOT better than a 172! I'm talking standard, like for like here.

I test drove a 172 before I bought my Williams, having already driven the Williams, and one of the first things I thought when driving the 172 was that it was quieter and didnt have the lovely induction growl you get with the Williams with the peddle down. Now I put this down to the fact its a more modern car with more emphasis on the refinement of the engine.

The Williams is a much more raucus beast than the 172 and it sounds it! Everyone who rides in my Williams comments on how good the engine sounds.

Black 172 MK2
haha apart from when your driving :p plus it the 172 will sound alot nicer once im finished.

SC 172 FF
iv never heard any mint soundin standard 172s.....allthough there were a few at the hillpower RR day with WC....not sure if they were standard or not but the blue 172 cup sounded quality :D

wen my williams was compltly standard i thought it had a nice deep sound 2 it wen drivin at higher revs and it wasnt 2 bad at lower revs either

megane coupe F7R
The first thing i noticed about my valver when i drove it was the noise, its one of the best sounding engines in a hatch imo. Such a roar when you put ya foot down lol and everybody looks round.

Civic Si
well looks like its settled them, willys and vavlers sound better standard than the 1 7 poo's!:rasp:

Vee dub
LOL Agreed ^^

My valvers all standard and "naturelle" as you said lol.... wouldn't change anything on it tbh!

Here's a surprise a thread about a williams that ends up in a 172 bashing/williams superiority one. Change the record ladies :sleepy:

Loony said:
Here's a surprise a thread about a williams that ends up in a 172 bashing/williams superiority one. Change the record ladies :sleepy:

agree with Loony, we should turn this into a "my cars better than yours because it's newer and Reno tell me it has 172 horses" thread instead :sleepy:

works the same both ways really, and you'll prolly find it was a 1*2 owner that started the baiting... a mod no less... if I'd created this post imagine the uproar from all of you taggarts, Griff inbox would have been full in minutes and that would just be Evonone and his crying resulting in another ban lol

so, with regards to changing records how about less of the crying everytime you see a thread you dont agree with, as that record has been on repeat for about 16'000 posts... :rolleyes: :rasp:

roids?? nah, I dont do exercise...

... just call things as I see them, always have, always will... I just dont see the point in moaning about these posts. stand back for a minute and look at how many posts there are in this forum... quite a few, so it's safe to say that every subject bar a new car being released has been covered... so we may as well not post and just use the search facility lol

yes these posts have been done to death, but will they ever stop being discussed? unlikely, so I guess you'll just have to ignore them bud! besides, a bit of banter is much more entertaining than pictures of clean cars imo...

I had a Williams, as well as a 16V and 172. The Williams and 16V both had induction kits put on them by me and sounded amazing (and much the same as each other) - they were much meatier in sound than my 172 with an IK and the sound wasn't just there after 5k rpm.

With standard airboxes on, none sounded particularly better than the other.