ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The TT conversion is underway now

PH1 172
Glad to hear the project has been started mate as a few times I have been down I have just seen the tt engine sitting in the corner and you itching to get started on it lol

Good luck with the project mate and look forward to seeing the beast out on track :)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Seem to be plenty of people lining up to piss on the fire when it comes to these threads!

Fair play to Mike for doing it i say. Another thread to keep track of!

Lotus Elise 111R
Seem to be plenty of people lining up to piss on the fire when it comes to these threads!

I quite agree. Alot of talk really. He can do what he wants to go faster surely, and if he gets an extra channel of business in the future, why not?

Plus, the point is that he CAN. He has the hardware and the know how. I for one will be awaiting this Mike, both from a general interest point of view and to see if customers cars will come under the knife.....

After all, they have been putting them in elises for a while very successfully.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Its pretty hard finding a decent Mk1 Exige with a K-series engine these days.....alot have had VAG or Honda conversions.

Not that im surprised. The VHPD K-series is a ticking bomb usually.
Mike will prob have better reliability from the VAG lump compared to the Renault one!

LY 182
Stick an oil pump in it before you chuck it in! done 2 this week on 20v turbo engines both had under 80k on them.

clio 1.7 turbo
smart mate should be really good ive just a volvo 440 turbo engine in my clio its brill, keep goin wit the hard work mate

Lotus Elise 111R
There was a guy at Spa last month with a civic type R with a centrifugal supercharger literally bolted on top, no internal mods, intercooler, and was "supposedly" pushing out 400+ bhp.

Another guy had a Lotus 340R with the CTR supercharged engine in it.

Both of these absolutely flew, giving GT3RS's barely any time to move over!

Surprise is half of fun of these conversions. Just like Yoz's "1.2"....

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
A 340R with a CTR engine? Wow....now that must have fecking flew. They are quick enough standard.

Actually that setup would appeal to me more than an Atom personally.

Williams20V-306BHP
Another TT clio ;) good idea with the subrframe. That was something i had to do in the MK1. Matt didn't but im sure he'll agree its needed to get the shafts at a better angle, Matt ended up removing some of the inner chassis to get the shaft threw. Your biggest issue will be the intercooler i'd recomend a second hand Evo one they flow very well. Good to see you've converted the box from hydro to mech with the passat lever although the ratio is wrong i had to shorten mine quite allot. Matt just made his car hydro (allot more work he'll agree)

another thing to note you might wanna get a quickrack the manuals are a little slower than the pas and feels a tad weird on track.

lol and what Will Dave walker say when you take it to be RR'ed. just make sure you tighten that EGT valve ;)

M140i
About time this started Mike lol, remember stripping that gearbox off the engine about 8 months ago pmsl :) Will be a beast when it's done, reckon Ill still be quicker tho lol!

FTO GPX Mivec
Been a little while since i posted here, managed to keep my 172cup and had the enjoyment of driving a LCR for the past few months but im simply not happy, im going to go back to my cup, its simply more fun!!! will miss the power though the 225 engine provides, I appreciate if i wanted similar performance on my clio i would have to turbo it? any ideas how much it is to turbo a clio 172cup to a reliable standard?

after all, the seat should bring me in 8k as its fantastic condition.

Sunburn

yup, I've seen a 500bhp one in a Mk1 shell... now that's f**king mental!

Silly silly! Matt's old shed only had 400 and something and that was a pain in the ass to even start.

the two main clues here are "Mk1 shell" and "500bhp"... it's not Matt's car, his was 425bhp and in a Mk2 shell ;).

And Matt didn't have that much trouble moving off the line, not with 1.8 or 1.9 60ft times and 0-60's in 4 seconds or under or whatever it was

titanium 182,
sounds like a good project though i personally would do it to an elise or vx220 500 bhp and front drive will be well um pointless
my friends golf rallye is currently 350bhp 20v and does 10.2 quart's
and he is just building a 500bhp for it but he only uses it as a toy
you will just about make that time if your lucky with drag front tyres and a jacked up rear end but then if its just for the shear hell of it being a monster carry on :)

Williams20V-306BHP
Silly silly! Matt's old shed only had 400 and something and that was a pain in the ass to even start.

the two main clues here are "Mk1 shell" and "500bhp"... it's not Matt's car, his was 425bhp and in a Mk2 shell ;).

