ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The time has come

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've been looking at clio's 172/182's for a while now and decided to go for a 182 ff with cup packs in artic blue. I'll be buying one in about 6 weeks, as i've heard there sooooo good to drive, i've got a number of things i'd like to ask though

1) After watching top gear 182 review are these beauties really as cheap and nasty as they say? I'v only ever driven a 1.2 and that seemed ok to me. But do things really just fall off?

2) What mpg do you actually get as i'll be doing about 20k a year.

3) It's a french car so how often do they break down? What problems are common and what should i check when buying.

4) I've heard the driving position is bad, but how does this compare to normal clios as they seemed fine to me.

Thanks for any feedback,

182FF c/w Recaros
I've had mine for a tad over 1 month.

So far....

About 35mpg (quite a lot of Motorway driving though)

1 warning light been on for a few days so having it checked out tomorrow.:dapprove:

Driving postion aint so bad for me. Only major downer is the steering wheel which is too big:mad:

1) Nothing has fallen off mine so far, you do get the odd rattle and vibration though.

2) About 32mpg a lot more if you do motorway driving.

3) Mines never broken down, although I’ve had a few niggles with shocks and warning lights (ended up needing a sensor replacing).
More here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116249

4) Driving position’s fine for me, the seat and the steering wheel are adjustable!

Go and find one to test drive, once driven forever grinning!! :D

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Ok thanks alot for this, that link seems really usefull, another question (Don't hurt me) can you put a roof rack on it? want something to carry my bikes on. So it appears there is lots of niggles rather than the car just not working?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i dont have a 172, got a 1.2 16v but the actual car its self is similar..

driving position is fine for me, seats are brilliant, really hold you, and adjustable head rests are nice!

it rattled slightly, worst part being the sunroof which a 172/182 doesnt have so thats a bonus. although my mums 05 plate 1.2 16v rattles more than mine (and mine is lowered!) so suppose its just luck of the draw!

mine has done 125,000 miles in 4 years and is spot on only fault was a coil pack which was replaced, the rest has been wear and tear such as a clutch, wheel bearings and engine mount, thats all in 4 years and 125k plus parts are resonably cheap.

on top gear clarkson was talking about how cheap it is, hes used to more expensive cars, mine is much better inside, interior wise than say a simmilar aged corsa, punto etc etc

best thing to do is get yourself a test drive, good luck

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah i thought he would be comparing it to expesnive cars, i've only ever had a 1.1lt n reg 106 and a 02 corsa SXI so anything is better than those! I think i'm just being over protective, i just want a fast petrol car before fuel prices go through the roof and all this fuel cell rubbish comes.

Think i'll find a dealer and go give one a burn on the open road.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
dont worry about it mate, ive drove a 53 plate 1.2 16v SXI and it was a complete heap, the clutch was about as light as my accelerator pedal, couldnt use it smoothly the dashboard was made of cheap plastic and it was boring to drive, it didnt seem to pull any harder as it got up the revs just stayed the same and got louder. the thing did rev to about 7k in first tho which i was impressed with lol

and thats compairing it to a 1.2 16v clio never mind a 2.0 16v one :D

Roof rack yes (I’ve seen one with surf boards on the roof!), niggles yes…but you soon forget them when you drive it!

Clarkson is paid to find pro’s and con’s and I think he gave a fair report on the 182, however I find the interior to be better than he gave it credit for, I think it’s a very robust little car and the seats are great.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
oh aye forgot to say that ally and 2 others have roof racks on theirs for their bikes.

PICT2341.jpg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oh thanks allot guys :) i'm going to defo buy one as soon as i get a job when i move away from london :) hopefully i'll see some of you at the renault track day things you go to, always wanted a reanults sport/williams since i was a youngun.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
oh one more quick one what rpm's the engine doing at 70, 80 and 90 mph?

Yaris Hybrid
1, Rattles in places, had a knocking engine mount that I fixed with a bit of rubber.

2, 32mpg

3, Not a break down as such, had an emissions light come on but it cured itself by stopping doing short journeys.

4, You get used to the position. Its not brilliant but after a while you don't notice. Its the same position as my old 1.2 was.

About 3500 at 70?

133/225/CLS AMG
The build quality really isn't an issue if you look after the car. I recall Clarkson saying how cheap it was but bear in mind he tests cars that are worth hundreds of thousands and then gets in a £14k car!?!?!?! It is cheap so won't feel like a supercar! lol

The driving position isn't too bad, i'm 6'1" and get in my missus car and find it comfy, in fact I actually find it a nice change from my Megane 225 so no worries there.