And Matt didn't have that much trouble moving off the line, not with 1.8 or 1.9 60ft times and 0-60's in 4 seconds or under or whatever it was

lol i think he ment "starting" as in turning the car over not off the line. The new owner (also called Matt) has sorted that and fitted a bigger turbo. now running 490bhp+@ 1.7bar IIRC.

but what is this 500bhp mk1!! piiiiiiiics ;)

Nippy white cup
Just read most of this before I realised lol.....one thing I don't get....the guy who says his m8' golf rallye gets 10.2 1/4 with less than 400bhp....I doubt that seeing as Jordys Scirrocco get thats with 500bhp and a 2.5 0-60

Chris

Iceberg 172 Cup
Had a bit of spare time today, the job I had booked in didnt turn up:mad:
So said to Dave what you going to do, well with that he had my clio on the ramp whipped the engine and box out of it in record time:eek:
So finnished the jobs I had to finnish off and sat at work now is my clio with a TT engine in the engine bay.
Still needs loads of work, spent tonight cutting the subframe so engine would sit in enought for me to shut the bonnet.
ECU has been sent off for upgrading to emeralds latest firmware.
Taking the camera in tommorow to get some pics, and as promised Ile do a TT conversion guide.
All being well I hope to have the car up and running by january, plenty of time IMO.

are you a Renault Tuning company? say's alot for renault. IIRC the TT was the MOST unreliable car on the road....

Nippy white cup
The TT Clio or the Audi TT? Matts clio just needed some more mapping and a few other bits to get it sorted...pretty sure Norm sorted the starting issues. The Scirrocco I mentioned has had a lot less problems using the same engine (unbelievably uses a standard golf diesel gearbox!) but when you are pushing so much power through a 1.8/1.9 engine you are going to get problems.

Chris

Having fallen in love with a Volvo Turbo powered R5 (rear engined) @ Donnington, I'm all for quality conversions

Just leave it 'stock' outside please!

you mean my old RWD 5;)

fcs1.jpg

fcs.jpg

The TT Clio or the Audi TT? Matts clio just needed some more mapping and a few other bits to get it sorted...pretty sure Norm sorted the starting issues. The Scirrocco I mentioned has had a lot less problems using the same engine (unbelievably uses a standard golf diesel gearbox!) but when you are pushing so much power through a 1.8/1.9 engine you are going to get problems.

Chris

yeah chris the clio was totally re-mapped when i took on the build, it was one of the first jobs we tackled, the old start up map was pritty much none existant where as the on load map was reasonable:) took us a few weeks to get the map perfect but it was done!

Ph2 172
What are you going to do about the drivetrain? Will a renault gearbox fit? Will you need custom shafts?

PS - Lovely project. Always nice to see something different! A mongrel!

M

mini-valver

Mike decided against the conversion in the end and fitted a 182 engine with manual steering etc I think. The cars for sale now aswell IIRC.

535d / t5 caravelle
just read through all that.................and he's flogged it with a 182 lump in it? :rolleyes: only kidding, if thats the case then so be it, at least you had a do, shame it didn't pull off :D

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
good conversion, im doing this also at the moment.

for the person on about why put a VW into a clio, and not a golf?

Because the clio handles a lot better than a golf, is probably lighter (than a mk2 for sure) it just needs that extra poke and 300hp is piss easy from a 20vt engine.

A clio 16v with wide track and 300hp should be good fun! ;)

EDIT: Just noticed this thread is a year old! lol

CopyofIMG_0095.jpg

Last edited:
  535d / t5 caravelle
Have you got a project thread on it adam_16v? and how you getting on with it? how far are you off f**king it off lol, mk1 20v turbo :cool:

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
project thread is on here mate, but havent updated it for ages as the car is away having the mounts made up and the subframe modified/strengthened.

535d / t5 caravelle
cool, i'll have a look for it, got to be the ultimate mk1 imo, ( ultimate clio in fact ) handle like f**k and goes like f**k! love it, if these conversions ever become popular/more available i think thats the route i'd be heading down.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
they should be at some point matey, lets just say mine is v1.5 as things are being done differently to the last one, and will possibly be available as a plug and play setup at some stage in the near future.

I agree with you though, its piss easy to drop one in a mk2 golf, but a mk1 clio on a track will be so much better and not forgetting the sleeper status!

I went out in a mk1 20v turbo on a renaultsport track day and it wiped the floor with every other car on the track!

ValverInBits
project thread is on here mate, but havent updated it for ages as the car is away having the mounts made up and the subframe modified/strengthened.

we need a serious update mate :)

My 20v MK1 is starting soonish. Got car, widetrack, couple of other bits and bobs, going to look at an engine at the weekend, once i've got an engine,
experiment with mounting:S, then give emerald a call:cool:

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
update will be a good one, just waiting till i have plenty to put in it!

Had one hickup, i bought a Ko4 from a guy from ebay which turned out to ebe fuked, but have since got another one, but some room has been left for an IHI at a later date after some investigation into size and space required....but will leave this for the update lol!